Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 29, 2022, 02:09:16 PM
I watched a good bit of one of those one year at mary peters - bonkers. I was watching them when half the ones thought they sounded great and didn't have any strategy then just went out and ran then about half way through the night they were busted and had about 12 hours to go lol.

I did the math but cant remember it tbh. I wonder was he like 10min miles for the 24hrs or is that just crazy? Did i also see the world record bein broke recently where some boy averaged 7.5/8 min miles for the 24hr. If ive made all that up apologies 😃

imtommygunn

The strategy I witnessed was 8 minute miles and get time in the bank. Time in the bank doesn't matter when you're in the medical tent 12ish hours in it turns out  ;D

You need a run walk strategy etc. Some boy broke the record recently I think at about the pace you say. I think it was 7:45 or something but trying to replicate what those kind of people do is not the most sensible haha.

quit yo jibbajabba

That is some running. Machine

The strategy you describe maybe not the best but better than my current one of "starting next week" 😐😉😂

andoireabu

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 29, 2022, 01:16:10 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on September 29, 2022, 01:04:02 PM
Cheers lads, think I'll stick with the pacer then and see how it goes.  Mostly stuck to the plan with the odd missed run now and again.  Confident enough so I'll see how it goes.

Are you a Swatragh man from memory AnDoireabu? Not trying to out you or nothing lol, i see a local man Niall McGuigan big into them 24hr races. Crazy stuff that but fair play to him

I'd be from local enough to Swatragh aye and know of him alright.  Mental stuff doing those endurance runs.  I know a lad who is into the ultra marathons, 50 mile races and I think he did a 100 miles in a day race before.  Different level of mental toughness in that.  A fella in work was telling me about one he was on where you had to run 4 miles each hour every hour for 24 hours.  You could set your own pace as long as you didn't miss the time on it and if you did it in under the hour you took your break to the start of the next hour.  Must have been a sore day.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

andoireabu

Quote from: laoislad on September 29, 2022, 03:07:29 PM
Cheers lads, think I'll stick with the pacer then and see how it goes.  Mostly stuck to the plan with the odd missed run now and again.  Confident enough so I'll see how it goes.
Is it Dublin you doing? Pacers generally very good and hold an even pace. I wouldn't get too worked up in staying right beside them though. The first half or even the first 15 miles in Dublin is mainly uphill, keep the pacers in sight but don't be afraid to ease off on the pace on the uphills, the pacers usually keep an even pace and don't drop off for the hills.

From the Walkinstown roundabout at 15miles to the end there are only a couple of short hills so you would have plenty of time to catch back up to them if they are a bit ahead. The last 6 km is nearly all downhill or very flat so if you have anything left then is the time to really go for it.

Not Dublin this year, haven't been able to get to it since the backlog with covid.  Have done it twice before though and always found the worst bit was up past the Children's Hospital.  Slow gradual uphill that seemed to go on for ages against the breeze.

My thinking for sticking with the pacers is to not have to do the mental arithmetic of my average time and do I need to speed up or keep it constant.  Even I have a watch I'd be constantly doing it anyway.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: andoireabu on September 29, 2022, 04:19:29 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 29, 2022, 01:16:10 PM

Are you a Swatragh man from memory AnDoireabu? Not trying to out you or nothing lol, i see a local man Niall McGuigan big into them 24hr races. Crazy stuff that but fair play to him

I'd be from local enough to Swatragh aye and know of him alright.  Mental stuff doing those endurance runs.  I know a lad who is into the ultra marathons, 50 mile races and I think he did a 100 miles in a day race before.  Different level of mental toughness in that.  A fella in work was telling me about one he was on where you had to run 4 miles each hour every hour for 24 hours.  You could set your own pace as long as you didn't miss the time on it and if you did it in under the hour you took your break to the start of the next hour.  Must have been a sore day.

Respect to them all.
That maybe the Goggins challenge i think? Knew a boy did that last year, was pumpin out 8min miles throughout it also.
Tired just thinkin about it. Im away to bed 😃

imtommygunn

Last man standing. I think it's castle ward that is run in. The national trust property at strangford anyway which if memory serves me correctly is castle ward.

CK_Redhand

19.42 today at parkrun. About 90 seconds off my time when I thought I had plateaued. Thanks to all on here for the advice.

laoislad

Quote from: CK_Redhand on October 01, 2022, 10:53:31 AM
19.42 today at parkrun. About 90 seconds off my time when I thought I had plateaued. Thanks to all on here for the advice.
Good man fair play.
Sub 19 next!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on October 01, 2022, 10:53:31 AM

Well done... that's serious running, the 90 seconds is huge over that distance
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Ewan MacKenna be lookin a drugs test off you CK 😉😃

imtommygunn

Limiting factor in running is usually fitness not speed!! Well done.

laoislad

Last really long run done today before Dublin. Headed up to Longwood in Meath for their 3/4 Marathon.
Was terrible conditions with wind and rain but it was great. Brilliant organisation and lovely route on country back roads and canal paths.
Only 3 weeks left now!

laoislad

The brother ran Amsterdam today, only started running in lockdown. Got on super. Said it was very flat.
I'm must really try one of those easy flat Dutch Marathons instead of running hills in Dublin every year 😂

andoireabu

Quote from: laoislad on October 16, 2022, 06:54:17 PM
The brother ran Amsterdam today, only started running in lockdown. Got on super. Said it was very flat.
I'm must really try one of those easy flat Dutch Marathons instead of running hills in Dublin every year 😂

That's where I ran yesterday and it is a nice course, bit windy and a few dead spots for support but overall an enjoyable run in a nice city.  Finishing in the Olympic Stadium was a nice way to end it as well.  Glad it is over though.  Spoke to a lad at the bag collection who has Dublin now in a couple of weeks, he was having thoughts of offloading the ticket after yesterday!