Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 29, 2022, 11:28:52 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 08:31:29 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 29, 2022, 07:45:08 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 29, 2022, 06:56:24 PM
Excuse the ignorance but I was always told anecdotally that the rent in Belfast was OK. Like Dublin is totally warping everything. It is spreading out to neighbouring counties too.

That's the one mad thing about all the talk. It's like rent is not part of it all. It's all household bills and let's not mention the largest bill there is.

It's not ok for the slum conditions . It's about 700 sterling per month in holylands for disease ridden dumps

Per student? 5 in a house £3,500?

Yeah per room. Absolute crooks and as I said , mostly our own

More fool paying it.. my daughter is in Belfast £240 a month... Wesley Avenue.. Holylands should be at the very most £150
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

angermanagement

Excuse the ignorance but I was always told anecdotally that the rent in Belfast was OK. Like Dublin is totally warping everything. It is spreading out to neighbouring counties too.

That's the one mad thing about all the talk. It's like rent is not part of it all. It's all household bills and let's not mention the largest bill there is.

It's not ok for the slum conditions . It's about 700 sterling per month in holylands for disease ridden dumps

There's no parent in their right mind would pay £700 a month for a room in the Holylands. A quick search on Property Pal, there is not one room for rent near £700 a month. BS

marty34

Quote from: angermanagement on July 30, 2022, 12:44:35 AM

There's no parent in their right mind would pay £700 a month for a room in the Holylands. A quick search on Property Pal, there is not one room for rent near £700 a month. BS

Ah now, Fear wouldn't be prone to waffling a bit.  8)

What price are all the big new student blocks beside the UU in the city centre in Belfast?

Seems to be a concerted move to get students away from the Holylands.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Sorry my bad, absolutely correct its for 3 bed house. I have never paid a penny , my wains always stood on their own feet.

The houses are a disgrace , away away above what you'd pay for a good mortgage . It's a trap that the young ones can't get out of as they can't set aside enough to get deposit for mortgage.

But the houses are not up to standard at all and holylands and further afield is awash with crooks and in some cases bully boy landlords

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2022, 12:30:29 AM

More fool paying it.. my daughter is in Belfast £240 a month... Wesley Avenue.. Holylands should be at the very most £150

Get her back to your gaff and tell her to set that aside for the future

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: marty34 on July 30, 2022, 08:41:24 AM

Ah now, Fear wouldn't be prone to waffling a bit.  8)

What price are all the big new student blocks beside the UU in the city centre in Belfast?

Seems to be a concerted move to get students away from the Holylands.

Sorry I was misinformed.

Uu is a concerted move to further diminish Magee

Milltown Row2

They want the experience.... I'm lucky I can afford it, be tighter this year though, the youngest is moving to Manchester or Liverpool... beans and toast for me never mind them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

I saw an ad for Truss on twitter saying that if you work hard she will support you.
I saw something else on twitter. Your current energy standard tariff £3239. 1 year fixed £6087.

This is called cognitive dissonance. How are people on the breadline supposed to cope ?

The North is like Scotland. No representation in Government. Stormont isn't even open.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 30, 2022, 09:18:43 AM
They want the experience.... I'm lucky I can afford it, be tighter this year though, the youngest is moving to Manchester or Liverpool... beans and toast for me never mind them

Ach i know there is no talking to them , but you have to just go with the flow. What's your experience of properties outside the usual student haunts. Are they better standard?

seafoid

Cost of living is a cross community issue in the Occupied Territories. Inflation does not benefit anyone.
Loyalists are ultra vulnerable. They always get the thin end of the wedge.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 30, 2022, 09:50:37 AM

Ach i know there is no talking to them , but you have to just go with the flow. What's your experience of properties outside the usual student haunts. Are they better standard?
There have always been kips in the student areas around the lower Lisburn Road/Tates Ave, off Botanic, upper Ormeau and even in Stranmillis. However, Stranmillis, Lisburn Road and upper Ormeau never underwent the same ghettoisation as the Holylands/Botanic. They are proper filthy dumps and this was mainly driven by unregulated conversion of houses into HMOs in an area not setup for it. If you go from 3 or 4 in a house with one rubbish bin in the back yard to 6 or 7 across 3 flats requiring 3 separate bins it's no wonder the place is stinking. That's not taking into account the increase in noise, parking issues as students all have their own cars now, anti-social behaviour etc.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Yes TB.

It's the unregulated conversation into HMOs that gripes me , I was off the mark there on the cost but I know there is massive abuse of young ones rights going on .

When I was there away back in the day we lived in a big converted " big house" on the Malone Road , it's knocked down now. The guy who from Lurgan turned 8 rooms into separate units for rent and one shared kitchen, that was 30 years ago but .it has got awful minging up around some of those areas now .

marty34

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 30, 2022, 10:19:52 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 30, 2022, 09:50:37 AM

There have always been kips in the student areas around the lower Lisburn Road/Tates Ave, off Botanic, upper Ormeau and even in Stranmillis. However, Stranmillis, Lisburn Road and upper Ormeau never underwent the same ghettoisation as the Holylands/Botanic. They are proper filthy dumps and this was mainly driven by unregulated conversion of houses into HMOs in an area not setup for it. If you go from 3 or 4 in a house with one rubbish bin in the back yard to 6 or 7 across 3 flats requiring 3 separate bins it's no wonder the place is stinking. That's not taking into account the increase in noise, parking issues as students all have their own cars now, anti-social behaviour etc.

Problem is students don't really want to go anywhere else but the Holylands area.

It's a rite of passage so to speak for their first couple of years. Away from home, beer and banter. Beside their mates etc.

#Holylandsornowhere

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/which-has-a-higher-standard-of-living-northern-ireland-or-the-republic-1.4540629
The Bergin-McGuinness study found that poverty rates were considerably higher in Northern Ireland. Based on a poverty line of below 60 per cent of average household income, 15.9 per cent of individuals in the Republic were found to be at risk of relative poverty compared to 23.8 per cent in Northern Ireland.

Inflation will push that number above 1 in 4.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2022, 12:13:11 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/which-has-a-higher-standard-of-living-northern-ireland-or-the-republic-1.4540629
The Bergin-McGuinness study found that poverty rates were considerably higher in Northern Ireland. Based on a poverty line of below 60 per cent of average household income, 15.9 per cent of individuals in the Republic were found to be at risk of relative poverty compared to 23.8 per cent in Northern Ireland.

Inflation will push that number above 1 in 4.

No surprise. We have fallen well behind Republic now. I wouldn't work in North again if I can avoid it