?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

AZOffaly

Quote from: Pat Mustard on August 26, 2011, 10:48:00 AM
Quote from: screenmachine on August 26, 2011, 10:31:48 AM
People need to face facts and realise that Celtic and Rangers are no longer (not that they really ever were) a force in European football. They are at best an Inter Toto (or its current equivalent) type club. This romantic notion that Celtic could cut it with the big boys in the Premiership is bollocks, top ten would be a real stretch for either club currently. There really is no point in getting rid of Lennon unless 75-100% of the squad is going as well. As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, or something to that affect. Yet we still have eejits sailing the high seas week in week out to go and watch second/third rate football. Lunatics.
What exactly is an "Inter Toto(or its current equivalent) type club"? Yet another clueless opinion. Could the current Celtic team cut it in the premiership? Obviously not. The financial budget the club currently work around is lower than that of a championship club. Now, can your brain comprehend the fact that if Celtic were in the premiership, they'd have far more tv income, ticket income, and are one of the most marketable football teams around? There'd be an opportunity for Celic to be be the biggest in Scotland, Ireland, even the Yanks would buy in to it to an extent.
In case you still can't comprehend, I'll spell it out. Premiership = Moneybags. At the minute Celtic have none so couldn't compete. If they got money, they could. Understand?
As for your shite about "lunatics" going to watch 3rd rate football every week, I'd hazard a guess its for the same reason you go to watch Ballinascreen every week. ;)

But sure you could say that about any club Pat. Notts Forest would have piles of cash if they were in the Premiership, so would Leeds. Celtic or Rangers no more deserve to be in the premiership than those teams, so if they were to come into English football, a lá Cardiff/Swansea,  I think they'd have to start in League 1 at best and work their way up, like other big clubs have to do.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: snoopdog on August 25, 2011, 09:26:49 PM
to think Celtic and Rangers want to join the Premier league. Truth is they would struggle in the 3rd tier of English football.

This is the type of stupid assed comment that really annoys me.
Swansea v West Brom would get nearly as much for their televised match against each other as Celtic get all season!! Your comparing apples with oranges, if Celtic were to go to England then they would get a massive income increase and would be able to attract much, much better players. We have a stadium which holds 62 thousand people, there are only a couple of stadia in England that can even come close!
Tbc....

AZOffaly

If Celtic were to go where in England GD? Straight into the Premiership? Undoubtedly. Would they get a massive boost if they were to join in the lower leagues? And if not, why should they, or Rangers, get special treatment and be parachuted into the Premiership? At the moment, they are playing at a standard more akin to Championship level, and probably mid table. That's all you can deal with. Saying they'd have a much better squad if they were in the premiership is undoubtedly true, but is also probably true for Leeds, Forest, Southampton, and a host of other clubs too.

Club Rossa

Screenmachine,you ridicule people for going to support their team.Are the people who watch Ballinascreen every week lunatics saying that you have went 37 years with no county title?
It's called backing your team.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 26, 2011, 10:51:36 AM
People need to face facts and realise that Celtic and Rangers are no longer (not that they really ever were) a force in European football. They are at best an Inter Toto (or its current equivalent) type club. This romantic notion that Celtic could cut it with the big boys in the Premiership is bollocks, top ten would be a real stretch for either club currently. There really is no point in getting rid of Lennon unless 75-100% of the squad is going as well. As the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, or something to that affect. Yet we still have eejits sailing the high seas week in week out to go and watch second/third rate football. Lunatics.
What exactly is an "Inter Toto(or its current equivalent) type club"? Yet another clueless opinion. Could the current Celtic team cut it in the premiership? Obviously not. The financial budget the club currently work around is lower than that of a championship club. Now, can your brain comprehend the fact that if Celtic were in the premiership, they'd have far more tv income, ticket income, and are one of the most marketable football teams around? There'd be an opportunity for Celic to be be the biggest in Scotland, Ireland, even the Yanks would buy in to it to an extent.
In case you still can't comprehend, I'll spell it out. Premiership = Moneybags. At the minute Celtic have none so couldn't compete. If they got money, they could. Understand?
As for your shite about "lunatics" going to watch 3rd rate football every week, I'd hazard a guess its for the same reason you go to watch Ballinascreen every week. ;)

But sure you could say that about any club Pat. Notts Forest would have piles of cash if they were in the Premiership, so would Leeds. Celtic or Rangers no more deserve to be in the premiership than those teams, so if they were to come into English football, a lá Cardiff/Swansea,  I think they'd have to start in League 1 at best and work their way up, like other big clubs have to do.

No you couldn't, there is no comparison between Celtic and any other clubs in Britian in terms of support, except for Man U, Liverpool, possibly Arsenal and Chelsea.
Celtic have a world wide fan base, which would only grow bigger if they played on the big stage that is the EPL.
Tbc....

Pat Mustard

I wasn't actually saying Celtic should be in the premiership, I was just stating the efffect it would have if they were. Celtic and Rangers have much more potential revenue wise than the 2 you mentioned IMO.
For the record, I'd love to see us in the premiership, but I do actually agree with you that we shouldn't go straight in, and at least have to start at the championship. I do reckon that as the English league continues to implode money-wise over the next few years we may get invited.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 26, 2011, 10:58:13 AM

No you couldn't, there is no comparison between Celtic and any other clubs in Britian in terms of support, except for Man U, Liverpool, possibly Arsenal and Chelsea.
Celtic have a world wide fan base, which would only grow bigger if they played on the big stage that is the EPL.

I'm saying that if you popped any team into the Premiership they would get a huge cash flow increase. Obviously Celtic have more intangibles than a lot of them, but saying they are better than championship standard because they'd have huge money in the premiership is a straw man I think.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 26, 2011, 10:56:25 AM
If Celtic were to go where in England GD? Straight into the Premiership? Undoubtedly. Would they get a massive boost if they were to join in the lower leagues? And if not, why should they, or Rangers, get special treatment and be parachuted into the Premiership?

The EPL is heading towards financial meltdown, the bubble will pop at some stage unless some financial restraints are put in place, players earning 200k+ sweet feck no team can support that in the long term. Celtic into that pot would increase the appeal of the EPL and bring it to an even wider audience.
Btw I'm not saying that Celtic should necessarily go straight into the EPL.
Tbc....

AZOffaly

I think this goes back to the age old difference between a 'club' and a 'team'.

The current Celtic 'team' is nowhere good enough for the premiership. Celtic the 'club' would be a huge club in the premiership.

Just the same as the Liverpool 'team' of the last good while is not nearly the force Liverpool the 'club' should be.

So when I say Celtic shouldn't be parachuted into the Premiership, it's because I think they should have to earn their way in. If they did earn their way in, then I agree they would have the financial muscle to compete very quickly.

I think other people are simply saying this team is nowhere near Premiership standard, and they are correct as well.

Bingo

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 26, 2011, 10:53:43 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on August 25, 2011, 09:26:49 PM
to think Celtic and Rangers want to join the Premier league. Truth is they would struggle in the 3rd tier of English football.

This is the type of stupid assed comment that really annoys me.
Swansea v West Brom would get nearly as much for their televised match against each other as Celtic get all season!! Your comparing apples with oranges, if Celtic were to go to England then they would get a massive income increase and would be able to attract much, much better players. We have a stadium which holds 62 thousand people, there are only a couple of stadia in England that can even come close!

In fairness, I don't think this holds up anymore. If anything, last night will put the final nail into any hopes the two Glasglow teams have of joing the top league in England. Why should they? They have just proven that they aren't competitive with middle tier european sides. Its all well and good saying that the money would make a difference but they are that far behind now that they'd need a whole new squad of players just to stay in the division. The money on offer would never allow that. The players are championship standard at best and its only going the other way.

Its a shame as 4/5 years ago, they would have had decent squads and been competitive. Its not hard to see why Scottish clubs have been snapping up League of Ireland players cause thats the standard they are at.

I'm afraid the highlight of Celtics season may have been the legends game V United in front of a full house a few weeks back. Larsson would still walk onto the celtic team.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on August 26, 2011, 11:02:33 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 26, 2011, 10:56:25 AM
If Celtic were to go where in England GD? Straight into the Premiership? Undoubtedly. Would they get a massive boost if they were to join in the lower leagues? And if not, why should they, or Rangers, get special treatment and be parachuted into the Premiership?

The EPL is heading towards financial meltdown, the bubble will pop at some stage unless some financial restraints are put in place, players earning 200k+ sweet feck no team can support that in the long term. Celtic into that pot would increase the appeal of the EPL and bring it to an even wider audience.
Btw I'm not saying that Celtic should necessarily go straight into the EPL.

I agree with that by the way, and a part of me looks forward to it. As long as clubs don't vanish, I'd love to see the money return to something resembling reality. At least loyalty might come back into the game then, and teams would have to work and coach their way to success rather than spending a billionaires money. (I include Liverpool in that before anyone has a pop).

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heffo on August 26, 2011, 10:45:41 AM
Unless you're talking about the Doctor Martins league LB there is no way a Celtic reserve/Youth team would fly up the leagues.
There are a lot of good pro's operating in the lower leagues and they can be very hard to get out of.
As it stands Celtic are a championship standard team. The days of the 40k a week contracts and the accompanying quality are long gone
Yes Heffo, whatever lower league Celtic get admission for, they need to pick players who woul dbe above that standard and send them down to rise through the ranks.
there will have to be some legal rebranding etc done to effectively allow them to operate two side in two diff uefa juristictions. but it can be done.
OR
Celtic could buy out a lower league club like MK dons did with wimbledon and at some stage move the ground - ie move it to Glasgow at some point...when they get into the english championship.

the arguments that the EPL wont want Celtic (or rangers) because they are now rubbish will be negated by the fact that the fans they have and the money they will generate through interest and eng/scots rivalry etc. sky have wanted Celtic and to a lesser extent rangers for over a decade now. they still do - and if sky/epl is struggling financially- it could pave the way a lot more quickly for their entry.
the other way I mentioned is longer and the timeline would be guaranteed( subject to success)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

screenmachine

Quote from: Club Rossa on August 26, 2011, 10:57:37 AM
Screenmachine,you ridicule people for going to support their team.Are the people who watch Ballinascreen every week lunatics saying that you have went 37 years with no county title?

I was implying that people who travel in there thousands from here every week are lunatics.  I can't see how you can make a comparison with someone who has to get a bus, ferry/plane and then another bus to watch a crap match with someone who maybe has to travel an average of about two miles to watch a club GAA match.  A comparison on your scale would be busloads of people from Ballinascreen travelling to Wexford, for example, for a division three football match every week.  If this was the case then yes, I would be calling these people lunatics as well.

At the end of the day, there has been plenty of teams from lower leagues who have made it into the Premier League and had further investment, etc. and not made that big an impact.  For any team to have real success and attract the best players they would need to be playing Champions League football.  If Celtic/Rangers were to be parachuted into the Premiership, who would they replace in the top four out of currently Man United, Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal and with a host of other clubs hot on their heels.  And before somebody comes back with, 'Celtic would have more money and could buy better players...'.  Who are they going to attract to compete with players at the big clubs in England.  Surely if these players are any use they will already be at a better club than Celtic/Rangers and will have no interest in joining.

This imaginary money scenario is all theoretical stuff anyway.  Let's deal with the facts...Celtic and Rangers are shite.  All the imaginary money in the world won't change that...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

Pat Mustard

Quote from: screenmachine on August 26, 2011, 12:26:51 PM
Quote from: Club Rossa on August 26, 2011, 10:57:37 AM

I was implying that people who travel in there thousands from here every week are lunatics.  I can't see how you can make a comparison with someone who has to get a bus, ferry/plane and then another bus to watch a crap match with someone who maybe has to travel an average of about two miles to watch a club GAA match.  A comparison on your scale would be busloads of people from Ballinascreen travelling to Wexford, for example, for a division three football match every week.  If this was the case then yes, I would be calling these people lunatics as well.

At the end of the day, there has been plenty of teams from lower leagues who have made it into the Premier League and had further investment, etc. and not made that big an impact.  For any team to have real success and attract the best players they would need to be playing Champions League football.  If Celtic/Rangers were to be parachuted into the Premiership, who would they replace in the top four out of currently Man United, Man City, Chelsea or Arsenal and with a host of other clubs hot on their heels.  And before somebody comes back with, 'Celtic would have more money and could buy better players...'.  Who are they going to attract to compete with players at the big clubs in England.  Surely if these players are any use they will already be at a better club than Celtic/Rangers and will have no interest in joining.

This imaginary money scenario is all theoretical stuff anyway.  Let's deal with the facts...Celtic and Rangers are shite.  All the imaginary money in the world won't change that...
Simpleton.