Football All Stars 2018

Started by thewobbler, July 25, 2018, 06:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 14, 2018, 12:25:05 AM
I can't understand why Conor McManus is rated to get an allstar. Good player and all, probably deserves a nomination, but well behind the likes of Clifford, Mannion, Murphy, Comer, Burke and Rock in my book. He was pretty poor yesterday bar his frees. Think he's just short of this level, which is not really an insult. The final gets too much sway in these things but at the moment I'd go for Clifford, Mannion, Burke in the FF line but that feels harsh on Comer and Murphy.

I think even with the last minute brain fart, Beggan should get keeper. Has been a real difference maker all season. Others I'd say are in the box seat with one game to go are Cooper, O'Connell, McCaffrey, Fenton, Cavanagh, Shane Walsh and Kilkenny. Perhaps this year with the Super 8's exposure it might be slightly lass Final-centric? Certainly should be anyway.

Pretty big statement to make Seanie.
Gets some super scores from play to go along with his free taking.

Given the amount of attention he gets from other teams, as they know take him out of it and you will beat Monaghan, it is pretty impressive what he returns each game

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Taylor on August 14, 2018, 08:30:43 AM
I can't understand why Conor McManus is rated to get an allstar. Good player and all, probably deserves a nomination, but well behind the likes of Clifford, Mannion, Murphy, Comer, Burke and Rock in my book. He was pretty poor yesterday bar his frees. Think he's just short of this level, which is not really an insult. The final gets too much sway in these things but at the moment I'd go for Clifford, Mannion, Burke in the FF line but that feels harsh on Comer and Murphy.

I think even with the last minute brain fart, Beggan should get keeper. Has been a real difference maker all season. Others I'd say are in the box seat with one game to go are Cooper, O'Connell, McCaffrey, Fenton, Cavanagh, Shane Walsh and Kilkenny. Perhaps this year with the Super 8's exposure it might be slightly lass Final-centric? Certainly should be anyway.

Given the amount of attention he gets from other teams, as they know take him out of it and you will beat Monaghan, it is pretty impressive what he returns each game

I wouldn't have McManus in my All Star team this year. Don't think he contributed all that much from play this year apart from the Kerry game, he's certainly learnt how to win a soft free this year too. He's been an exceptional forward for a long time and probably the best inside forward the last 5 years but he's not hit the heights of previous years.

ONeill

Padraig Hampsey at 5/2 is very good odds.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 15, 2018, 08:24:25 PM

I wouldn't have McManus in my All Star team this year. Don't think he contributed all that much from play this year apart from the Kerry game, he's certainly learnt how to win a soft free this year too. He's been an exceptional forward for a long time and probably the best inside forward the last 5 years but he's not hit the heights of previous years.

McManus should be the first name on the All-Star team. Monaghan's system really only works with him there either scoring points, drawing frees or drawing double and triple marks.

Monagahan would be exposed for being a bunch of game but limited footballers if they didn't have 15.

Gold

Quote from: Syferus on August 15, 2018, 10:19:30 PM

McManus should be the first name on the All-Star team. Monaghan's system really only works with him there either scoring points, drawing frees or drawing double and triple marks.

Monagahan would be exposed for being a bunch of game but limited footballers if they didn't have 15.

Totally agree

From play he has been immense this year. He gets fouled as he is too good to let play
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

lenny

Quote from: Gold on August 16, 2018, 12:05:48 AM

Totally agree

From play he has been immense this year. He gets fouled as he is too good to let play

Mcmanus is class. If he was from dublin or kerry he would be their best forward at the moment. Automatic choice.

The Subbie

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on August 13, 2018, 11:06:51 AM
Niall Morgan ahead of Beggan now. Best keeper in the country
Put the crack pipe down man, it's really affecting your mental facilities.

straightred

Quote from: kerryforsam2018 on August 13, 2018, 11:06:51 AM
Niall Morgan ahead of Beggan now. Best keeper in the country
The only person who might threaten Beggan is Cluxton but even then I think he won't. Cluxton let in a few soft goals this year (although he did redeem himself with the penalty save vs galway). He has been very harshly treated over the years by the all stars. E.g. Kealy from kerry got one in 2015 despite letting in a load of goals that year and not setting the world on fire with his other play either. That was when the finalists had to get 4 or 5 by default. Hopefully the super 8s will change that thinking,.

Blowitupref

Going by the odds the All stars will be

Rory Beggan (Monaghan)
Johnny Cooper (Dublin)
Padriag Hampsey (Tyrone)
Karl O Connell (Monaghan)
Tiernan McCann (Tyrone)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
Brian Fenton (Dublin)
Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
Shane Walsh (Galway)
Brian Howard (Dublin)
Paul Mannion (Dublin)
Conor McManus (Monaghan)
David Clifford (Kerry)

Footballer of the year Ciaran Kilkenny
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mourne Red

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 03, 2018, 02:26:29 PM

Rory Beggan (Monaghan)
Johnny Cooper (Dublin)
Padriag Hampsey (Tyrone)
Tiernan McCann (Tyrone)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
Brian Fenton (Dublin)
Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
Shane Walsh (Galway)
Brian Howard (Dublin)
Paul Mannion (Dublin)
Conor McManus (Monaghan)
David Clifford (Kerry)

McCann? Wouldn't have him down for an All-Star

Jinxy

FOTY is Brian Fenton for me.
Scoring, fielding, attacking, defending.
The perfect skill-set for a midfielder in any era.
Not sure what else he can do tbh.
Kilkenny orchestrates the attack but I hate to see him running sideways & backwards so much.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Jinxy on September 03, 2018, 02:37:17 PM
FOTY is Brian Fenton for me.
Scoring, fielding, attacking, defending.
The perfect skill-set for a midfielder in any era.
Not sure what else he can do tbh.
Kilkenny orchestrates the attack but I hate to see him running sideways & backwards so much.

Fenton has been superb again and might be value bet at 7/1. I think Kilkenny is doing less of the sideways & backwards stuff now and he added more scores to this game this summer. Ended up as the top scoring forward from play with 2-24 and the footballer of the year last year was Andy Moran with 3-24 from play.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Gold on August 16, 2018, 12:05:48 AM

Totally agree

Perhaps I was little harsh on McManus although still think he's had better years and didn't get one.

Jinxy

I love the way people always have Michael Murphy in the running for an All-Star in the full forward line.
It wouldn't matter if he played in goals.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 03, 2018, 02:26:29 PM

Rory Beggan (Monaghan)
Johnny Cooper (Dublin)
Padriag Hampsey (Tyrone)
Tiernan McCann (Tyrone)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
Brian Fenton (Dublin)
Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
Shane Walsh (Galway)
Brian Howard (Dublin)
Paul Mannion (Dublin)
Conor McManus (Monaghan)
David Clifford (Kerry)

That will be near enough the team I'd say. Cluxton surely sealed an All Star yesterday though, his kickouts were masterful again. Beggan seemed a cert a month ago but not now. Also not sure about Cavanagh in midfield. If there was a designated 'sweeper' position then fine, he is extremely good at playing the role but in a footballing ability sense he is nowhere near being among the top midfielders.

Kilkenny will be player of the year and you could easily see 3 Dubs nominated this year. Kilkenny, Fenton and McCaffrey.