Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Was glad to see Evra miss the penalty, IMO he's a hateful smug wee bastard.

Ballack did foul him, but Evra could have got up straight away as there was nothing wrong with him. It's up to the ref to stop play if it is a serious injury. The more times a goal is scored after incidents like this the better as it will mean the teams have to play to the whistle.

David McKeown

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 09, 2009, 08:43:41 PM
Was glad to see Evra miss the penalty, IMO he's a hateful smug wee b**tard.

Ballack did foul him, but Evra could have got up straight away as there was nothing wrong with him. It's up to the ref to stop play if it is a serious injury. The more times a goal is scored after incidents like this the better as it will mean the teams have to play to the whistle.

I'm all for referees playing on in these situations but as noted the problem was that Foy was not consistent. When Nani got injured he tried to play on even though at least one Chelsea player was signalling to team mates to put the ball out. As a result about 10 seconds later Foy stops the game. Later in half Ballack and Evra tangle ballack goes down. Utd advance to edge of box Foy blows whistle immediately despite no obvious injury. Two minutes after this Evra and Ballack again tangle. Evra goes down holding face (a situation when advantage should only be played if the ref is certain no injury has occurred) yet Foy does nothing allowing Chelsea to score. There were three fairly similar incidents which Foy handled in different ways. If one referee can't even be consistant with himself then there will be lots of instances when teams will feel agrieved.

What should be done is that the referee should only stop the game in the event of a head injury. If teams want to stop for other injuries it should be up to them
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Over the Bar

Did Cech get MOTM?   Only for him United could have got the bus home at half time.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 09, 2009, 11:46:19 PM
Did Cech get MOTM?   Only for him United could have got the bus home at half time.
Carvalho got the nod but i think cech is nearly back to how he was before hunt kicked his head in. VDS should watch out for that clean sheet record
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 09, 2009, 11:49:08 PM
Carvalho got the nod but i think cech is nearly back to how he was before hunt kicked his head in. VDS should watch out for that clean sheet record

Awh right so one decent game and Cech is 'nearly' back to his best, great logic there.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 10, 2009, 12:03:25 AM

Awh right so one decent game and Cech is 'nearly' back to his best, great logic there.
Do u get some pleasure in trying to correct everything i say? And watch the 3-0 game and compare it ye grumpy git
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Hound

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 10, 2009, 12:03:25 AM

He's still afraid of getting hit on the head. He was very poor for the goal, letting the ball go under him, afraid that Terry might give him a belt.

Interesting for United that Gibson was on the bench while Anderson was left in the stands.

Goats Do Shave

I always fear the worst when a left footer takes a pen...

norabeag

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on August 10, 2009, 08:04:15 AM
Not much hope for OWC then!

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on August 10, 2009, 08:04:15 AM

I'll show you how it's done some day!
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

full back

Promising enough start even though the 2 missed penalties were dire, especially Evra's

Rooney looks in as good a shape as I have seen him in a while pre-season, lets hope he stays injury free.

Foster looks dodgy as hell. Granted he may be a decent keeper, but he looks very jittery & every time the ball comes back to him he makes me feel nervous. Good enough shot stopper & confident under the high ball but any back passes & anything could happen :-\

Doogie Browser

I have said it before Utd have problems in the keeper department, Ferguson needs experience now but i don't think he will buy anyone as it would undermine Fosters confidence even more.  There are no good English goalkeepers anymore, they are becoming like the Jocks in the 70's & 80's!

slievegullion

From BBC:

Ferguson fumes at ref after loss

Start the season as you mean to go on, eh?

qub la la la

Quote from: full back on August 10, 2009, 10:49:35 AM
Promising enough start even though the 2 missed penalties were dire, especially Evra's

Rooney looks in as good a shape as I have seen him in a while pre-season, lets hope he stays injury free.

Foster looks dodgy as hell. Granted he may be a decent keeper, but he looks very jittery & every time the ball comes back to him he makes me feel nervous. Good enough shot stopper & confident under the high ball but any back passes & anything could happen :-\

Would put you in mind if a fabien barthez - with hair.

bingobus

Quote from: slievegullion on August 10, 2009, 11:24:39 AM
From BBC:

Ferguson fumes at ref after loss

Start the season as you mean to go on, eh?

He's cracking already  ;)