FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Yeah that is a good point. They have been setup very well and DiMaria was a master stroke. You look at his history etc and lack of experience he is obviously a very capable manager.

grounded

Quote from: seafoid on December 18, 2022, 05:35:39 PM
McAllister's family is Irish. He has a brother called Kevin. There is a hurling club in Buenos Aires by the way as there is a sizeable Irish community there. 
So would he be potentially 10 minutes away from being the first Irish person to win the World Cup ?

Aye Kevin, is he home alone?

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Mike Tyson on December 19, 2022, 09:49:45 AM
Too young to remember anything pre Euro 96, so for me this was the best international tournament I've watched for excitement, surprises and pure entertainment. The final round of group stage matches was great fun. The final a fitting end to the tournament - I don't think I've enjoyed a match as much before and certainly was the best final I can ever remember from any tournament.

Argentina certainly got the rub of the green at various points in the tournament but don't think anyone could argue they didn't deserve to win it. Messi certainly deserved the golden ball this tournament and nice to see him finally get land the big one.

Did England leave it behind them? Asking for a friend 😜

johnnycool

Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 19, 2022, 11:33:49 AM
Too young to remember anything pre Euro 96, so for me this was the best international tournament I've watched for excitement, surprises and pure entertainment. The final round of group stage matches was great fun. The final a fitting end to the tournament - I don't think I've enjoyed a match as much before and certainly was the best final I can ever remember from any tournament.

Argentina certainly got the rub of the green at various points in the tournament but don't think anyone could argue they didn't deserve to win it. Messi certainly deserved the golden ball this tournament and nice to see him finally get land the big one.

Argentina found a good balance as the tournament went on, they had probably the hardest working/running midfield to compliment the qualities of Messi and Di Maria, Alvarez also ran himself ragged to torment opponents for as long as his legs could go plus putting the ball in the net pretty regularly.

Defensively they were solid, if not spectacular and Martinez is the keeper of the tournament, no doubt.

J70

Great tournament overall, and one of the best matches I've ever seen for the final.

Yeah, it was a bit stagnant for minutes in the second half and looked to be petering out, but what sporting event ever has had excitement from the first minute to the last?

Last minutes plus all the injury time plus the penalties was absolutely gripping. And the football Argentina played in the first half was top class too.

And we got two of the goals of the tournament in the final as well. The second Argentina goal was breathtaking first touch football, while Mbappe... As he hit it, I was shouting "why is he shooting from there? Why didn't he take a touch??" Shows you what I know! ;D

Martinez is a **** in the best sporting sense. You'd love his shithousing if it was for your side, and he can back it up too. Brilliant penalty save, and not for the first time in the tournament. And this for a lad who was an average journeyman for most of his career and sitting on Arsenal's bench two years ago.

Watch the scramble now in January for some of those Argentina players, along with the other big names and made-their-name players from the other teams. 

clarshack

yer man Salt Bae embarrassing himself with the World Cup trophy. Could maybe see through it if he was a famous Argentinian celebrity but the guy is Turkish ffs.

mouview

Quote from: johnnycool on December 19, 2022, 12:00:16 PM
Quote from: Tatler Jack on December 19, 2022, 11:33:49 AM

Argentina found a good balance as the tournament went on, they had probably the hardest working/running midfield to compliment the qualities of Messi and Di Maria, Alvarez also ran himself ragged to torment opponents for as long as his legs could go plus putting the ball in the net pretty regularly.

Defensively they were solid, if not spectacular and Martinez is the keeper of the tournament, no doubt.

Croatian keeper wasn't far behind him.

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on December 19, 2022, 12:28:39 PM
Martinez is a **** in the best sporting sense. You'd love his shithousing if it was for your side, and he can back it up too. Brilliant penalty save, and not for the first time in the tournament. And this for a lad who was an average journeyman for most of his career and sitting on Arsenal's bench two years ago.

Arguably, he is just a **** in the sense of being a complete ******. You have just won the biggest game in the world and are on TV in front of 1.5Bn people, do you really want to be remembered for this? You wouldn't see Cluxton at that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eire90

Quote from: clarshack on December 19, 2022, 02:06:56 PM
yer man Salt Bae embarrassing himself with the World Cup trophy. Could maybe see through it if he was a famous Argentinian celebrity but the guy is Turkish ffs.

i never heard of salt bea before today.

pbat

Quote from: Eire90 on December 19, 2022, 08:11:51 PM
Quote from: clarshack on December 19, 2022, 02:06:56 PM

i never heard of salt bea before today.

Yeah had to google him myself, seems like a right tool.

J70

Quote from: armaghniac on December 19, 2022, 08:08:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 19, 2022, 12:28:39 PM

Arguably, he is just a **** in the sense of being a complete ******. You have just won the biggest game in the world and are on TV in front of 1.5Bn people, do you really want to be remembered for this? You wouldn't see Cluxton at that.

No defending that all right.

I was being generous and assuming he's not a complete immature moron personally and will be embarrassed about a momentary loss of sense. Honestly don't know much about him as a person.

My comment was about him as a goalkeeper.

Blowitupref

Made an ass of himself in the presentation but that save will go down as one of the best ever given the timing of it.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

BrotherMore6592

Fair play to him, having a bit of craic. Two fingers up to the PC brigade, FIFA, Sheikhs and all the other bollocks in todays world. More power to him. He has a craziness in him, we should never lose that

AustinPowers

Messi should have ripped that  stupid coat off before he lifted the trophy  too

clarshack

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 20, 2022, 12:04:58 AM
Messi should have ripped that  stupid coat off before he lifted the trophy  too

Absolutely.