Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Armaghgeddon

Srdjan Lakic, could this be the mysterious signing?

thebigfella

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 31, 2012, 10:54:45 PM
most clubs in Europe would be happy with a point from a double header with barca before a ball is kicked

1 point from 4 games. There will fcuk all from Barca and away to Spartak.

dillinger

Do you think with Rangers out of the SPL it will effect the number of Celtic fans travelling over to see them? The League is won already without them so will the support drop?

Main Street

Who knows how the attendances will pan out over a season in a league without Rangers, average attendances at Celtic Park have dropped in the last few years from 60k to 50k.

No doubt, much of Celtic's future depends on building the foundation of a club that qualifies for the group stages of the CL/EL.
The Europa League is not such a big deal for EPL clubs, partly because their league is a bigger money spinner and partly because they would have to play the best team from their squads to have a chance to get through to the serious end of that competition.

Armaghgeddon

Oraisteach

Having a discussion with someone over her, and I'd appreciate your opinions.  In Catholic Belfast, which team would be more heavily supported, Cliftonville or Celtic (Glasgow, not Donegal)?  Can anyone tell me how many fans attend a typical Cliftonville home game and how many make the trip over to Glasgow to watch Celtic?  Thanks for any help.

Also, on a non-soccer note, what areas in Belfast best epitomize the Catholic-Protestant divide--The Falls and the Shankill or Ballymurphy and Shankill?  Sorry for introducing politics into a soccer thread, but I'm just trying to gather opinion for somerone writing a play over here (in the US).  Thanks again.

Armaghgeddon

Would be 98% sure it's cliftonville, much bigger and older.

Tha Falls is catholic, shankhill protestant

SambaSaffron

dillinger

Quote from: hardstation on September 01, 2012, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: SambaSaffron on September 01, 2012, 05:32:03 PM
I'd be pretty sure it's Celtic.
You can bet your balls it is.

Cliftonville get a couple of hundred. Celtic fill a boat.

Has to be Celtic. I was on the Stena two weeks ago and there was about 500 Celtic fans on it.
( and four Gretna fans)

T Fearon

Those who support Cliftonvile would also support Celtic and vice versa,so it boils down to numbers who actually attend games in both cases.The 500 Celtic fans on the boat would be drawn from all parts of the 6 counties and Donegal,not just Belfast.In common with most Irish League teams,Cliftonville's average home gate would,I'd say,be around the 400-500 mark.They would be one of the better supported clubs,and gates would increase if they were in contention for honours etc.Cliftonville V Linfield would be the equivalent of the lost and lamented Celtic V Rangers derby

With the comparatively recent emergence of Donegal Celtic in the West of the city,ironically games between them and Cliftonville have had added bite (they rarely finish with the full quota of players).Its almost a showdown as to who best represents the catholic/ nationalist fraternity.Donegal Celtic have not yet built any substantial support base.I suppose people in that area would be Cliftonvile supporters,simply because they have been in existence so much longer,and will not switch allegiances.

T Fearon

As to the epitomisation of the divide,it's probably West Belfast (just take out the Shankhill Road part) versus  practically all of East Belfast,pockets of N Belfast (Tigers Bay and Mount Vernon),and Sandy Row in the City Centre.N Belfast is evenly divided,with a patchwork of both unionist/loyalist areas (eg Ardoyne,Antrim Road,versus Tigers Bay,Mount Vernon etc).

ONeill

Quote from: T Fearon on September 02, 2012, 09:05:17 AM
Those who support Cliftonvile would also support Celtic and vice versa

That's bollocks. I know Celtic supporters who detest Cliftonville and their fans.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

I was speaking generally of course.Recently a significant number of Cliftonville fans paid 20 quid to watch Celtic's youth team perform at Solitude,Frank MC Avennie played a few games for Cliftonville in the 90s and got an ecstatic reception every time he appeared.I would contend that it would be eminently safe to assume that the average Cliftonville fan is a Celtic fan and vice versa.I even went to see Cliftonville myself in the 2009 IFA Cup Final.

Over the Bar

all depends what you class as 'fans'.  most of belfast support celtic or rangers simply because it involves sitting on their fat holes drinking cans and watching them on tv. 

Jonah

Quote from: hardstation on September 03, 2012, 08:01:39 AM
Quote from: Over the Bar on September 02, 2012, 11:57:37 PM
all depends what you class as 'fans'.  most of belfast support celtic or rangers simply because it involves sitting on their fat holes drinking cans and watching them on tv.
Same for Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal fans everywhere in Ireland.

All of them?