Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

O'Hanlon's beat Cross IIs by 2 points. Big shock there.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

charlie stubbs

Intermediate Championship Semi Final
Sunday 30 August, Athletic Grounds
Wolfe Tones 1-09 St.Michaels, Newtownhamilton 1-11
Wolfe Tones hopes of winning the intermediate championship came to an end on Sunday evening at the Athletic Grounds, where they lost narrowly to St.Michael's Newtownhamilton who will now go on to face Keady in the decider on Sunday 4 October. 
The winners where quickly out of the blocks and opened the scoring in the first minute when their number.13 was able to kick a fine score on the run from the right wing.  The Tones response was immediate, after a searching ball from wing-forward Declan Lavery, Gerard Kavanagh was able to gain possession and lay the ball off to Chris McAlinden, who found the target from 25 yards with his right boot. 
The Tones moved ahead for the 1st time after 8 minutes after a goal chance went begging.  Gerard Kavanagh broke the ball down to himself and instinctively swung on the ball, and the effort which appeared goalbound was deflected wide by the St.Michael's full back.  From the resulting "45", Conor Coleman stepped up and calmly put the ball over the bar. 
The Tones extended their lead after 11 minutes after a sublime point from Declan Lavery.  Chris McAlinden's pass found Brendan Coleman and his layoff found Declan around 30 yards out on the left hand touchline and he was able to raise a white flag. 
St.Michael's responded in the 12th minute with when their midfielder was fouled 30 yards from the Tones goal.  The no.13 converted this to leave the minimum between the sides. 
Declan Lavery then claimed 2 points in as many minutes for the Tones.  The first came after Brendan Coleman collected a pin-point Connor McCarron pass and he split the posts from 35 yards.  The second of the brace came after Chris McAlinden found Declan on the right wing and he cut inside to leave 3 points between the sides midway between the first half. 
After good pressure from Michael Carson on the St.Michael's centre half forward, forced him to kick wide, the Tones where then hit by a sucker punch.  After 22 minutes the St.Michael's midfield combined to cut through the Tones defence and their no.12 blasted to the Tones net leaving 'keeper Gerard O'Neill with no chance. 
Two minutes later, the Tones responded with their own 3 pointer.  After a great surging run from Niall Geoghegan who got through a mountain of work allday, Connor Coleman was pulled down and after consultation with his umpires, the referee awarded the penalty.  Chris McAlinden stepped up and his penalty sneaked past the keeper who was able to get hands on the ball, but not prevent it from finding the right hand corner. 
In stoppage time at the end of he first half, St.Michael's where able to reduce the arrears to 1 point when their no. 13 converted two frees, leaving all to play for going into the second half with St.Michael's having the aid of the breeze in the 2nd half. 

Half Time Wolfe Tones 1-05 St.Michael 1-04
The Tones got the opening score of the second half after 32 minutes.  Ryan McQuillan outstanding throughout, got out in front of his man and made a trademark surge forward.  He found Finnian Moriarty who placed a splendid pass infront of John Toal who found the on rushing Niall Geoghegan who pointed from 21 yards. 
After 36 minutes, there was once again only a point separating the sides.  The St.Michael's no.13 showing a touch of class to sell a dummy and kick a point with his left foot from 21 yards. 
After 39 minutes, corner forward Jonathan McCarron picked up possession in his own 21yard line and after linking well with Declan Lavery and Gerard Kavanagh, Michael Carson found Brendan Coleman who drilled the ball over from 30 yards for a fine worked team score. 
Michael Carson's good work continued in the 41st minute when he got himself on the scoresheet.  Ryan McQuillan found John Toal and Michael surged through the St.Michael's defence and with the possibility of a goal, took the sensible option and fisted the ball over the bar.  The Tones where now 3 ahead and looked to have the momentum to win the game.  However, they would not register another point for 17 minutes which proved to be a key factor in St.Michael's progession to the final. 
With 43 minutes on the clock, a fine crossfield diagonal pass found the St.Michael's no.13 who pointed from 20 yards.  A minute later, there was sight of the Tones goal for the St.Michael's full forward, however, he was well stood up by Connor McCarron and had to settle for a point. 
The game had a real championship feel at this stage, with both sides showing great guts and determination.  After 54 minutes the sides where level for the first time since the 22 minute.  After a "45" dropped short, the St.Michael's full forward drove the ball over the bar having won the breaking ball around the Tones 14 yard line. 
This seemed to really galvinise St.Michael's and they scored points in the 56th and 57th minute through their no.15 and full forward respectively to put them ahead for the first time since the opening minute. 
Declan Lavery then saw a sniff of a goal chance and from 25 yards went for goal and forced the St.Michael's keeper into a good save.  The Tones where then able to recycle possession and Stephen Lavery found Declan Lavery who took a point to leave a point between the sides with a minute to play. 
During the two minutes of added time, the Tones where unable to manufacture any chance of the equalising point and in added ontime the St.Michael's No.15 scored the insurance point to send them through to the final to face Keady. 
Full time Wolfe Tones 1-09 St.Michael's Newtownhamilton
Wolfe Tones: Gerard O'Neill, Niall Geoghegan(0-01), Ryan McQuillan, Chris McCarron, Michael Carson(0-01), Connor McCarron, Emmet Haughian, Finnian Moriarty, Connor Coleman(0-01,"45"), Declan Lavery(0-04), Chris McAlinden1-01),, James Lavery, Brendan Coleman(0-01), Gerard Kavanagh, Jonathan McCarron Subs: John Toal for James Lavery, Stephen Lavery for Jonathan McCarron

disappointing to loose a game where we where either level or ahead for 55 minutes off.  have concentrate on surviving div2 now. 

fitzroyalty

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 30, 2009, 06:44:09 PM
Quote from: torres on August 30, 2009, 06:39:10 PM
tir na og failed to show up for their game v granemore , ref was on the pitch .
thats no game for granemore since they played dromintee in the championship , since that game granemore have lost their corner back [ discolated shoulder ] and full back [ broken leg ]
not looking good for us with the game v st pats next week  :( .

That's a poor show from Tir na nÓg though our match with Cross didn't go ahead either. Don't like this habit of not playing matches towards the end of the season.
How come, was it not this time last year cross were whinging cos no one would play them

winsamsoon

lads had the pleasure of the great R Quigey as ref on sunday in Cruppen and h managed to surpass even his own low standards. This man is nothing short of a clown. We had a man sent off in the first half. Now the lad was blown up for over carrying and he called the ref a dick(which he shouldn'thave done) he was then given a yellow card and asked by quigley to repeat what he said so our lad repated it and quigley said at least you are man enough to repeat it and gave him a staright red our lad ill now miss the senior championship because of this. Quigley then said that he had heard we (clans) had misbehaved against cullyhanna a few weeks back and that he would fix that. He aso pointed out our number 7 and said he gave me abuse at an u-21 game. Now several of the cruppen lads witnessed this also. How can this man getaway with this. We went cruppen clubhouse after the game ad the cruppen faithful couldn't believe what Quigley had done and they were asking us what we had done on him. I was later informed that Eire Og have a complaint in about this guy also and i can tell yu there will be another forwarded. What is the story with Quiigley and Cross??????????
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

pintsofguinness

Get away with what winsam? redcarding a player that give him abuse, twice?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 31, 2009, 07:27:34 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 30, 2009, 06:44:09 PM
Quote from: torres on August 30, 2009, 06:39:10 PM
tir na og failed to show up for their game v granemore , ref was on the pitch .
thats no game for granemore since they played dromintee in the championship , since that game granemore have lost their corner back [ discolated shoulder ] and full back [ broken leg ]
not looking good for us with the game v st pats next week  :( .

That's a poor show from Tir na nÓg though our match with Cross didn't go ahead either. Don't like this habit of not playing matches towards the end of the season.
How come, was it not this time last year cross were whinging cos no one would play them

Not really sure if it was our fault, their fault or just mutual agreement. Possibly it may have had something to do with the Cross II's championship match the night before. Wonder if our game with Clans will be played as well. Possibly not. Think Cross played 17 of their 18 games though.

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 31, 2009, 07:34:00 PM
lads had the pleasure of the great R Quigey as ref on sunday in Cruppen and h managed to surpass even his own low standards. This man is nothing short of a clown. We had a man sent off in the first half. Now the lad was blown up for over carrying and he called the ref a dick(which he shouldn'thave done) he was then given a yellow card and asked by quigley to repeat what he said so our lad repated it and quigley said at least you are man enough to repeat it and gave him a staright red our lad ill now miss the senior championship because of this. Quigley then said that he had heard we (clans) had misbehaved against cullyhanna a few weeks back and that he would fix that. He aso pointed out our number 7 and said he gave me abuse at an u-21 game. Now several of the cruppen lads witnessed this also. How can this man getaway with this. We went cruppen clubhouse after the game ad the cruppen faithful couldn't believe what Quigley had done and they were asking us what we had done on him. I was later informed that Eire Og have a complaint in about this guy also and i can tell yu there will be another forwarded. What is the story with Quiigley and Cross??????????

Think Cross refuse to play underage matches referreed by him. At least I think that was the case last year. Not sure exactly what the row was over.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

winsamsoon

maybe didn't make it clear pints he asked the player the second time to repeat what he said as the two of them were conversing. So the second time was not aimed at the ref he was simply answering the refs question. You should also try and comment on all of the incidents cited rather that selecting snippets . The how does he get away this was on al incidents. 

pintsofguinness

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 31, 2009, 07:52:11 PM
maybe didn't make it clear pints he asked the player the second time to repeat what he said as the two of them were conversing. So the second time was not aimed at the ref he was simply answering the refs question. You should also try and comment on all of the incidents cited rather that selecting snippets . The how does he get away this was on al incidents.
I dont see what other incidents there are, he said yous caused trouble against cullyhanna and pointed out a player who give him abuse before? So what?
And why or how did he ask the player to repeat himself? Tell me the whole conversation between the two of them.
Looks to me like your player give him abuse when he blew him up, red card would be harsh in my eyes, but then no ref should be expected to take abuse. 

fitzroyalty

The man isn't fit to referee IMO. Regardless of the obvious chip on his shoulder he has with Clans, he is inconsistant, slow to react and seemingly unable to count.

qub la la la

Quigley was ridiculous. at half time cruppen were winning 5 4. but quigley said clans were winning. even one of the clans selectors said to quigley cruppen are winning, to which quigley replied "Im the ref, Clans are winning". What a clown. The clans man was targeted by quigley and he blew him up for over-carrying just to get a reaction, which he got. There is no way in heaven or earth that he had over-carried as he was only after soloing the ball. Quigley is an absolute farce. He shouldnt be allowed to referee anything.

This was also the second time this year that a referee has got the score wrong in Carrickcruppen, its crazy the stuff they get away with. Who monitors these men and allows them to destroy our games?

winsamsoon

So you think it is acceptable for a ref to bring things up during a totally different game pints. Surely then this only highlights the fact that he has came into the game with a hatred for my club. He more or less said it.

On the incident the lad was blown up for over carrying , after which he called the ref a dick. The ref then called him and booked him no further words were exchanged until the ref asked him to repeat what he had said so our lad repeated it. Quigley then produced a straight red for apparently the same offence that had only warranted a yellow moments earlier.

I also forgot about the score issue but i would have said if the game would have been close he would have then said that Cruppen won by 1. So we counted it as 5-4 to cruppen anyway.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: winsamsoon on August 31, 2009, 09:04:10 PM
So you think it is acceptable for a ref to bring things up during a totally different game pints. Surely then this only highlights the fact that he has came into the game with a hatred for my club. He more or less said it.

On the incident the lad was blown up for over carrying , after which he called the ref a dick. The ref then called him and booked him no further words were exchanged until the ref asked him to repeat what he had said so our lad repeated it. Quigley then produced a straight red for apparently the same offence that had only warranted a yellow moments earlier.

I also forgot about the score issue but i would have said if the game would have been close he would have then said that Cruppen won by 1. So we counted it as 5-4 to cruppen anyway.
I find that hard to believe to tbh, he went from calling the ref a dick to being as quiet as a mouse? 

As for the ref bringing things up from other games, I dont think he should but then I don't really see the big deal.  You say he hates your club but he had yous ahead at half time when you say you werent? Yes, real hatred there.

Rufus T Firefly

Wasn't at the game, so I can't comment on the specific incidents referred to.

What I will say is that I hate to see fellow Armagh Gaels come in for personal abuse on this public forum. It is well out of order.

As for others encouraging the ref to jack it in, or stating that he is not fit for the job, a word to the wise - we are not exactly coming down with referees in the County! And with discussions like this, that is not likely to change anyway soon! 

Off The Fence

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 31, 2009, 09:26:08 PM
Wasn't at the game, so I can't comment on the specific incidents referred to.

What I will say is that I hate to see fellow Armagh Gaels come in for personal abuse on this public forum. It is well out of order.

As for others encouraging the ref to jack it in, or stating that he is not fit for the job, a word to the wise - we are not exactly coming down with referees in the County! And with discussions like this, that is not likely to change anyway soon! 

So nobody is allowed to comment on an absolute p***k who thinks he is god gift.  The list on Quigley is as long as your and I'd nearly rather see a game not played than refereed by this idiot.

IVEDECIDED

Yes Rufus but thats the point referees know this and they use it to thier advantage, they think they are untouchable. ive stated before that referees inArmagh have too much status and power they are not held accountable for their actions which is why they can do whatever they like. the 2 teams should decide the outcome of a match not some t**t in the middle with a hot poker up his ass because he has 60 mins of authority every week.