The Fighting Irish The Séan MacBride (Principles) Legacy

Started by Seosamh, February 12, 2010, 10:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seosamh

The Séan MacBride (Principles)
Legacy

"I once asked Séan Mac Bride if Hume over the years had ever turned to him for advice and he said he had not. When I asked him why he thought that was the case, Séan replied, emphatically and succinctly: "Because he knows I'm implacably opposed to Partition"
It may not be one of the most unusual book review that I have ever read, but I must admit, it is probably the longest. (Fifteen Pages) For this I suppose we have to thank the wonderful world of the Blogesphere, which allows Mr. Everyman, Everywoman, just to be politically correct, to publish their opinions without the space restrictions of the traditional print media.
The book in question, The Mac Bride Principles: Irish – America Fights Back, is by former Labor MP Kevin McNamara, who stood down in the 2005 election, after 36 years as a MP. After his retirement, McNamara graduated with a PhD from Liverpool University's Institute of Irish Studies in 2007, the thesis for his doctorate being the MacBride Principles.
The tone of the review is pretty much apparent in this initial paragraph of the press release by the reviewer, Fr. Séan McManus.
"CAPITOL HILL. February 2, 2010 - Fr. Séan McManus, the president of the Capitol Hill – based Irish National Caucus – which initiated and launched the Mac Bride Principles – has released his review of the new book by former British Labor MP, Kevin Mc Namara: The Mac Bride Principles: Irish – America Fights Back. (Liverpool University Press. 2009)." Fr. McManus's review is contained in the following letter he wrote to Mr. Mc Namara. While praising aspects of the book, Fr. Mc Manus enumerates factual errors, lack of proper perspective and a surprising persistent pattern of denigration against himself."
Fr. McManus also has some sharp criticisms for Patrick Doherty, whom he labels, 'The Gossip – in - Chief'. Last December, both men were honored in New York City Hall, at an event hosted by the Speaker of the City Council, Christine Quinn, for their work on the MacBride Principles Campaign.
http://seosamhsonar.blogspot.com/2009/12/irish-national-caucus-35-years-and.html

More ...
http://seosamhsonar.blogspot.com/2010/02/fighting-irish.html

Eoghan Mag

Séan McBride was related to my Granny but I can't remember if he was a cousin or what. There is a picture of Séan McBride to be seen in the main foyer of Portiuncula Hospital, in Ballinasloe, Co. Galway. He was one of the patrons of the hospital.

Just thought I'd share those useless facts with you.  ;)