?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2012, 11:52:50 PM
Yeah, it's something like that, but why don't they just wear the traditional hooped jersey instead of the hooped front - blank rear shirt?
I see Lennon is donning neat tricoloured stripes  on the collar of his attire.

An explanation (no reference) on the Historical Football Kits website:

QuoteCeltic's tradition of wearing numbers on their shorts rather than on the back of their shirts was brought to an end after an incident in which the wrong player was booked by a referee who claimed he was confused by the lack of shirt numbers (and evidently had not noticed the crucial items were plainly visible on the shorts). The Scottish Football League ruled instructed Celtic to wear numbers on their shirts from the start of the 1994-95 season. Celtic responded by adding numbers to the top of their sleeves, a decision that did not amuse the gentlemen at the SFL who directed the club to attach them to the back of their shirts, where they appeared on a large white patch, breaking up the sacred hoops.

Main Street

Quote from: Jonah on August 22, 2012, 12:04:33 PM
Celtic will be cannon fodder for the bigger clubs in the group stages.
Bigger clubs? there are not that many bigger clubs than Celtic in the CL but there are many better teams in the CL and there are also many heavily indebted teams.
Much has changed since the last time Celtic met an EPL team in the CL group stages. These days they are just about one of the better teams of the 4th seeds.
A 3rd place finish in the group would be an excellent achievement presuming they get past the 2nd leg of the play off.

deiseach

One thing is definitely from Celtic's previous efforts in the CL. They can win away games!

Main Street

Quote from: deiseach on August 22, 2012, 12:47:31 PM
Yeah, it's something like that, but why don't they just wear the traditional hooped jersey instead of the hooped front - blank rear shirt?

An explanation (no reference) on the Historical Football Kits website:

QuoteCeltic's tradition of wearing numbers on their shorts rather than on the back of their shirts was brought to an end after an incident in which the wrong player was booked by a referee who claimed he was confused by the lack of shirt numbers (and evidently had not noticed the crucial items were plainly visible on the shorts). The Scottish Football League ruled instructed Celtic to wear numbers on their shirts from the start of the 1994-95 season. Celtic responded by adding numbers to the top of their sleeves, a decision that did not amuse the gentlemen at the SFL who directed the club to attach them to the back of their shirts, where they appeared on a large white patch, breaking up the sacred hoops.

This is similar to the jersey used by Celtic in the SPL, so that story doesn't hold that much water.

Probably  has nothing to do with advertising, maybe there's some Euro directive re numbers displayed on teams playing with hooped shirts in the european competitions.

Jonah

Thought it was tacky looking to be honest.

Quote from: clarshack on August 22, 2012, 12:28:24 PM
Quote from: Jonah on August 22, 2012, 12:04:33 PM
Celtic will be cannon fodder for the bigger clubs in the group stages.

a lot depends on the draw. i.e a group containing porto/milan, schalke & olympiakos wouldnt be too bad, but if celtic were in a group of barcelona/madrid, man city & juventus then yes it would be very difficult.

don't forget celtic have a great record at home and will be no pushover for anyone at celtic park.

True it depends on the draw but I think all the bigger clubs will be hoping to draw Celtic.
Their home record is good in fairness and might get them a result against some of the bigger clubs.

Muzz

Quote from: NAG1 on August 22, 2012, 12:01:01 PM

I would imagine that is also for TV as the numbers and names are easier to make out!

The reason isnt just for TV.  It was a UEFA ruling that the numbers had to be on a plain background when playing in Europe.  Domestically no difference.  Any team playing in Europe will have to have a plain background with the number.

Main Street

Quote from: Jonah on August 22, 2012, 01:19:49 PM

No need to let us know when you are being honest, honesty of opinion is assumed, however silly.

QuoteTrue it depends on the draw but I think all the bigger clubs will be hoping to draw Celtic.
Their home record is good in fairness and might get them a result against some of the bigger clubs.
As one of the better clubs in the 4th seed of the draw, I'd imagine the top clubs would want to avoid drawing Celtic (should they qualify), regardless of the better team's  confidence levels of getting a result at Celtic Pk.

Jonah

Quote from: Main Street on August 22, 2012, 03:24:00 PM

No need to let us know when you are being honest, honesty of opinion is assumed, however silly.

To be honest I didn't know that,thanks for telling me.

As one of the better clubs in the 4th seed of the draw, I'd imagine the top clubs would want to avoid drawing Celtic (should they qualify), regardless of the better team's  confidence levels of getting a result at Celtic Pk.

I disagree I think the bigger clubs will be wanting to draw Celtic to be honest.

trileacman

Quote from: Jonah on August 22, 2012, 04:16:26 PM

I disagree I think the bigger clubs will be wanting to draw Celtic to be honest.

Lennon's shirt was tacky, looked like a kid at a St Patrick parade.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Some good action this evening from around the the other half of the play offs. It looks like PSG and Galatasaray will move up to pot 3 in the CL draw and if Limassol hold onto their advantage against Anderlecht then Celtic will pick up the last spot in pot 3, but I'd say there's less than a 50/50 chance of that happening.

laoislad

Quote from: trileacman on August 22, 2012, 05:27:24 PM
Quote from: Jonah on August 22, 2012, 04:16:26 PM

Lennon's shirt was tacky, looked like a kid at a St Patrick parade.

I thought the same.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

I agree as well that it was tacky. But it seems to be what he wears to all matches this season.

Would Lennon have control over the design of training gear?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tyrone exile

the same trim is on the away celtic jersey, its to show the irish roots of the club in its 125th anniversary year

maldini

Its the Celtic training top for this season, i dont think Lennon designed it himself, probably feels obliged to wear it as manager of the club

NAG1

Personal preference is to see a manager wearing a suit, but maybe that's just me.