Rape victim receives 101 lashes for becoming pregnant

Started by ludermor, January 26, 2010, 12:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

A 16-year-old girl who was raped in Bangladesh has been given 101 lashes for conceiving during the assault.

The girl's father was also fined and warned the family would be branded outcasts from their village if he did not pay.

According to human rights activists, the girl, who was quickly married after the attack, was divorced weeks later after medical tests revealed she was pregnant.

The girl was raped by a 20-year-old villager in Brahmanbaria district in April last year.

Bangladesh's Daily Star newspaper reported that she was so ashamed following the attack that she did not lodge a complaint.

Her rape emerged after her pregnancy test and Muslim elders in the village issued a fatwa insisting that the girl be kept in isolation until her family agreed to corporal punishment.

Her rapist was pardoned by the elders. She told the newspaper the rapist had "spoiled" her life.

"I want justice," she said.
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/rape-victim-receives-101-lashes-for-becoming-pregnant-2031669.html

Apart from the lashing (and the fact the rapist got caught on CCTV and convicted) you could nearly swap this place for Listowel.

orangeman

Quote from: ludermor on January 26, 2010, 12:43:47 PM
A 16-year-old girl who was raped in Bangladesh has been given 101 lashes for conceiving during the assault.

The girl's father was also fined and warned the family would be branded outcasts from their village if he did not pay.

According to human rights activists, the girl, who was quickly married after the attack, was divorced weeks later after medical tests revealed she was pregnant.

The girl was raped by a 20-year-old villager in Brahmanbaria district in April last year.

Bangladesh's Daily Star newspaper reported that she was so ashamed following the attack that she did not lodge a complaint.

Her rape emerged after her pregnancy test and Muslim elders in the village issued a fatwa insisting that the girl be kept in isolation until her family agreed to corporal punishment.

Her rapist was pardoned by the elders. She told the newspaper the rapist had "spoiled" her life.

"I want justice," she said.
http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/rape-victim-receives-101-lashes-for-becoming-pregnant-2031669.html

Apart from the lashing (and the fact the rapist got caught on CCTV and convicted) you could nearly swap this place for Listowel.

Shocking story.

Are there many from Listowel living in Bangladesh ?  ;)

Celt_Man

GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ziggysego

You read about this sort of stuff all the time. It's amazing they can get away treating women like this, second class members of society. This being of course the the worst way.

Disgusting and I don't care what religions or cultures it offends.
Testing Accessibility

mannix

its a savage world we live in, they adore cows in india and lash a youngster for being raped in bangladesh,eat dogs in china and adore cats in england. the rapist should be lashed,but I suppose its like kerry, they shook his hand and blamed the girl

no mo do yakamo

Yeah. Thats pretty much what we do down here in kerry. Rape Rape Rape. Theres schools that teach it and everything. We will be giving the annual awards out on paddys day.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

stew

Quote from: ziggysego on January 26, 2010, 03:39:41 PM
You read about this sort of stuff all the time. It's amazing they can get away treating women like this, second class members of society. This being of course the the worst way.

Disgusting and I don't care what religions or cultures it offends.

Fair play to you ziggy, this is too unbelievable for words. I recall an incident in Pakistan were a young man was walking down the street with a single women who failed to cover herself up appropriately, she was his aunt I believe, anyway the village elders got together and decided that the fitting punishment would be for them to gang rape his young sister, and thats what they did.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

pintsofguinness

There's just no words.  what sort of mentality is behind that.  That said we've as bad in Ireland!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stew

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 26, 2010, 07:26:39 PM
There's just no words.  what sort of mentality is behind that.  That said we've as bad in Ireland!

No we do not pints.

In the other case a court decided she should get whipped, in Irelands case you have an idiot Priest and a bunch of stupid idiots that shook the rapists hand as he was being laid away after getting convicted. Not even close in my opinion.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.