Quote from: straightred on April 20, 2016, 07:45:52 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2016, 07:18:09 PM
Quote from: straightred on April 20, 2016, 06:42:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2016, 06:29:00 PM
Quote from: lenny on April 20, 2016, 03:55:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2016, 03:44:42 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 20, 2016, 02:09:20 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2016, 01:42:18 PM
If Lennon returns  then Jim has a chance,  otherwise it's off to Cowdenbeath.

Jim will be heading home...Lennon will not have Jim there. Anyway don't think Lennon will get job...Malky Mackay possibly
You're probably right about Lennon not getting the job, though it would be a pleasant surprise if he did, because  he would want guarantees of transfer funds and backing to build a team good enough to get through the CL qualifiers, never mind just beating Rangers.
Celtic will appoint some manager who has some experience, who will be just glad to get the Celtic job and an ex player to appease the fans' questions about his Celtic fc ethnicity.

Celtic fans are not in the least bit interested in his ethnicity. His ability to do the job is the most important thing. Jock Stein, the greatest manager of all time, came from a rangers background but Celtic were happy to appoint him.
You haven't been following the script, have you?
When Lennon was first appointed, his Celtic connection was used as a factor in his favour and gained him some time as he stuttered in his first full season.
Mobray's celtic past was also used in his favour to gain acceptance initially.
If there are 2 managers with very similar credentials being considered and one has a strong Celtic past, just who do think the fan's would favour?

In the long run it doesn't matter and any manager regardless of celtic past will quickly run out of favour with the fans, as Mobray did.

Horsesh*t. Mobray was a disaster and it didn't take long for the fans to work that out. Blind loyalty is daft
Which part is horsesh!t?   this part?
"any manager regardless of celtic past will quickly run out of favour with the fans, as Mobray did".

any manger who is struggling will be under pressure regardless of the club. Delia should have been gone before Christmas but far too many Celtic fans and the board were willing to give him more time when he clearly wasn't up to it. If anything I think Celtic haven't been ruthless enough in this regard.
My question was, which part of the text you highlighted  in bold was horsesh!t in your opinion?

I might have picked you up wrong; if so, apologies

I though the insinuation was that the fans were a fickle bunch and they'd turf anyone out at the drop of a hat. My view is that the fans have been far too patient in the past with duds such as Brady, Barnes and Mobray
That's  fine, no problem

Brady gave one of the best ever quotes about a manager's  experience at Celtic
"I was told when I joined about Celtic's ''paranoia''. Now I know it is true. We are hard done by. Religiously and politically, there are people against us."
;D

lenny

Quote from: Main Street on April 21, 2016, 02:51:10 PM
Quote from: straightred on April 21, 2016, 02:31:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2016, 09:19:38 PM

Jim will be heading home...Lennon will not have Jim there. Anyway don't think Lennon will get job...Malky Mackay possibly
You're probably right about Lennon not getting the job, though it would be a pleasant surprise if he did, because  he would want guarantees of transfer funds and backing to build a team good enough to get through the CL qualifiers, never mind just beating Rangers.
Celtic will appoint some manager who has some experience, who will be just glad to get the Celtic job and an ex player to appease the fans' questions about his Celtic fc ethnicity.

Celtic fans are not in the least bit interested in his ethnicity. His ability to do the job is the most important thing. Jock Stein, the greatest manager of all time, came from a rangers background but Celtic were happy to appoint him.
When Lennon was first appointed, his Celtic connection was used as a factor in his favour and gained him some time as he stuttered in his first full season.
If there are 2 managers with very similar credentials being considered and one has a strong Celtic past, just who do think the fan's would favour?

In the long run it doesn't matter and any manager regardless of celtic past will quickly run out of favour with the fans, as Mobray did.

Horsesh*t. Mobray was a disaster and it didn't take long for the fans to work that out. Blind loyalty is daft
"any manager regardless of celtic past will quickly run out of favour with the fans, as Mobray did".

any manger who is struggling will be under pressure regardless of the club. Delia should have been gone before Christmas but far too many Celtic fans and the board were willing to give him more time when he clearly wasn't up to it. If anything I think Celtic haven't been ruthless enough in this regard.
My question was, which part of the text you highlighted  in bold was horsesh!t in your opinion?

I though the insinuation was that the fans were a fickle bunch and they'd turf anyone out at the drop of a hat. My view is that the fans have been far too patient in the past with duds such as Brady, Barnes and Mobray
That's  fine, no problem

"I was told when I joined about Celtic's ''paranoia''. Now I know it is true. We are hard done by. Religiously and politically, there are people against us."
;D

Why the smiley face? It is a fact that rangers are the establishment club and Scotland is very much a protestant country (around 80%). A large percentage of the population of Scotland are rangers supporters and hate the Irish identity attached to Celtic. Celtic was set up as a club to help alleviate poverty and discrimination in the east end of Glasgow which was heavily populated by Irish immigrants. That Irish identity will always be a part of the club and a lot of people who write on here disparagingly probably have relatives who were helped by the charity of Celtic football club.

ashman

Brady was an awful manager and despite his many talents was never cut for such a gig.

He bought players such as Cas , Stuart Slater and a crocked Gary Gillespie . 

His tactics were very naive and the players never found him great.

Also the Celtic board at that juncture were inept and broke and Celtic were in the shadow of resurgent Rangers.

Brady's line is a comical excuse .

general_lee

Scotland is not a "Protestant" country. Protestants Christians are a minority in Scotland.

AZOffaly

Quote from: general_lee on April 21, 2016, 03:29:47 PM
Scotland is not a "Protestant" country. Protestants Christians are a minority in Scotland.

How do you make that out?

Main Street

Quote from: lenny on April 21, 2016, 03:13:00 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 21, 2016, 02:51:10 PM
Quote from: straightred on April 21, 2016, 02:31:03 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 20, 2016, 09:19:38 PM

That's  fine, no problem

;D

Why the smiley face? It is a fact that rangers are the establishment club and Scotland is very much a protestant country (around 80%). A large percentage of the population of Scotland are rangers supporters and hate the Irish identity attached to Celtic. Celtic was set up as a club to help alleviate poverty and discrimination in the east end of Glasgow which was heavily populated by Irish immigrants. That Irish identity will always be a part of the club and a lot of people who write on here disparagingly probably have relatives who were helped by the charity of Celtic football club.
I'd rather have a smile than a poker up my backside trying to mount a high horse.  I'm quite aware of Celtic fc's ethos and all the determined efforts to attack the Irish ethnic identity.
It's a well known piece of history that Liam was quite the  innocent lamb in regards to Celtic fc in the context of Scottish society and the SFA. He even thought the Glasgow derby would be just like a  north London,  Arsenal v Tottenham (toothless) derby
But it didn't take long for him to experience another world. Therefore  I find the comment from an ex-innocent lamb, humorous.

Main Street

Quote from: ashman on April 21, 2016, 03:16:31 PM
Brady was an awful manager and despite his many talents was never cut for such a gig.

He bought players such as Cas , Stuart Slater and a crocked Gary Gillespie . 

His tactics were very naive and the players never found him great.

Also the Celtic board at that juncture were inept and broke and Celtic were in the shadow of resurgent Rangers.

Brady's line is a comical excuse .
Brady was not making an excuse, never mind a comical excuse for his efforts. He was making a socio/political comment about the reality that Celtic fc existed in and it was a very accurate comment.

As long as I can remember, Brady has acknowledged his shortcomings as Celtic manager as were evidenced on the pitch of play and in his poorer signings. Liam had zero  experience as a manager, he should not have been appointed manager of Celtic in the first place.

ashman

Brady was a Celtic for less than 2 years .  The club was a joke those years and certainly he did nothing to improve that situation . 

The auld MOPE thing is a smokescreen by LB and you are correct that he acknowledged his own shortcomings.

Celtic are a massively successful club with a massive fan base .  But the MOPE stuff is utterly embarrassing .   

T Fearon

All Celtic managers get the sack sooner or later.It even happened to Big Jock and Big Billy.

Main Street

And Big Billy's was probably the lowest of the low blows ever struck against a legend. Walter White was the instrument of destruction at Celtic over those dark years until McCann took over

Brady was the first Celtic manager to have a contract.
His lowest moment?    0-0 v Kilmarnock  at home,  when Celtic were booed off the pitch both at half and full time.
The ever honest Liam said post match
"We got pelters and we deserved pelters. That's the second league game on the trot that we've played really, really badly."

Hs highest moment? was it this one, V Cologne?  one of those classic comebacks.
http://celticunderground.net/his-greatest-game-john-collins-celtic-3-0-cologne-1992/

Club Rossa

Was at that Cologne game.They went into the 2nd leg 2-0 down.If my memory serves me correctly Cologne were at or near the bottom of the league at that time.

straightred

Quote from: Club Rossa on April 21, 2016, 09:41:15 PM
Was at that Cologne game.They went into the 2nd leg 2-0 down.If my memory serves me correctly Cologne were at or near the bottom of the league at that time.

I was at the away leg -lost 2-0. Funny thing was we knew they weren't great so the comeback wasn't that big of a shock (for me anyway)

Club Rossa

Yeah they weren't a good side.They had the German keeper Illner and Pierre Littbarski.Cant recall who else they had.

reddgnhand

reddgnhand

Quote from: Club Rossa on April 21, 2016, 09:41:15 PM

was at that game myself. Was on Jim Mervyns bus from Belfast. Great memories of that night stood in the jungle.