?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

deiseach

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2012, 02:25:22 PM
For me there should be more reason for an Irish person to support GAA over soccer, was never more pissed off when I parked my car near the PD club on the Anderstown road to head to the Antrim V Laois game, the club was filled with Celtic men watching the Rangers game. That's fine but a right few of them I nodded to where Gaels of clubs on the road,  and they would rather be watching a 'foreign' sport when their own team, Antrim were playing 100 yards away at Casement!!!

Of course Casement was empty and Belfast seems to be going more and more down the route of kids opting for soccer over hurling/football. Very worrying.

It's not an either/or proposition. And in fairness, the lads you saw probably wouldn't go to a soccer match in Belfast either

Milltown Row2

Quote from: deiseach on April 18, 2012, 02:44:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2012, 02:25:22 PM
For me there should be more reason for an Irish person to support GAA over soccer, was never more pissed off when I parked my car near the PD club on the Anderstown road to head to the Antrim V Laois game, the club was filled with Celtic men watching the Rangers game. That's fine but a right few of them I nodded to where Gaels of clubs on the road,  and they would rather be watching a 'foreign' sport when their own team, Antrim were playing 100 yards away at Casement!!!

Of course Casement was empty and Belfast seems to be going more and more down the route of kids opting for soccer over hurling/football. Very worrying.

It's not an either/or proposition. And in fairness, the lads you saw probably wouldn't go to a soccer match in Belfast either

They'd be out in full colour if DC are playing the Glens or Linfield at Suffolk road. Maybe not so much Cliftonville or Portadown
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

deiseach

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 18, 2012, 02:48:19 PM
They'd be out in full colour if DC are playing the Glens or Linfield at Suffolk road. Maybe not so much Cliftonville or Portadown

Looking at the crowds at NI soccer on Saturday's Final Score, I doubt that ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on April 18, 2012, 03:20:31 PM
It wasn't £11 into the PD either.

True, thats about 4 pints in the PD
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Main Street on April 16, 2012, 10:27:46 PM
Celtic had the title won on merit, there's no sane argument against that and they're playing the best football in the SPL.
The 2 cups have been thrown away.

I agree with you that Celtic won the title on merit and I don't see how anybody could deny that.  However the SPL is always a straight battle between Celtic and Rangers. When one of them goes into administration (losing 10 points and seeing their form totally deteriorate post admin) then the other simply has to win the title. Not winning the league in such circumstances would be an incredible failure. I regard it as rather meaningless, winning a 1 horse race is hardly worth crowing about. And yes, I do think Rangers titles won by financial cheating were tainted, no question.

Celtic had the league handed to them on a plate and should have won the treble. They didn't even have to beat Rangers to win either cup and yet they still couldn't manage it. It's not been a good season for Celtic and the antics of Lennon have done the club no favours either. Don't just take my word for it, I have heard and read many Celtic supporters saying the guys behaviour is an embarrasment. I didn't see the Wenger incident you mentioned earlier but it wouldn't be the first time he has behaved poorly. Then again I don't recall Wenger marching onto parks to shout abuse at refs or use a website to re tweet an opinion that the officials are "crooked" against his club and that they should move to another league. Not that a lot of us Scotland would be against such a move.

Lennon could learn a lot from somebody like Mickey Harte, a man who always handles himself in a dignified manner post match.

charlieTully

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on April 18, 2012, 08:22:15 PM
Celtic had the title won on merit, there's no sane argument against that and they're playing the best football in the SPL.

I agree with you that Celtic won the title on merit and I don't see how anybody could deny that.  However the SPL is always a straight battle between Celtic and Rangers. When one of them goes into administration (losing 10 points and seeing their form totally deteriorate post admin) then the other simply has to win the title. Not winning the league in such circumstances would be an incredible failure. I regard it as rather meaningless, winning a 1 horse race is hardly worth crowing about. And yes, I do think Rangers titles won by financial cheating were tainted, no question.

Celtic had the league handed to them on a plate and should have won the treble. They didn't even have to beat Rangers to win either cup and yet they still couldn't manage it. It's not been a good season for Celtic and the antics of Lennon have done the club no favours either. Don't just take my word for it, I have heard and read many Celtic supporters saying the guys behaviour is an embarrasment. I didn't see the Wenger incident you mentioned earlier but it wouldn't be the first time he has behaved poorly. Then again I don't recall Wenger marching onto parks to shout abuse at refs or use a website to re tweet an opinion that the officials are "crooked" against his club and that they should move to another league. Not that a lot of us Scotland would be against such a move.

Lennon could learn a lot from somebody like Mickey Harte, a man who always handles himself in a dignified manner post match.

you could not wait to get on here and stick the boot in, no point acting all dignified about it now. also micky harte is a true gentleman no doubt about it but he did some serious yapping in his Irish News column a year or two back when none off the provinical winners were in the AI semis. He is not immune to a yap, just uses the Irish news as opposed to twitter.

tonto1888

lennon is not the first, nor will he be the last manager in scotland to act in such a way. Pressley done it last year and walter smith has previous for it also. The reason the press are so up in arms about it is because he is who he is. Simple. As for celtic fans saying he is an embarrassment. Myself and many others support him to the hilt. I dont see you talking about people with that opinion

clarshack

very convincing win yesterday. celtic were up for it and i thought kris commons goal was sublime.

if the players had the same desire from yesterday for the 2 cup games at hampden then the treble really would have been on the cards!

also, this was well done:

Main Street

Quote from: charlieTully on April 18, 2012, 10:01:41 PM

you could not wait to get on here and stick the boot in, no point acting all dignified about it now. also micky harte is a true gentleman no doubt about it but he did some serious yapping in his Irish News column a year or two back when none off the provinical winners were in the AI semis. He is not immune to a yap, just uses the Irish news as opposed to twitter.
Obviously LDA has Arsene's blinkers of convenience  ;D
never took note of his behaviour on the sideline,  never listened to a post match whine against officialdom, never noted just how many times Arsene has been fined/suspended for his 'dastardly' behaviour towards officialdom. Behaviour which includes just about every action, including running onto the pitch in a demented rage and 'manhandling officials'.
A (yet another ::)) statement on the FA website reads: 'Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has admitted a charge of using insulting and/or abusive language and behaviour amounting to improper conduct.'[/i]

Personally, I'd regard Wenger as one of the most respected coaches in the game. Not that I care one way or another about his persistent whiney behaviour, I was just interested in how LDA would respond and he truly came out blazing, showing off his blinkered biased colours.

Not a bad end to the season for Celtic fans -  he who laughs last and all that.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 07, 2010, 11:51:55 AM
P.S. If you knew anything about my links with the F&W, you'd also know that as a former Lisnarick Utd man, I wouldn't p1ss on an NFC Kesh boy like Lafferty...

Finally worked that comment out today.

Thanks for that.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

rossie mad

is the helsinki game on telly tonight

clarshack

good 2-0 win last night in helsinki.

another 8 european games guaranteed this season - beats playing in the harry ramsdens cup  ;D

Main Street

It was impressive by Celtic, they dominated the first half, just about withstood a bit of pressure from HJK early n the second half and managed to score a goal crucially just before getting a player sent off.
Now they are into league winners play-off section as a seeded team in the draw and should be favorites to get through to the CL group stage.

illdecide

The Hoops have five potential opponents standing in their way of making the group stages of Europe's premier competition - Helsingborgs (Sweden), Maribor (Slovenia), CFR Cluj (Romania), AEL Limassol (Cyprus) and Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona (Israel).

Don't want to count my chickens but i'd be happy with any team from the above...i'd say prob Limassol or the Israel team would prob be the weaker
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Forever Green

I would prefer Helsingnorg myself. Short trip which is important, Israel and Cyprus would be hard places to egt a result. Limassol are supposed to be a decent side as well, they put out the mighty Linfield :)

Very impressive performance from the bhoys last night. It was a proper European away showing and Lenny got the tactics absolutely spot on. Brown was f**king immense, as was Ledley and Matthews who is developing into a top class full back. What else can be said Charlie Mugrew? Took the game by the grip and drove us forward for that 1st goal. Charlei has the potential to be a Celtic legend. He is fast on his way

I still can`t decide what our best team is though. I think there will have to be a lot of rotation between Kayal, Ledley and Brown for this season unless Wanyama is sold this summer which looks possible. Ki is a must sell imo, he is going to be 5th choice midfielder when he returns from the olympics. There are clubs willing to pay close to 10m for him so we might as well cash in on him and bring in a couple of players in defence and attack. Johnny Russell and Gary Mackay-Steven are two names being heavily linked and with Dundee United going out of Europe tonight, they might have to sell. Anyway, this would be my first choice team:

-----------------------Forster-------------------
Matthews------Rogne------Mulgrew------Izzy
----------Kayal----Wanyama----Ledley-------
--------------------Commons-----------------
---------------Stokes-------Hooper-----------

Brown, Forrest, Sammy all potential starters as well