Armagh v Cork NFL Division 1 round 1 Sunday 05-02-12

Started by Onion Bag, January 30, 2012, 10:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerfArmagh

Quote from: DuffleKing on January 30, 2012, 11:25:54 AM
McKenna shouldn't be played in the full back line - very short on pace for that job.

Mc Kenna short on pace, don't know what games you have been attending DuffleKing.I firmly believe this will be Mc Kennas break through year... excellent defender & he can take a score

squire_in_navy_slacks

Just to let ya know dubs and cork played out a draw at the weekend in a challenge match  ;)

Onion Bag

Quote from: BerfArmagh on January 31, 2012, 06:06:02 PM
McKenna shouldn't be played in the full back line - very short on pace for that job.

Mc Kenna short on pace, don't know what games you have been attending DuffleKing.I firmly believe this will be Mc Kennas break through year... excellent defender & he can take a score

berf, I'm going to have to agree with duffleking on this one but I also reckon he is short of pace
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

bennydorano

I get the feeling that Armagh will merely be hoping to avoid carnage, however if Grimley is going to bring anything to the table, more than parking the bus around the HB line is required.  If Vernon isn't played around the middle I will truely despair, probably something along the lines of:

1 - Middletown guy looked potentially VG
2 - mallon
3 - Donaghy
4 - McKenna
5 - Dyas
6 - mckeever
7 - pduffy
8 - lavery
9 - Vernon
10 - Mackin
11 - M O'rourke
12 - Anto Duffy
13 - Stefan Campbell
14 - swift
15 - mcverry

Assuming Nippy is back at it, the Monaghan game suggested he'd a bit to go, so probably BJP in there.  Stefan Campbell could be our wildcard here, potentially very very good, I wouldn't have as much faith in Mcverry tbh and Nippy along with BJP could be more realistic.  Kingham's physicality will probably mean he'll feature somewhere at some point, but again I wouldn't be fussed on him,but he deserves a chance after the Mary's game.

That's not that terrible a team - I'd agree with sentiments that Cross players wont be our saviours.  If we could get a fit Ronan Clarke, Stevie and Jamie Clarke in a FF line I'd be more a lot more excited.

crossfire

Quote from: bennydorano on January 31, 2012, 08:04:19 PM
I get the feeling that Armagh will merely be hoping to avoid carnage, however if Grimley is going to bring anything to the table, more than parking the bus around the HB line is required.  If Vernon isn't played around the middle I will truely despair, probably something along the lines of:

2 - mallon
3 - Donaghy
4 - McKenna
5 - Dyas
6 - mckeever
7 - pduffy
8 - lavery
9 - Vernon
10 - Mackin
11 - M O'rourke
12 - Anto Duffy
13 - Stefan Campbell
14 - swift
15 - mcverry

Assuming Nippy is back at it, the Monaghan game suggested he'd a bit to go, so probably BJP in there.  Stefan Campbell could be our wildcard here, potentially very very good, I wouldn't have as much faith in Mcverry tbh and Nippy along with BJP could be more realistic.  Kingham's physicality will probably mean he'll feature somewhere at some point, but again I wouldn't be fussed on him,but he deserves a chance after the Mary's game.

That's not that terrible a team - I'd agree with sentiments that Cross players wont be our saviours.  If we could get a fit Ronan Clarke, Stevie and Jamie Clarke in a FF line I'd be more a lot more excited.
What club is he from.? ::)

BerfArmagh

I don'tget why O Rourke is playing Vernon in FB, surely this is donaghys position, Charlies not much taller than Donaghy, so it can't be to mark bigger men. Charlies best position is CHB, but the where do you play mc keever, considering our options he must play mid field

bennydorano

When you learn to distinguish between singular & plural come back to me crossfire

AFS

Quote from: BerfArmagh on January 31, 2012, 09:39:22 PM
I don'tget why O Rourke is playing Vernon in FB, surely this is donaghys position, Charlies not much taller than Donaghy, so it can't be to mark bigger men. Charlies best position is CHB, but the where do you play mc keever, considering our options he must play mid field

I wouldn't have thought Vernon was taller than Donaghy at all. There seems to have been an effort in the last year or two at finding an alternative FB. Not the worst idea in the world considering Donaghy has looked ropey at times recently and could always be hit by injury. But I wouldn't be sure about Vernon in defence at all, let alone at CHB. He might look decent there when up against the odd division two club CHF who probably spends the majority of the game running after him, but marking top class intercounty CHFs like O'Sullivan or Brogan would be a whole different story. I'm not sure how he'd reconcile the responsibility of marking a man with his instinct to carry the ball into high risk contact.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: crossfire on January 31, 2012, 09:20:22 PM

What club is he from.? ::)

Are you incapable of following the theme of a conversation or are you simply focused on making pointless interventions?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Throw ball

Quote from: bennydorano on January 31, 2012, 08:04:19 PM

2 - mallon
3 - Donaghy
4 - McKenna
5 - Dyas
6 - mckeever
7 - pduffy
8 - lavery
9 - Vernon
10 - Mackin
11 - M O'rourke
12 - Anto Duffy
13 - Stefan Campbell
14 - swift
15 - mcverry

Do not think we will see Nippy there. BJP will probably fill in somewhere. If a freetaker is a priority Carville has to have a chance.

gander

Quote from: BerfArmagh on January 31, 2012, 06:06:02 PM

I dont know if its a lack of pace or not, but I dont think corner back is the best place for him.  I think he will develop into a great player, but I think that will be in the half back line not the full back one

Orchardman

Quote from: AFS on January 31, 2012, 10:21:50 PM

I wouldn't have thought Vernon was taller than Donaghy at all. There seems to have been an effort in the last year or two at finding an alternative FB. Not the worst idea in the world considering Donaghy has looked ropey at times recently and could always be hit by injury. But I wouldn't be sure about Vernon in defence at all, let alone at CHB. He might look decent there when up against the odd division two club CHF who probably spends the majority of the game running after him, but marking top class intercounty CHFs like O'Sullivan or Brogan would be a whole different story. I'm not sure how he'd reconcile the responsibility of marking a man with his instinct to carry the ball into high risk contact.

Yea, having come accross both lads im fairly sure donaghy would be fair bit taller than vernon, charlie wouldn't even be 6ft. As you say, they seem to be playing about with this the last 2 years, it was always toner (who can do a good job in FB) and he's now gone, but it doesn't make much sense having vernon in there.

Over all it's not a good team by div 1 standards, though as said if we had a stevie and the 2 clarkes up front i would fancy us to get to the all-ireland final, as crazy as that might sound. That's how great them 3 are, on form.

Keane

Would be a fantastic full forward line alright, when's the last time Ronan Clarke was fit?

brokencrossbar1

Ronan Clarke won't play again for the county at anything close to the required level so I reckon people should simply forget about him as an option.  Carville will play on Sunday.  The result isn't necessarily the important thing as I think Armagh will get relegated come what may but the lay out of the team and the attitude will be key.  Think beyond the game and see the only real chance of silverware this year, the Anglo Celt, and the management should be building towards this.  I would push McKeever into the FB line and Donaghy out as Donaghy is a better footballer and McKeever a better marker. 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Orchardman on February 01, 2012, 05:54:52 PM
Quote from: AFS on January 31, 2012, 10:21:50 PM

Yea, having come accross both lads im fairly sure donaghy would be fair bit taller than vernon, charlie wouldn't even be 6ft. As you say, they seem to be playing about with this the last 2 years, it was always toner (who can do a good job in FB) and he's now gone, but it doesn't make much sense having vernon in there.

Over all it's not a good team by div 1 standards, though as said if we had a stevie and the 2 clarkes up front i would fancy us to get to the all-ireland final, as crazy as that might sound. That's how great them 3 are, on form.
Crazy alright. A good forward line will only get you so far, another Ulster title would keep most in Armagh happy.