Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Hadn't been keeping an eye on the cost of coal since last winter. Got some gunk today when I bought a bag.

Bound to be lignite in East Tyrone.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on September 17, 2022, 10:51:12 PM
Hadn't been keeping an eye on the cost of coal since last winter. Got some gunk today when I bought a bag.

Bound to be lignite in East Tyrone.
Brackaville may pull the finger out.

Wildweasel74

I was getting 3 bags of 20kg doubles for £19 In March, same now, £42 and that's the cheapest.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/news/europe/2022/0909/1321473-eu-energy-meeting/He also said that high energy prices are likely to be a factor for approximately two years.

"Europe is looking at other energy sources so that we don't become reliant on that Russian gas," Mr Ryan said.

"All the market analysis is that this is likely to be a difficult period for about two years.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jim Bob

What's the price of diesel/unleaded in the south now compared to the 6 counties.
I remember about 20 years ago heading to emyvale with my jerrycans to fill up as there was a saving ti be made.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Jim Bob on September 18, 2022, 08:54:24 AM
What's the price of diesel/unleaded in the south now compared to the 6 counties.
I remember about 20 years ago heading to emyvale with my jerrycans to fill up as there was a saving ti be made.
Diesel/Unleaded is 164.9/149.9 (£) at Mackle's. Having said that I wouldn't buy their stuff.

seafoid

Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kidder81

Interest rates up to 2.25%

LC

Pity anyone who bought their first home in the past 2 - 3 years with an LTV of +90%, they are in for a big shock when their current mortgage deal ends.

johnnycool

Quote from: Kidder81 on September 22, 2022, 12:09:05 PM

Struggling to understand how upping the interest rates will bring down inflation which is currently being driven by lack of supply and corporate greed rather than too much demand.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: johnnycool on September 22, 2022, 03:15:28 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on September 22, 2022, 12:09:05 PM

Struggling to understand how upping the interest rates will bring down inflation which is currently being driven by lack of supply and corporate greed rather than too much demand.

Interest rate increases increase the amount paid on borrowings.  For companies this means that they might not go through with new borrowings, thus reducing growth prospects or reduces their profits as they pay more on debt repayments.  Ultimately this will lead to job losses which results in less money being spent on the high street and shops.
And people who do have jobs are paying more on their mortgages so that's another driver for reducing spent.

So it is pretty nasty (in human terms) but ultimately it's the lever that the central banks use to create "demand destruction", with the result that prices fall and inflation gets back "under control".

Of course, had they printed less money over the last 10 days they could have avoided this seemingly being the only solution open to the Powers That Be.

imtommygunn

The bit that gets me - all this money is basically in the hands of the large corporations. The excess money in society is in the profits of large corporations. It's not in the hands of joe public.

quit yo jibbajabba

Cant remember the exact quote but last week i read theres a misconception that the UK is a rich nation, there are a few very rich people at the top while the standard of living for the majority is quite low