Paddy Heaney of the irish news!

Started by culchy1, December 07, 2006, 10:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: bannside on December 01, 2015, 07:32:20 PM
Must confess that "Against the Breeze" was my my favourite read of the week. He really did just get it...the country ways and all that. But he knew the way football men thought and spoke and was a good judge himself. Rarely found much to disagree with and particularly liked his week in Kerry leading up to a final and seeing it from their perspective. Hopefully he won't lose the skill of his trade. It's in the blood as they say!

To be honest his column was the only reason I would buy the Irish news on a Tuesday. Tuesday used to be good for gaa fixtures but these are all available online or on twitter now. He 's has some brilliant columns over the years and some weak enough ones but even the weaker ones had a few laughs and good points contained in them.

WT4E

Quote from: BennyCake on December 02, 2015, 11:16:58 AM
Mickey Harte's column was pure dung.

Paddys I really enjoyed though. A lot of the time it was more about country life than sport, but still very enjoyable. Didn't know Seamus Heaney was his uncle.

does Harte not have a column anymore? I stopped buying a while ago!

yellowcard

Heaney was a very good journalist whose opinions were always worth listening to. It will definitely weaken the Irish News sports pages not to have his opinions in there as he was the top man imo. Didn't try to curry favour with players and managers in the manner of some journalists who like licking arse and always called a spade a spade. It's an unusual career path at his stage, I hope we haven't seen the last of his columns.   

Dubh driocht

Quote from: ExiledGael on December 01, 2015, 05:33:01 PM
I will miss it. Always worth a read and one of the few things to make you go out and actually buy a paper these days. Papers have less and less to separate themselves from their competitors - when it comes to sport anyway.
Is there an archive of his columns available anywhere?
I hope that Paddy will continue writing as he says things that need to be said and even when you don't agree with him,you understand where he is coming from. He has a passion for the game and understands all that goes with it.
The Irish News produced some booklets of his more memorable columns a few years ago and gave them away with the paper.

BennyCake

Quote from: WT4E on December 02, 2015, 01:41:37 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 02, 2015, 11:16:58 AM
Mickey Harte's column was pure dung.

Paddys I really enjoyed though. A lot of the time it was more about country life than sport, but still very enjoyable. Didn't know Seamus Heaney was his uncle.

does Harte not have a column anymore? I stopped buying a while ago!

No, thank feck. Danny Hughes and Philip Jordan contribute now.

ONeill

Always a great read. Horrible at predictions but usually looked at something with a unique eye.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

give her dixie

Quote from: WT4E on December 02, 2015, 09:13:47 AM

I think my favourite came a good few years ago it was the piece about the young boy in a classroom explaining to a teacher he wanted to be a GAA manager when he was older!

That article still stands out for me. Brilliant piece.

Loved his articles, and it was a joy to read him every Tuesday.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

tonto1888

Is he quitting? That's a shame if so. I enjoyed reading his articlrs

bennydorano

My favourite Journo by a long stretch, very sad to see him depart. Hope his Gym venture is a success but i'd still like to see him return to the writing.

I have the Against the Breeze booklets tucked away myself, they must be 7/8 yrs old now?? Might get me a £5er on ebay hi

crossfire

Against the breeze will be a big miss. He is a brilliant journalist and very witty.
My favourite article of Paddys was about the Kerry County Board rescinding Dara O'Sheas red card, received in a club game, so that he could play for Kerry in the All Ireland Championship.
I would love the chance to read it again.

Good luck Paddy in your new venture.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gaffer

Quote from: ONeill on December 12, 2015, 11:34:29 PM
Paddy who?

Paddy Bradley it must be. Can't think of any other Paddys
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Saffrongael

Back this week with a regular column
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

APM

Here's hoping that this will be a must read column like Against the Breeze. 

bannside

Fantastic News. Look forward to Wednesday....Paddys column was a must read for years. Always had his finger on the pulse