Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 29, 2022, 05:20:56 PM
Some people don't want to go without though, they want the nights out, clothes, boozes etc. hard choices for all families now but unfortunately some people see energy costs down the priority list and want it all handed to them

This is the attitude my younger self would have taken.

But here's where I've got to. I don't want to part of a society in which those who take on vocational careers like police, firefighters, teaches, carers, and medical professionals, cannot make ends meet.

That's the world now. It's a shitshow.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on July 29, 2022, 05:39:51 PM
Some people don't want to go without though, they want the nights out, clothes, boozes etc. hard choices for all families now but unfortunately some people see energy costs down the priority list and want it all handed to them

But here's where I've got to. I don't want to part of a society in which those who take on vocational careers like police, firefighters, teaches, carers, and medical professionals, cannot make ends meet.

The point remains valid - people give themselves a better chance of making ends meet if they adjust their lifestyle accordingly. Also, apart from carers all of those occupations have a wide range of salaries. My sympathy lies with a carer over a doctor.

Eire90

i doubt it think we live in era where politicians and energy barons laugh in peoples faces and then say what you going to about it

Eire90

i agree holiday culture is a a problem people going on holidays just for social media clout

thebigfella

Quote from: Eire90 on July 29, 2022, 05:56:52 PM
i agree holiday culture is a a problem people going on holidays just for social media clout

Who goes on holidays for social media clout, ffs.

Captain Scarlet

There has always and will always be people with funds to go off on more than one holiday, drive a nice car and so on. The problem now is that many people who would have what is considered a decent job are living month to month.

There is going to be an awful shitshow in Dublin in 20 years when those who could not get a mortgage retire and can't pay the mad rents. But, it's what we signed up for by voting in FF and FG all those years.

There are 300 or so apartments beside me that were build to rent and are 2100 for a one-bed. And so, when other apartments come up now, the small time landlords look at those prices and ramp it all up.

The REITs, the energy companies and so on need to be hit with a windfall tax.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 29, 2022, 06:35:23 PM
There has always and will always be people with funds to go off on more than one holiday, drive a nice car and so on. The problem now is that many people who would have what is considered a decent job are living month to month.

There is going to be an awful shitshow in Dublin in 20 years when those who could not get a mortgage retire and can't pay the mad rents. But, it's what we signed up for by voting in FF and FG all those years.

There are 300 or so apartments beside me that were build to rent and are 2100 for a one-bed. And so, when other apartments come up now, the small time landlords look at those prices and ramp it all up.

The economic system will probably have changed in 20 years. Houses will be affordable.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 29, 2022, 06:35:23 PM

You do realise it's the exact same up North. Dup/SF shitshow

Captain Scarlet

Excuse the ignorance but I was always told anecdotally that the rent in Belfast was OK. Like Dublin is totally warping everything. It is spreading out to neighbouring counties too.

That's the one mad thing about all the talk. It's like rent is not part of it all. It's all household bills and let's not mention the largest bill there is.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

What will make people angry enough to force change ? The system doesn't work for the vast majority of people now.
For me a great example is the Irish Independent. The company is loyal to the system that destroyed it. Google and FB run the ads now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

nrico2006

Quote from: marty34 on July 29, 2022, 05:35:38 PM
Quote from: Taylor on July 29, 2022, 01:13:08 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 29, 2022, 12:59:01 PM
Lads, it's all about me these days.

The big jeeps with the personalised plates and the big gated houses in the country!

Two or three holidays a year etc.

How times have changed.   Have people changed?

Unfortunately I am not part of that crew however what is wrong with it?

If people have made good for themselves and are able to afford all of the above then I dont see the issue.

Is it typical Irish begrudgery

Not really.

Just my opinion that there's less sense of community these days - mostly about me.

Who else should it be about? We all want to do as well as we can for ourselves/family - if not for 'me', who you meant to do it for?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 29, 2022, 06:56:24 PM
Excuse the ignorance but I was always told anecdotally that the rent in Belfast was OK. Like Dublin is totally warping everything. It is spreading out to neighbouring counties too.

That's the one mad thing about all the talk. It's like rent is not part of it all. It's all household bills and let's not mention the largest bill there is.

It's not ok for the slum conditions . It's about 700 sterling per month in holylands for disease ridden dumps

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 29, 2022, 07:45:08 PM

It's not ok for the slum conditions . It's about 700 sterling per month in holylands for disease ridden dumps

Per student? 5 in a house £3,500?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2022, 08:31:29 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 29, 2022, 07:45:08 PM

Per student? 5 in a house £3,500?

Yeah per room. Absolute crooks and as I said , mostly our own

thewobbler

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 29, 2022, 05:48:41 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 29, 2022, 05:39:51 PM

The point remains valid - people give themselves a better chance of making ends meet if they adjust their lifestyle accordingly. Also, apart from carers all of those occupations have a wide range of salaries. My sympathy lies with a carer over a doctor.

I would disagree.

It's only natural that when a generation sees something as a luxury, the next generation will see it as a treat and the next generation see it as normal. That's capitalism in action.

In 2022 Ireland/UK, when you've got 2 x breadwinners in a household, contributing their bit to society, behaving as the "middle class" should, it is both trite and condescending to suggest they should be lucky to have a roof over their head. This isn't the 1920s. Out forefathers didn't work hard, evolve, adapt and continually force us all through education so we could gather around a stove and eat potato soup.

Luxuries aren't a birth right. But if working hard doesn't allow some freedom, then why bother?

——

The single biggest problem with the western world isnt the energy crisis that will be solved eventually. It's that shelter is seen as a commodity, and not a human need.

I have long said there's an easy fix to this. 100% capital gains tax on second (and beyond) properties, after allowing for inflation. You want to make a truckload of money? Go out and earn it. Just don't do it in such a way that it fucks everyone else up.