Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Aaron Boone

Unlike many on here, I'm going to give Brendan a chance. We have to.

illdecide

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 21, 2016, 11:28:32 PM

Correct...although I think TF is the only one on here that believes he's a bluffer. I suppose the opinion from the worlds most inform striker on BR wouldn't matter that much as Tony's opinion is better.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Tony Baloney

Quote from: illdecide on May 22, 2016, 12:41:46 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 21, 2016, 11:28:32 PM

Correct...although I think TF is the only one on here that believes he's a bluffer. I suppose the opinion from the worlds most inform striker on BR wouldn't matter that much as Tony's opinion is better.
You had it nailed on earlier. If he wins a competition and meets Rodgers he'll he sucking the balls off him telling him what a great fella he is.

T Fearon

I meet,if I choose to,the Celtic manager at every AGM.This I fear is another Tony Mowbray.

ned

Quote from: T Fearon on May 22, 2016, 01:16:53 AM
I meet,if I choose to,the Celtic manager at every AGM.This I fear is another Tony Mowbray.

You probably didn't rate him and in the end Celtic were stagnant under him, but Strachan was good for a quip. It must have been you he was talking about when he said "we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down."
Rodgers might be a disaster but he has not even been officially unveiled and you have him as a flop.

bennydorano

T Fearon

On the contrary I enjoyed the Strachan era,particularly the night Man Utd were beaten,which just happened to be my birthday too.I simply do not see the euphoria surrounding Brendan Rodgers,who has won nothing.Then again we live in an era where the likes of Klopp are eulogised for taking teams to finals and losing.

general_lee

A good solid appointment by Celtic. A better, more experienced manager than his predecessor. Also welcoming as it shows signs that the board are willing to loosen the purse strings a little - which is a necessity for next season. Icing on the cake was seeing a few flops sent packing this as well.

T Fearon

Agreed.But no need or justification for any euphoria yet.The guy would have taken the Swansea job again ahead of Celtic if he had been offered it

ned

Quote from: T Fearon on May 22, 2016, 11:50:37 AM
Agreed.But no need or justification for any euphoria yet.The guy would have taken the Swansea job again ahead of Celtic if he had been offered it

Not sure that is true, unless you have inside info. Which would you prefer? Aiming for top ten in EPL and possible European place with the backing of 50-60 thousand Swanseans OR less money to manage an iconic and world known club, possible CL competition every year, adulation of hundreds of thousands of Celts and the chance of winning a few trophies. BR is a self made man. Not everbody is motivated solely by money.
Calculated risk for us and him. If he gets it right he will enhance his reputation and as he is a young man has plenty of time to scratchthe EPL itch again should the desire take him. However, I see him managing a biggish European team outside of the UK eventually. Only job I would see him taking in England (if he is successful elsewhere)  is Chelsea.

T Fearon

He had three years at a reasonably big English Premiership club and failed miserably.

rrhf

With His experience he can do the Celtic job in his sleep

Estimator

Quote from: ned on May 21, 2016, 10:55:03 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 21, 2016, 09:41:36 PM
Reasons why I'm sceptical about £45k a week (and a rumoured £15 m transfer chest ) Rodgers are:

1.3 years and won nothing with Liverpool and lost the league title from practically an unassailable position.

2.Presided over  a 6-1 defeat by Stoke City, yes that's Stoke City.

3.I was at Old Trafford in December 2014 to witness an abject Liverpool team lose 3 nil to LVG's Man Utd.

4 Won one match out of four in his only Champions League involvement against mighty Basle and Ludogorets.

5 Progressed no further than round 32 of the Europa League.

Just because you come from Co Antrim and managed Liverpool without success does not make you a good manager and certainly does not merit a £45k weekly salary..

That 6-1 game was at the end of the season. Tools had been downed. Had Liverpool closer to the title than they y had been for a long time. Losing 3-0 to Man U isnt great but isolated results are not very helpful in analysing his credentials. His European performances leave a bit to be desired. However, I am hopeful he has learned lessons.
Certainly prefer BR to Moyes. Beyond those two I think any other appointment is a step down. Didn't want another RD.
Was it Mickey O'Neill you wanted TF?  Wouldn't have minded him but I feel Rodgers is a notch or two above.
Poch presided over a 5-1 defeat against Newcastle, yes Relegated Newcastle!
I'm sure your opinion of him isn't the same.
Ulster League Champions 2009

under the bar

For all Rodgers ineptitude he has approx 6 years premiership experience and the same at least in the championship.  As RRHF points out, albeit in a perhaps different way,  managing Celtic should be relatively less challenging to his previous assignments.  His gung-ho attacking style will be well received by the Celtic fans but like his predecessor, his European naivety is likely to be his shortcoming.

T Fearon

Yes,but does he justify a £45k salary and a £15m transfer fund.His record in the transfer market is nothing to write home about either.I do not see any passion from him,he strikes me as conservative and a bit morose.I do not see what all the hysteria is about.