FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

Started by laoislad, April 01, 2022, 06:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 10, 2022, 10:00:13 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on December 10, 2022, 09:24:45 PM
You can be the best team all you want, the object of the game is to score. France under par (and missing a few key players) found a way. That's what teams at the very top do

Is Pogba a key player? More of distraction and blessing for them to be not there. Peak Kante a loss but in current form? Benzema their biggest loss yet would Giroud be starting if he was around?

England remind me of Mayo. Important game there to be won and find a way to lose it

Like Mayo they seem to try to hard. Over think things. Looking for that edge to cross the line. France look less burdened as the need/expectation is lower from their country. That what winning does. They have the confidence and experience of crossing the line.

red hander

Quote from: Orior on December 10, 2022, 09:49:05 PM
Great. Now we all can get back to hating Megan.

Nah. I'll just get back to hating soup drinking bastards like Rice and Grealish. Vive La France.

RedHand88

The reformation of France from November 2009 seems to be complete going by ones here!

lenny

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 10, 2022, 10:07:25 PM
You can be the best team all you want, the object of the game is to score. France under par (and missing a few key players) found a way. That's what teams at the very top do

Is Pogba a key player? More of distraction and blessing for them to be not there. Peak Kante a loss but in current form? Benzema their biggest loss yet would Giroud be starting if he was around?

England remind me of Mayo. Important game there to be won and find a way to lose it

Like Mayo they seem to try to hard. Over think things. Looking for that edge to cross the line. France look less burdened as the need/expectation is lower from their country. That what winning does. They have the confidence and experience of crossing the line.

Walker and saka were brilliant for England, Bellingham looks a great player also. They have real weak links too though. Pickford, maguire and Shaw don't deserve to be on a World Cup winning side. Their young players look good so it wouldn't surprise me if they're knocking about the latter stages of the next few major tournaments.

square_ball

France do seem to get something out of Pogba though as you say Kante os a fading force. I thought Giroud was one of the worst players on the pitch but come up with the goal so suppose he done his job. Benzema up front would have given Maguire and Stones nightmares. 

I think England will be in contention for the new few tournaments. Though they don't seem to have much coming through up front so once Kane is on the downward spiral I'm not sure who will replace him.

Capt Pat

France were good when they needed to be but sat back too much when they went ahead. Brazil were caught out when they became negative after taking the lead against Croatia. Kane let France off the hook.

Wildweasel74

Can't score from play but complain they been hard done by. As Clint Eastwood would say, Deserve got nothing to do with it. Winners grind out victories even when playing poorly.

AustinPowers

I thought England were deliberately diving to  win frees and penalties.  That saka penalty was no foul.  Kane and saka diving all  over the shop. 

England cried about not getting a penalty then Henderson shoved giroud in the area and the commentators didn't even  acknowledge it. A clear penalty. Then Mbappe was blatantly shoved near the corner flag  at the end and no foul. England went straight up and might  have equalised from the rashford free  kick

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AustinPowers on December 10, 2022, 10:40:38 PM
I thought England were deliberately diving to  win frees and penalties.  That saka penalty was no foul.  Kane and saka diving all  over the shop. 

England cried about not getting a penalty then Henderson shoved giroud in the area and the commentators didn't even  acknowledge it. A clear penalty. Then Mbappe was blatantly shoved near the corner flag  at the end and no foul. England went straight up and might  have equalised from the rashford free  kick
They always dive. Kane has built it into his game and has it down to an art form. Sterling was brought on to do the same. Having said that some of the French defending was suicidal.

ONeill

I thought England were slightly the better side tonight. Had that penalty gone in, I think they might well have gone on to win the damn thing. But the footballing Gods don't seem to like the English.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RedHand88

This one will have really hurt them. It wasn't like Germany 2010 or Brazil 2002. They were probably the better team tonight and could easily have won.

square_ball

That 2nd penalty was as stupid a foul as I have seen on a football pitch from the French defender.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 10, 2022, 11:05:49 PM
This one will have really hurt them. It wasn't like Germany 2010 or Brazil 2002. They were probably the better team tonight and could easily have won.
Add to that they would have seen Morocco as a minor annoyance on the way to the final. It'll smart for a long time.

RedHand88

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 10, 2022, 11:11:05 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on December 10, 2022, 11:05:49 PM
Add to that they would have seen Morocco as a minor annoyance on the way to the final. It'll smart for a long time.

It reminds me of Tyrone 2016. We should have beat Mayo in the quarter final and had chance after chance late on but couldn't take them.
A semi final against Tipperary was left behind that day.

gawa316

Quote from: square_ball on December 10, 2022, 11:09:48 PM
That 2nd penalty was as stupid a foul as I have seen on a football pitch from the French defender.

Can't believe the ref needed VAR to intervene