?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on November 08, 2012, 05:14:15 PM
Latest stats have the possession at 9%. Expected to drop further.

The BBC match stats say 34% possession for Celtic.
I wouldn't give much credence to the other stats.

ardal

Quote from: Main Street on November 08, 2012, 05:36:00 PM

Papers here say is was a little less than 10% for Celtic; 9.97%, and they're stats mad.

charlieTully

Quote from: ardal on November 08, 2012, 05:38:30 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 08, 2012, 05:36:00 PM

Papers here say is was a little less than 10% for Celtic; 9.97%, and they're stats mad.

here is a stat celtic 2 barcelona 1

stibhan

If anyone actually had an inkling about Lennon's tactical plan, then looking at the possession tells you how well he called it. He instructed his players to concede the flanks and then allowed Barcelona to pump aimless crosses into our box. This meant that Celtic were under constant pressure but they were well prepped for it - the dress rehearsal in the Nou Camp was similar.

We got lucky with the second goal, and on another night it would have been 1-4 easily but Barcelona had the whole two weeks to figure out Lennon's tactics and still weren't able to master them to the point where they could guarantee victory. I don't think it'll ever work again but that was absolutely amazing last night.

charlieTully

Quote from: stibhan on November 08, 2012, 05:50:58 PM
If anyone actually had an inkling about Lennon's tactical plan, then looking at the possession tells you how well he called it. He instructed his players to concede the flanks and then allowed Barcelona to pump aimless crosses into our box. This meant that Celtic were under constant pressure but they were well prepped for it - the dress rehearsal in the Nou Camp was similar.

We got lucky with the second goal, and on another night it would have been 1-4 easily but Barcelona had the whole two weeks to figure out Lennon's tactics and still weren't able to master them to the point where they could guarantee victory. I don't think it'll ever work again but that was absolutely amazing last night.

they were extremely disciplined in their defending, didn't give any free kicks away in a scorable position that i can remember.

Orchardman

Quote from: EC Unique on November 08, 2012, 04:56:02 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 08, 2012, 04:46:22 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 08, 2012, 09:29:34 AM
In work this morning, it seems that the only ones not happy for Celtic are the Liverpool supporters. Everyone else (including 'the other side') are delighted for them.

"Celtic fans think they're the best in the world now"
"We'll see who goes further, Celtic or Barcelona"

What do Liverpool fans have against Celtic?

I'm not sure Liverpool fans have anything against Celtic.
I personally don't care about them but I don't hate them or anything.To me they are just another British club the same as Arsenal,Chelsea or Spurs etc etc.
I watched the game and hoped Celtic would hold on and win because they were the underdog rather than because it was Celtic.
I'd be the same if it was Chelsea or Arsenal I'd have been hoping they would hold on but if they had of been beaten 5-0 I couldn't have cared less.

Maybe Liverpool fans are more use to actual big nights like Champions League semi finals and Finals and are wondering what all the fuss is about over a group game. ;)

LOL. I would say most Liverpool fans would give their right arm to be involved in CL group games at this stage.

Got that right, liverpool are a bit of a joke of a club the last 20 years, and have done nothing in champions league in the last 5 years. Celtic are heading for their 3rd last 16 place in the last 5-6 years, only barca and milan knocked them out.

Ive nothing against man u or liverpool or any of them really, just dont like the EPL, and realise that it's way overblown. But i cudn't believe the amount of lads that wanted to dampen the celtic win last. They should just clear off and enjoy the silly EPL

Someone said arsenal, chelsea, liverpool and man u have all beaten Barca in recent years. Well when did this happen, as it must be after 2008 when the guardiola era started, which is what counts, when Barca won two champions leagues. Chelsea are the only i can remember, and they were seriously jammy.

Celtic were of course very lucky night, but they havn't spent the millions that chelsea and co have, so it's no harm to put everyone behind the ball

Main Street

There's another thing both clubs have got in common especially at these European games,  men are known to cry once the game is over.

T Fearon

What a night in Paradise last night.Atmosphere and an experience that will never be bettered

From the Bunker

Quote from: Orchardman on November 08, 2012, 06:48:16 PM

Got that right, liverpool are a bit of a joke of a club the last 20 years, and have done nothing in champions league in the last 5 years. Celtic are heading for their 3rd last 16 place in the last 5-6 years, only barca and milan knocked them out.

Ive nothing against man u or liverpool or any of them really, just dont like the EPL, and realise that it's way overblown. But i cudn't believe the amount of lads that wanted to dampen the celtic win last. They should just clear off and enjoy the silly EPL

Someone said arsenal, chelsea, liverpool and man u have all beaten Barca in recent years. Well when did this happen, as it must be after 2008 when the guardiola era started, which is what counts, when Barca won two champions leagues. Chelsea are the only i can remember, and they were seriously jammy.

Celtic were of course very lucky night, but they havn't spent the millions that chelsea and co have, so it's no harm to put everyone behind the ball

Agree with alot you say, but money talks and the EPL has buckets of it. Even last night there was talk of Celtic Players being watched by EPL clubs and how they should feel priveledged.

Sheer will from the Fans and players got Celtic over the line last night. European games are bigger for Celtic than they are EPL Clubs. In Europe Celtic are playing their equals or better, in their own league they are playing (truthfully minus Rangers) inferior opposition. EPL Clubs are looking down their noses at the opposition in Europe unless they are Italian, Spanish or Bayern. Hopefully Celtic can reap the rewards and qualify for the knock out stages and get a bit more dosh and exposure.

dillinger

Hope that dropped point away to Barca won't put them out.
Deserve to go through after that win.

Orchardman

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 08, 2012, 08:09:04 PM
Quote from: Orchardman on November 08, 2012, 06:48:16 PM

Agree with alot you say, but money talks and the EPL has buckets of it. Even last night there was talk of Celtic Players being watched by EPL clubs and how they should feel priveledged.

Sheer will from the Fans and players got Celtic over the line last night. European games are bigger for Celtic than they are EPL Clubs. In Europe Celtic are playing their equals or better, in their own league they are playing (truthfully minus Rangers) inferior opposition. EPL Clubs are looking down their noses at the opposition in Europe unless they are Italian, Spanish or Bayern. Hopefully Celtic can reap the rewards and qualify for the knock out stages and get a bit more dosh and exposure.

Well that's it. I cant' defend the SPL because it is a poorer league without doubt.

But what Dunphy ( love the man, no matter what people say about him!) said last ngt was true. Celtic are used to constantly having maybe 70% possession in their own league and scoring for fun, even though their only joint top this year. So for them to put in 2 performances like that is astonishing, with a defensive plan carried out to perfection.

It also backs up my belief about the saying ' the better team always wins'. It is nonsense, i was disgusted when chelsea beat barca in the semi last year after being swamped over 2 legs. Celtic did the same, but we did it with much less resources. I make this point as i wouldn't wanna be a hypocrite, they was quite a bit of anger on this board last year after the chelsea win!

Fair play to  lenny, was delighted when you got the job and now really proved his worth.

Orchardman

Quote from: dillinger on November 08, 2012, 08:25:12 PM
Hope that dropped point away to Barca won't put them out.
Deserve to go through after that win.

I reckon a point away to benfica in the next game wud ensure 2nd place, that right?

By the way, i was thinking celtic's record against barca in recent years must be as good as most teams. 2004 was the start of the recent rivalry i suppose, not sure if they ever played before that. I was there that night that thompson scored the winner in the uefa cup. There was a run of games of 21 games away in europe where celtic's only point was actually away in the new camp!

Anyone care to fill in the gaps?

2004- 1-0 celtic at home, 0-0 away (Uefa cup)
2004/5  1-3 at parkhead when larsson returned, was it 1-1 in barca?

2008- Barcelona won 4-2 on aggregate

2012 -Barca 2-1, Celtic 2-1

Good record!

charlieTully

3-2 at parkhead in 2008 i think. theirry henry got the winner. the c..t

Gazzler

Liverpool 5 European finals and World club final winning 4 of them plus a few more European semi finals since 2001....Not bad for a team who are a bit of a joke!!

charlieTully

Quote from: Gazzler on November 08, 2012, 09:20:21 PM
Liverpool 5 European finals and World club final winning 4 of them plus a few more European semi finals since 2001....Not bad for a team who are a bit of a joke!!

no doubting their European pedigree. bit of a disaster domestically since the premier league started.