Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

It'll be tough no doubt. But we've seen tough times before and we will see them again. Try not to get to worked up about it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: toby47 on September 28, 2022, 02:34:46 PM
In 2 years - Diesel has went from £1.14 a litre to £1.80(ish)
Heating oil £0.25/litre to £1
Bag of coal from £5.50 to £17

The jump in the month figure of those 3 increases alone in my house is scary. Well over £300 a month extra on diesel alone for me & the wife. On top of everything else, the extra cost of electric, the shopping bill gone through the roof, the cost of a few pints/night out etc. Thankfully we are in a decent position  at the moment, however if a recession kicked in & god forbid, one of us lost our jobs, it would be panic. Average people are really starting to feel the squeeze, never mind people on low incomes & single parents, I hear conversations at work of people getting it really tough at the moment, it's happening.

Was walking around the town where I work earlier today, and prices for stuff even in BM Bargins was through the roof, but still a lot cheaper for some items you'd get in lets say a Tesco shop..

Fuel in some places at the minute for petrol anyways was sitting at 1.47 locally for me

Got 500 liters though the other day, £485!!, Id a few weeks left in the tank but thought I'd get some.. might last till xmas
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on September 28, 2022, 02:47:22 PM
It'll be tough no doubt. But we've seen tough times before and we will see them again. Try not to get to worked up about it.
Sure that's grand then

toby47

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 28, 2022, 02:53:52 PM
Quote from: toby47 on September 28, 2022, 02:34:46 PM
In 2 years - Diesel has went from £1.14 a litre to £1.80(ish)
Heating oil £0.25/litre to £1
Bag of coal from £5.50 to £17

The jump in the month figure of those 3 increases alone in my house is scary. Well over £300 a month extra on diesel alone for me & the wife. On top of everything else, the extra cost of electric, the shopping bill gone through the roof, the cost of a few pints/night out etc. Thankfully we are in a decent position  at the moment, however if a recession kicked in & god forbid, one of us lost our jobs, it would be panic. Average people are really starting to feel the squeeze, never mind people on low incomes & single parents, I hear conversations at work of people getting it really tough at the moment, it's happening.

Was walking around the town where I work earlier today, and prices for stuff even in BM Bargins was through the roof, but still a lot cheaper for some items you'd get in lets say a Tesco shop..

Fuel in some places at the minute for petrol anyways was sitting at 1.47 locally for me

Got 500 liters though the other day, £485!!, Id a few weeks left in the tank but thought I'd get some.. might last till xmas

Yeah en-route to work today I saw diesel as a GO station for 1.71 and the highest was £1.86 at a garage.

I also got 600L of heating the other day for £522, a very good rate through work.

seafoid

Many people don't have the margins to cope with inflation.

Twitter
Deardra 

@Barnabybear70

Dairy manor butter spread was 1.89 a tub a cple of months ago. It slowly crept up to 2.99 which it was until today when it jumped to 3.49. That's 50p. No way

@lidl_ni

that's too big a jump specially when the gold spread isn't really going up at all.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Last Man

Quote from: seafoid on September 28, 2022, 05:40:08 PM
Many people don't have the margins to cope with inflation.

Twitter
Deardra

@Barnabybear70

Dairy manor butter spread was 1.89 a tub a cple of months ago. It slowly crept up to 2.99 which it was until today when it jumped to 3.49. That's 50p. No way

@lidl_ni

that's too big a jump specially when the gold spread isn't really going up at all.
If you understood what that muck does to your insides you wouldn't begrudge the cost of real butter. Either that or eat dry bread. Not that I would normally advocate eating bread. It will keep starvation at bay until the springtime

trueblue1234

Sometimes it's ok to just admit that you got it wrong and the mini budget was indeed a monumental f**k up. Don't be like Truss, don't double down on your mistake.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

Wee Sammy was all for the mini  budget. So was Isabel Oakeshott. The DUP are the useful idiots thall i Sasana
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 29, 2022, 10:14:55 AM

Sometimes it's ok to just admit that you got it wrong and the mini budget was indeed a monumental f**k up. Don't be like Truss, don't double down on your mistake.

Got up this morning, kids still went to school. I went to work. Things much the same since last Thursday.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on September 29, 2022, 10:37:17 AM

Got up this morning, kids still went to school. I went to work. Things much the same since last Thursday.

If that's the level of your economic knowledge, I'd give this thread a swerve.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

I don't feel as if I am living in some alternate reality of disaster capitalism, were a new world order is being formed and free thoughts are outlawed, that's for sure. Maybe that's what they want me to think!

One thing for sure, cutting taxes is good. Supporting families in an energy crisis is good. What are peoples alternative ideas? Not cut energy costs?
Raise taxes. Sure, but people are already put to the pin of their collars. If you raise Corporation tax what will companies do? Swallow it? Will they f**k! They'll forward it on to the consumer. And if they can't they'll make cuts. Job cuts. And that certainly won't help families.

Turn the news off. You'll feel better. Honestly.

imtommygunn

You're probably right about the last part.

The middle part completely escapes the fact that the tax cuts were not particularly significant for struggling people and have had significantly detrimental implications.

yellowcard

The predictions were that Truss would oust Johnson as the worst UK prime minister in living memory and she is certainly living up to that bill which takes some doing. Listening to her being interviewed this morning and she is so wooden and robotic it is painful. She has no answer only to blame Putin! I think she is only a puppet however and was put forward as leader to become the sacrificial lamb for the ERG section of the party.

I'm convinced that this UK government will not last its full term and that the ERG were aware that their goose is almost cooked. The Tories are on the road to being obliterated at the next election and it will be delightful to watch it unfold as they are among some of the biggest vultures in society. History will not be kind to them and rightfully so but unfortunately thousands of ordinary people will be left picking up the can for their self interest and ineptitude.       

Armagh18

How in the utter f**k cutting the 45% tax for the top earners and unrestricting bankers bonuses in the times we're in is allowed I don't know.

All we're missing is let them eat cake.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: trailer on September 29, 2022, 10:54:50 AM

I don't feel as if I am living in some alternate reality of disaster capitalism, were a new world order is being formed and free thoughts are outlawed, that's for sure. Maybe that's what they want me to think!

One thing for sure, cutting taxes is good. Supporting families in an energy crisis is good. What are peoples alternative ideas? Not cut energy costs?
Raise taxes. Sure, but people are already put to the pin of their collars. If you raise Corporation tax what will companies do? Swallow it? Will they f**k! They'll forward it on to the consumer. And if they can't they'll make cuts. Job cuts. And that certainly won't help families.

Turn the news off. You'll feel better. Honestly.

Says the man on GAA board talking about the news on a weekly basis