62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: SambaSaffron on February 14, 2012, 02:42:58 PM
Quote from: LondonCamanachd on February 14, 2012, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 14, 2012, 12:29:24 PM
You could be right because now I see the figure of £3m was from 2007/8 when there was £18m tv to distribute. Celtic as winners got £3m and Rangers as runners up got £2.7.

That right there is the problem with Scottish Football.

Why is the gap between 2nd and 3rd so much bigger than the gap between 1st and 2nd when it comes to prize money?  Why is 30% of the prize money in a 12 team league divided between only two teams?
Thats the way it is in all leagues. Do you want the bottom teams to receive the same as the top? Cath yourself on.

Nope.  But this looks a little odd in terms of progression, no?

1 - 4% + 13% = 17%
2 - 4% + 11% = 15%
3 - 4% + 5.5% = 9.5%
4 - 4% + 4.5% = 8.5%
5 - 4% + 4.0% = 8.0%
6 - 4% + 3.5% = 7.5%
7 - 4% + 3.0% = 7.0%
8 - 4% + 2.5% = 6.5%
9 - 4% + 2.0% = 6.0%
10 - 4% + 1.5% = 5.5%
11 - 4% + 1.0% = 5.0%
12 - 4% + 0.5% = 4.5%

1st place to 2nd place 15% differance
2nd place to 3rd place 50% difference
3rd to 4th 20% differance
4th to 5th 12% differance

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on February 14, 2012, 02:48:12 PM
Quote from: SambaSaffron on February 14, 2012, 02:42:58 PM
Quote from: LondonCamanachd on February 14, 2012, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 14, 2012, 12:29:24 PM
You could be right because now I see the figure of £3m was from 2007/8 when there was £18m tv to distribute. Celtic as winners got £3m and Rangers as runners up got £2.7.

That right there is the problem with Scottish Football.

Why is the gap between 2nd and 3rd so much bigger than the gap between 1st and 2nd when it comes to prize money?  Why is 30% of the prize money in a 12 team league divided between only two teams?
Thats the way it is in all leagues. Do you want the bottom teams to receive the same as the top? Cath yourself on.

Nope.  But this looks a little odd in terms of progression, no?

1 - 4% + 13% = 17%
2 - 4% + 11% = 15%
3 - 4% + 5.5% = 9.5%
4 - 4% + 4.5% = 8.5%
5 - 4% + 4.0% = 8.0%
6 - 4% + 3.5% = 7.5%
7 - 4% + 3.0% = 7.0%
8 - 4% + 2.5% = 6.5%
9 - 4% + 2.0% = 6.0%
10 - 4% + 1.5% = 5.5%
11 - 4% + 1.0% = 5.0%
12 - 4% + 0.5% = 4.5%

1st place to 2nd place 15% differance
2nd place to 3rd place 50% difference
3rd to 4th 20% differance
4th to 5th 12% differance

Yes it is odd. In the premier league last year, each team got £756,000 per finishing place.

Doogie Browser

Rangers being banned from Europe next season will not help the SPL co-efficient either I would say.

Main Street

Would there be that much difference if the EPL model was used, where 25% of the total tv revenue is distributed to the clubs, according to the number of tv appearances?

Muzz

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 14, 2012, 03:22:06 PM
Rangers being banned from Europe next season will not help the SPL co-efficient either I would say.

Not banned yet but have to prove finances in order by 31st March.  Your right though it won't help the co-efficient which could mean that Scotland loses automatic CL place to a qualifying round or worse and go straight to Europa League.

This mess for Rangers may not be good for Celtic long term unless there is a move South of the border involved. 

Leo

Quote from: Canalman on February 14, 2012, 12:38:03 PM
Almost sure I can remember that Celtic nearly "went to the wall" some years ago but were "saved" at the 11th hour.

Correct..
The club was saved by Fergus McCannn who endured venomous hate campaign from Celtic fans at the time!!
Fierce tame altogether

Main Street

Quote from: Muzz on February 14, 2012, 09:30:57 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 14, 2012, 03:22:06 PM

Not banned yet but have to prove finances in order by 31st March.  Your right though it won't help the co-efficient which could mean that Scotland loses automatic CL place to a qualifying round or worse and go straight to Europa League.
The SPL champions have already lost their automatic CL place.
Most every league champion has the right to the enter the CL qualification stages. There's no going straight to the Europa league for the champs.

bennydorano

Not really true, the venom came when it became clear he wasn't going to act the sugar daddy & fire money at transfers - he was a hard  nosed businessman first & foremost.

Quote from: Leo on February 14, 2012, 10:47:31 PM
Quote from: Canalman on February 14, 2012, 12:38:03 PM
Almost sure I can remember that Celtic nearly "went to the wall" some years ago but were "saved" at the 11th hour.

Correct..
The club was saved by Fergus McCannn who endured venomous hate campaign from Celtic fans at the time!!

under the bar

QuoteAlmost sure I can remember that Celtic nearly "went to the wall" some years ago but were "saved" at the 11th hour.

Correct..

A campaign from a minority of fans who expected him to match Rangers massive and obviously reckless spending.  McCann responded by saying he was ensuring the club's long-term prosperity and stability by steadily increasing turnover coupled with spending within their means.  Whilst moderate spending doesnt usually win over football fans, the vast majority of real Celtic fans, most of whom recalled the bleak times before McCann welcomed his astute stewardship and financial probity.

Main Street

Sure, certain fans who wanted a sugar daddy to throw money (that wasn't available) at transfers, were deeply unhappy.

The structure that was set in place by McCann has stood the test of time. He made a tidy fortune on his investment. He did what he said he would do.
Without McCann there would certainly have been no £20m kitty for the  Martin O'Neill glory years.

Sportacus

Plenty more clubs will face the same fate.  Fair play to the Celtic board if they've been prudent.  Sooner or later players wages and possibly transfer fees will have to be capped.  If you don't control it then there will always be clubs who do a 'Rangers'.  And the clubs who try to do it right will get left behind for a while to their fans frustration (celtic).

Applesisapples

I have to say when McCann was in charge I was as frustrated as the next fan, but in hindsight he has been proven right. That said I hope Rangers emerge from this as we need the rivalry.

charlieTully

its not the way Lenny would have ideally liked to win his first SPL title especially after such a turnaround being 15 points down, 17 games on the bounce is fantastic but you get the feeling all that will be now be put down to the orcs financial disaster.

Applesisapples

Quote from: charlieTully on February 15, 2012, 09:10:25 PM
its not the way Lenny would have ideally liked to win his first SPL title especially after such a turnaround being 15 points down, 17 games on the bounce is fantastic but you get the feeling all that will be now be put down to the orcs financial disaster.
Not if he maintains a greater than 10 point lead.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: charlieTully on February 15, 2012, 09:10:25 PM

One of the bluenoses on Jim Spence's blog put it the best:-

"celtic have been handed The Title on merit"