?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

stew

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 06, 2012, 10:59:26 PM
Its a good thing Rangers aren't still in the Scottish Premier League or Celtic would be well adrift at this stage. They have been terrible after every European game dropping an awful lot of points at home. They will probaly push on now hopefully in the league and gain some form, they will be too strong come the end of the season but the league form has been very shacky.

Samaras is a real unsung here, cult figure.

Rangers would be relegated from the SPL at this stage, of course Celtic are going to struggle somewhat given the taxing CL campaign.

Celtic will forge ahead and win the league going away, right now their main focus is the CL and it should be.

Jeez, they just qualified for the next stage of the CL, that is a monumental achievement given the teams they played against and the level of football, i dont want to hear anymore about how they would get relegated from the PL, they would be a mid table team at worst in the PL.

BTW, well done the bhoys, a fantastic campaign so far.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

rodney trotter

Yes, but you don't expect them to lose at home to a mid table team, regardless of the European run. I'm just saying in Hindsight,

Great achievment no doubt, Lennon has really proven his critics wrong, written off at one stage last season. Hopefully he can spend wise next summer, great manager for getting bargain signings. Wanayama is thought to be worth 20million, if Utd were to pay that figure. Be great to keep him, 20 million guranteed now for getting to the last 16.

Brillant that Celtic are back gettiing big results in the CL being out of it for far too long!..

T Fearon

I suspect if Rangers were in the SPL and being competitive, Celtic would not have dropped nearly as many points so far. At the end of the day you do what you have to do, and there's little motivation coming out against St Johnstone 4 days after beating Barcelona, to a stadium that's half empty, and really going pelters when you know that you'll win the league in a canter anyway in the latter half of the season.

Itchy

Quote from: T Fearon on December 06, 2012, 04:20:18 PM
Doubt if the likes of Forster, Wanyama, Forrest and Hooper will be at Celtic Park next season.When the big money comes sniffing Celtic can't resist (Lennon practically flew Mc Geady himself to Moscow when £10m was put on the table).

Also Lennon must be coming under the radar of English clubs and perhaps even a few European ones now as well

I don't watch Celtic or Scottish football as much as I used to but I've watched all their champions league games. I think Forster is better than 95% of keepers in the Premier League and he will almost certainly get a move to a big English club. Wanyama is a raw talent and has huge potential and is almost certainly on the radar of some bigger european clubs. Those two will certainly get offers and its hard to see how Celtic can convince them to stay. Hooper and Forrest don't think anyone bigger than Celtic will come looking. In fact I think the other players that are standing out in the champions league are Samaras and Ambrose and they may also get offers for bigger money. A lot depends on whether Celtic can cash in on this advancement and increase the terms they are willing to offer their players.

trileacman

Quote from: Itchy on December 07, 2012, 05:33:26 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 06, 2012, 04:20:18 PM
Doubt if the likes of Forster, Wanyama, Forrest and Hooper will be at Celtic Park next season.When the big money comes sniffing Celtic can't resist (Lennon practically flew Mc Geady himself to Moscow when £10m was put on the table).

Also Lennon must be coming under the radar of English clubs and perhaps even a few European ones now as well

I don't watch Celtic or Scottish football as much as I used to but I've watched all their champions league games. I think Forster is better than 95% of keepers in the Premier League and he will almost certainly get a move to a big English club. Wanyama is a raw talent and has huge potential and is almost certainly on the radar of some bigger european clubs. Those two will certainly get offers and its hard to see how Celtic can convince them to stay. Hooper and Forrest don't think anyone bigger than Celtic will come looking. In fact I think the other players that are standing out in the champions league are Samaras and Ambrose and they may also get offers for bigger money. A lot depends on whether Celtic can cash in on this advancement and increase the terms they are willing to offer their players.

Samaras was a failure at a relegation threatened ManCity. I[m not saying he's a bad player but his form then will put off alot of PL suitors and I'd say there is sparse interest abroad.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tyrone exile

Although Celtic may cash in on some of the big names, they are in a good position to negotiate as most of them still have several years left on their contracts. Forster only signed permanently during the summer on a 4 year deal and wanyama is under contract until 2014. Celtic will not be under any pressure to sell for smaller sums, and the cash rewards from their champions league campaign leaves them in a fairly sound financial position. Their transfer policy over the last number of years has to commended, scouting lower leagues and smaller countries, unearthing potentially quality players and helping them realise their potential. I for one would not be crying out for any big money signings in January, certainly strengthen the squad, but that can be done carefully.
I've heard reports that Miku loan deal could be short in January, i don't think the deal has worked out for either party and would be happy enough to see this happen.
Finally, i was over at Parkhead on wednesday and the atmosphere was unreal, was right beside the away fans who were also fantastic, especially since they had nothing to play for! hopefully we can concentrate on domestic football for a month or two, get that fairly wrapped up and be ready for the next round! want to avoid all the German teams, would love to get United or malaga!

Main Street

The EPL club would be first choice, probably the weakest of all the group winners and the feeling would be mutual, i.e. they would be delighted to get Celtic, considering the quality in the runners up pot.
3 Bundeliga teams in the group winners pot  and 4 La Liga teams in the last 16,  but we all know the real truth - the EPL is the best league in the world.

PSG,  Schalke, Malaga, Borussia Dortmund,  Juventus,  Bayern Munich,Barcelona, Manchester United.

Porto, Arsenal, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Valencia,  Celtic, Galatasaray.

Itchy

Agree main street. Man utd or malaga best draw. Need to avoid Germans.

rodney trotter

German football is way ahead of the EPL, Pity them idiots  (pundits)wound't take thier head out of the sand and realise that.

Support Utd aswell but they are in decline a while in Europe.

Captain Obvious

Borussia Dortmund finished bottom of Arsenal's Champions league group last year in fairness they have improved since. Bayern Munich with home advantage couldn't beat a Chelsea side that finshed 6th in the Premier league. Celtic should have nothing to fear from Schalke if they are drawn against them.

Main Street

Shalke have a very good team.
Last year Dortmund  did a belly flop in the CL when they were fancied by some to be the business, this year they are on song.

trileacman

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 07, 2012, 08:35:25 PM
Borussia Dortmund finished bottom of Arsenal's Champions league group last year in fairness they have improved since. Bayern Munich with home advantage couldn't beat a Chelsea side that finshed 6th in the Premier league. Celtic should have nothing to fear from Schalke if they are drawn against them.

Man City are the best team in the PL and for two successive seasons have flopped in the CL. You can use league standings anyway you want but the Germans are definitely at a superior standard to the PL.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

rodney trotter

Drawn against Juve. Think that's the end of the European run for Celtic sadly..
Juve have been very impressive this season and Top of Seria A.

ardal