Author Topic: Death Notices  (Read 1258891 times)

CiKe

• View Profile
Re: Death Notices
« Reply #8145 on: July 26, 2022, 10:02:56 AM »
"Right until recent days David continued to use his political skill and intellect, most recently in support of the United Kingdom's decision to leave the European Union and in opposition to the Northern Ireland Protocol.

As a Nobel laureate, his words carried significant weight and he helped raise awareness of the threat the protocol posed to Northern Ireland, particularly amongst the wider UK audience.

He leaves a huge and lasting legacy to Northern Ireland. He can undoubtedly be said to have shaped history in our country."

Jeffrey would never pass up an opportunity to be self-serving...

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: July 26, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »
Trimble was a bitter little man. He only followed the path of peace when he was led by Hume, Adams, Blair, money and the promise of a seat in the Lords. John Hume donated his Nobel Peace Prize money to charity. Trimble spent his on himelf. Trimble the traitor (as he was known to the DUP) also triggered the demise of the UUP who never wanted to compromise to catholics in the north.

But I am sure Daphne will miss him. May he rest in peace.

Gerry the peacemaker.
Trimble was a pragmatist. All other options were closed off. Power sharing was the only show in town and he recognised that and took that path. Some would do well to learn from his example today.
There is no doubt he was a committed protestant and Orange man. That shone through when he danced down the Garvaghy Road.

Snapchap

• View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: July 26, 2022, 10:08:02 AM »
Trimble was a bitter little man. He only followed the path of peace when he was led by Hume, Adams, Blair, money and the promise of a seat in the Lords. John Hume donated his Nobel Peace Prize money to charity. Trimble spent his on himelf. Trimble the traitor (as he was known to the DUP) also triggered the demise of the UUP who never wanted to compromise to catholics in the north.

But I am sure Daphne will miss him. May he rest in peace.

Gerry the peacemaker.
Trimble was a pragmatist. All other options were closed off. Power sharing was the only show in town and he recognised that and took that path. Some would do well to learn from his example today.
There is no doubt he was a committed protestant and Orange man. That shone through when he danced down the Garvaghy Road.

Are you trying to imply that Adams wasn't a peacemaker?  :o

Applesisapples

• View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: July 26, 2022, 11:03:50 AM »
Like Adams and McGuinness, Trimble could only have moved unionism from within and by being fairly staunch with it. The DUP and especially Donaldson and Foster stole his clothes (having stabbed him in the back).

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: July 26, 2022, 11:22:10 AM »
Like Adams and McGuinness, Trimble could only have moved unionism from within and by being fairly staunch with it. The DUP and especially Donaldson and Foster stole his clothes (having stabbed him in the back).

Trimble wouldn't have moved an inch if it hadn't of been for the loyalist cover afforded by the very strong support of David Ervine who knew then as now that the working class unionist communities were playthings for big house unionism.

Orior

• View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: July 26, 2022, 12:04:43 PM »

Trimble wouldn't have moved an inch if it hadn't of been for the loyalist cover afforded by the very strong support of David Ervine who knew then as now that the working class unionist communities were playthings for big house unionism.

That is a good point.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Armamike

• View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: July 26, 2022, 10:04:55 PM »
I always got the impression the Good Friday Agreement sat very uneasily with Trimble and he was a reluctant actor rather than someone with any kind of vision for a settlement here.  Seemed to me that he found himself in a position where he had no choice but to go along.  The British Governments under Major and Blair I think would have made it clear or at least implied it that there was no other show in town for unionism.  Maybe that's being unfair, but that was always my impression. 
From doubters to believers again.

93-DY-SAM

• View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: July 27, 2022, 09:50:47 AM »
I always got the impression the Good Friday Agreement sat very uneasily with Trimble and he was a reluctant actor rather than someone with any kind of vision for a settlement here.  Seemed to me that he found himself in a position where he had no choice but to go along.  The British Governments under Major and Blair I think would have made it clear or at least implied it that there was no other show in town for unionism.  Maybe that's being unfair, but that was always my impression.

I don't think that is unfair. I've always felt Trimble and the UUP were dragged along in the process and why many Unionists still have an issue with the GFA today.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: July 27, 2022, 09:53:19 AM »
Yeah I would agree though he still deserves some credit IMO.

A lot of people complaining about the NIP breaching the GFA (I have no idea when people started calling it the Belfast agreement - is it a Derry / Londonderry thing??) don't support it at all anyway. Jeffrey harping on about it and is anti it as they come. It annoys me that there is not significant media coverage of this.

tiempo

• View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: July 27, 2022, 09:58:35 AM »
Parity of esteem... of course he didn't want to sign up to it, he's a lodge man ffs. John Major would've let the Unionists away with delay and obstruction til kingdom come, same as the current Tories are. It was the landslide Labour victory that turned the tide politically in addition to American intervention.

Trimble was the right man in the wrong place at the wrong time as far as Unionism is concerned, was your common garden klansman underneath it all.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #8155 on: July 27, 2022, 10:54:39 AM »
May he Rest in Peace.
He was probably a very unwilling participant in doing the right thing but at least he did it.

I presume those calling it Belfast Agreement are some kind of fundamentalist Protestants who can't use the term "Good Friday" as it might be a "Romish" thing.
Remember we're a noble race from a land where Kings once trod.

Bord na Mona man

• View Profile
    • Uibhfhaili.com
« Reply #8156 on: July 27, 2022, 11:31:49 AM »
Trimble was probably looking at the long game. A few concessions to Nationalists in 1998 might appease them a little and slow down the momentum towards a united Ireland.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: July 27, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
Trimble was probably looking at the long game. A few concessions to Nationalists in 1998 might appease them a little and slow down the momentum towards a united Ireland.

Some noted political commentator at the time suggested that Unionists had won a great deal in the GFA yet deemed it a defeat whereas Nationalists had conceded a lot but celebrated it as a victory.

That probably tells you more about the unionist mindset as our betters than anything else.

J70

• View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: July 27, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
May he Rest in Peace.
He was probably a very unwilling participant in doing the right thing but at least he did it.

I presume those calling it Belfast Agreement are some kind of fundamentalist Protestants who can't use the term "Good Friday" as it might be a "Romish" thing.

The unionist side have always called it that.

Milltown Row2

• Catch yourself on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: July 27, 2022, 12:48:13 PM »
May he Rest in Peace.

The unionist side have always called it that.

I thought they called it (DUP) the Belfast agreement because they were not part of it, had nothing to do with the content of if, I think soft unionists call it still the Good Friday agreement
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea