Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on September 29, 2022, 10:54:50 AM
Quote from: trailer on September 29, 2022, 10:37:17 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 29, 2022, 10:14:55 AM
Quote from: trailer on September 28, 2022, 02:47:22 PM
It'll be tough no doubt. But we've seen tough times before and we will see them again. Try not to get to worked up about it.

Sometimes it's ok to just admit that you got it wrong and the mini budget was indeed a monumental f**k up. Don't be like Truss, don't double down on your mistake.

Got up this morning, kids still went to school. I went to work. Things much the same since last Thursday.

I don't feel as if I am living in some alternate reality of disaster capitalism, were a new world order is being formed and free thoughts are outlawed, that's for sure. Maybe that's what they want me to think!

One thing for sure, cutting taxes is good. Supporting families in an energy crisis is good. What are peoples alternative ideas? Not cut energy costs?
Raise taxes. Sure, but people are already put to the pin of their collars. If you raise Corporation tax what will companies do? Swallow it? Will they f**k! They'll forward it on to the consumer. And if they can't they'll make cuts. Job cuts. And that certainly won't help families.

Turn the news off. You'll feel better. Honestly.

Stop digging, you're convincing nobody but yourself. Just because you might not be affected, the majority of people will be and its a stressful time for people who are struggling to pay the bills. Telling people to not get worked up is just rubbing salt in the wounds.   

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 29, 2022, 11:02:56 AM
How in the utter f**k cutting the 45% tax for the top earners and unrestricting bankers bonuses in the times we're in is allowed I don't know.

All we're missing is let them eat cake.

How many people do you know paying the top rate (45%) of tax? You realise they will still pay 40% tax? Like it's not just as if they are scrapping tax altogether.
Restricting Banker's bonuses was just playing to the crowd after the financial crash. Those jobs will go to places were bonuses are unrestricted or they will just increase the base salaries to get around it. Bankers won't lose out that's for sure. Lots of those well paying City jobs left because of Brexit. This is a play to get them back.

trueblue1234

It'll be tough no doubt. But we've seen tough times before and we will see them again. Try not to get to worked up about it.

Sometimes it's ok to just admit that you got it wrong and the mini budget was indeed a monumental f**k up. Don't be like Truss, don't double down on your mistake.

Got up this morning, kids still went to school. I went to work. Things much the same since last Thursday.

I don't feel as if I am living in some alternate reality of disaster capitalism, were a new world order is being formed and free thoughts are outlawed, that's for sure. Maybe that's what they want me to think!

One thing for sure, cutting taxes is good. Supporting families in an energy crisis is good. What are peoples alternative ideas? Not cut energy costs?
Raise taxes. Sure, but people are already put to the pin of their collars. If you raise Corporation tax what will companies do? Swallow it? Will they f**k! They'll forward it on to the consumer. And if they can't they'll make cuts. Job cuts. And that certainly won't help families.

You decided to double down. I actually thought you had more about you. You've demonstrated that you don't really follow economics. If you think your right and the rest of the financial markets are wrong, then I'd suggest you pass all responsibility for your current finances to your kids or dog. They will fare better.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 29, 2022, 11:21:49 AM

You decided to double down. I actually thought you had more about you. You've demonstrated that you don't really follow economics. If you think your right and the rest of the financial markets are wrong, then I'd suggest you pass all responsibility for your current finances to your kids or dog. They will fare better.

I don't see it as being right or wrong. The economy was going to be in a very sticky position either way. Surely you can see that, people's energy bills are going to be astronomical this winter. Do you think that there shouldn't be supports in place for that?

What is the alternative is what I am asking?

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on September 29, 2022, 11:29:40 AM

I don't see it as being right or wrong. The economy was going to be in a very sticky position either way. Surely you can see that, people's energy bills are going to be astronomical this winter. Do you think that there shouldn't be supports in place for that?

Tax energy companies, continue to tax the rich. Don't go against Fairly basic financial market recommendations. We were going to be in a bad spot along with everyone else. We've now weakened the currency in addition to the global circumstances that are outside our control. And it was obvious what was goi g to happen. Economists predicted it ffs. You know this but don't want to back down on your initial comment ref the budget as it makes you look a bit clueless. It's a clusterf**k. I know it, you know it, the international markets know it, the IMF know it, the BOE know it. And you know what, Truss knows it too.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Not doing the tax cut for 150k+ earners would have been a start.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 29, 2022, 12:10:27 PM

This and the bankers bonuses. Regardless of how much or how little difference these 2 things are going to make- the optics of it is terrible at a time like this. Seen earlier just as an example that premier league footballers are going to be saving about 250k a year on tax?

Great to see help going to those who need it most...

trailer

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 29, 2022, 12:44:44 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 29, 2022, 12:10:27 PM

This and the bankers bonuses. Regardless of how much or how little difference these 2 things are going to make- the optics of it is terrible at a time like this. Seen earlier just as an example that premier league footballers are going to be saving about 250k a year on tax?

Great to see help going to those who need it most...

I agree the optics are terrible.

Gael80

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 29, 2022, 11:53:01 AM

Tax energy companies, continue to tax the rich. Don't go against Fairly basic financial market recommendations. We were going to be in a bad spot along with everyone else. We've now weakened the currency in addition to the global circumstances that are outside our control. And it was obvious what was goi g to happen. Economists predicted it ffs. You know this but don't want to back down on your initial comment ref the budget as it makes you look a bit clueless. It's a clusterf**k. I know it, you know it, the international markets know it, the IMF know it, the BOE know it. And you know what, Truss knows it too.

Agree with everything you say. I might be paranoid but my concern is Truss and the government know exactly what they're doing. Faced with pension's crashing, repossessions and savings being reduced overnight, the perfect storm is set to slash public spending by ten's of Billions putting the NHS at risk and the government having the space to sell it off. The public will be distracted with their own financial concerns to notice.

Tories always wanted Brexit and I fear many in the party want to finish off the NHS as well before they then happily hand it over to Labour to deal with the fall out.

Milltown Row2

To be fair the labour government have made a balls of the NHS during their watch also, unfortunately its not sustainable in its current state, if you want a good NHS then it has to be funded somewhere? Yes you guessed it more tax to pay for it, if you are willing, on a normal wage, to pay over 40% plus all the other taxes we pay then it might make a small dent in what's required.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

:-\Truss was a remainer too

Gael80

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 29, 2022, 01:13:49 PM
To be fair the labour government have made a balls of the NHS during their watch also, unfortunately its not sustainable in its current state, if you want a good NHS then it has to be funded somewhere? Yes you guessed it more tax to pay for it, if you are willing, on a normal wage, to pay over 40% plus all the other taxes we pay then it might make a small dent in what's required.

Yes and no, Labour did make mistakes but media allowed the narrative Labour made a balls of it. The reality is if Labour didn't win in 1997 the NHS wouldn't have survived another two or three years. The Tories had pretty much finished off the NHS but ran out of time. In my opinion they thought it couldn't survive but rightly or wrongly Blair and Labour found significant funding to save and improve it. The same situation is playing out but this time I fear the Tories won't allow it to be saved which is what we're seeing play out now.

Last Man

You can throw as much money as you like at it, may as well throw it in a hole. Until we get to a point where we start treating the patient and not the disease it will be as fcuked as ever. Even doctors are sick of it. In 10 years time there won't be enough clinicians to dole out the current protocols and pills.

Gael80

Quote from: Last Man on September 29, 2022, 01:26:27 PM
You can throw as much money as you like at it, may as well throw it in a hole. Until we get to a point where we start treating the patient and not the disease it will be as fcuked as ever. Even doctors are sick of it. In 10 years time there won't be enough clinicians to dole out the current protocols and pills.

I totally agree it isn't just about money, it's about goverance and managing it starting at primary care level. In my opinion we need to save it though and not just say the system is broken. A look at dentistry is a snapshot of life without the NHS.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Last Man on September 29, 2022, 01:26:27 PM

For sure people are at fault in blocking the system with self inflected health problems (as he eats a twix with a cuppa)

Unfortunately there are some illnesses that are not because of a bad diet/lifestyle and some of the fittest people I know have died, others were at deaths door because of it, those that were lucky are lucky because they got screened early and were fit enough to be operated on quickly, they were strong in their recovery also..

We still need something that can be affordable (for nothing) that will help the likes of the cancer screenings/treatments and medications to live longer

I've no answer to this btw , we can only look after ourselves health wise as best we can and hope everyone will do the same
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea