Ryder Cup 2018

Started by Boycey, September 26, 2018, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: screenexile on October 02, 2018, 11:41:01 AM
Quote from: phpearse on October 02, 2018, 10:20:14 AM
Spectator hit with Brooks Koepka tee shot looses her eye. Pros very rarely duff their tee shots but it is a bit mad standing so close to the tee box when lads are driving golf balls at 190mph or whatever speed they leave the club face. Not long before there are exclusion zone around tee boxes and spectators around greens and fairways will be issued with hard hats.

She wasn't standing beside the tee box though she was beside the green on a driveable par 4. Horrific to think she's lost her sight I'm sure Koepka is in bad enough form about it too.

It's always a risk when you're watching golf but unfortunately these kinds of things can happen.

It was very clearly called too.... not saying in this case it happened but it always surprises me when people look up when fore is called on a golf course.

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on October 02, 2018, 01:04:06 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 01, 2018, 04:26:48 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 01, 2018, 04:15:27 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 01, 2018, 04:09:48 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 01, 2018, 03:41:40 PM
It is the most over hyped event going, Sky threw their lot in with it and have created a marketing monster around it.

The fans are cringeworthy at best.

I think it is much better than watch the british and irish lions. No comparison at all.

It has the same kind of feel as the Lions, slick marketing and adertisers all over it. Great craic for those actually playing in it but pretty meaningless for the rest.

There were 270,000 people attended the event and I'm not sure about the viewing figures but I'm pretty sure they were healthy as well so it seems a few more than just those playing are interested in it!!

Would say it's a good oul jolly with your mates and is good tv viewing but how many would actually give a good fcuk who won it ?

It's basically like going to the darts.

David McKeown

I don't know. The Ryder Cup is one of my favourite sporting events and I genuinely get annoyed if the USA win. We sent my dad to Medinah for his 70th he loves it that much and I discharged myself from hospital to go to the K Club. It wouldn't mean as much as my Club or county winning something but it would be pretty equivalent for me to my favourite premiership or NFL team winning. I think it's maybe because I'd much rather support a team than an individual and I love golf and this gives me the opportunity to do that.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

gawa316

Quote from: David McKeown on October 02, 2018, 03:29:28 PM
I don't know. The Ryder Cup is one of my favourite sporting events and I genuinely get annoyed if the USA win. We sent my dad to Medinah for his 70th he loves it that much and I discharged myself from hospital to go to the K Club. It wouldn't mean as much as my Club or county winning something but it would be pretty equivalent for me to my favourite premiership or NFL team winning. I think it's maybe because I'd much rather support a team than an individual and I love golf and this gives me the opportunity to do that.

Pretty much agree with all that, plus living in the States give me added incentive to support Europe, as some of the in-laws are typical of those yanks that attend the golf!

Puckoon

Agree with the 2 posts above. It's fantastic entertainment for me and I fully embrace the Euro collective. Wouldn't touch my GAA fandom, but means more to me than Arsenal for sure and only just beaten by any of the Irish lads winning individually in the golf on the big stage.

Strange Ryder Cup - Europe really threw the hammer down on Friday afternoon and never let up. Was disappointed that Rory didn't beat JT in singles, but Poulter - what a lad for the Ryder Cup! Mickelson will regret his last showing at the Ryder cup, but as an article yesterday stated - if this is to be his final Ryder Cup and he went out playing like pure shite - in true Phil form he did it with a smile on his face and some grace about it all.

The Reed/Spieth thing is very interesting, although not all that surprising given that Reed and Mrs Reed appear to be completely on a different level when it comes to basic decencies. DJ and Keopke definitely more surprising and interesting here, time will tell us if its related to Ms Gretzky, or just a blow out due to emotion or something else. Rumour has it they were at it on the flight out there also. Brutal news about the lady with the eye injury. For her and for Keopke. That could unnerve him something serious. 2019 will tell us a lot.

Fair Play to Conor Moore too - he is genuinely funny and doing a great job. I don't like his Sergio and I think he will need to find some new material before the Poulter and Bubba ones get old. A refreshing sense of humor, particularly compared to that Kathleen lad who is about as funny as a box in the balls.

And for the love of all that is holy - someone tell Johnny "bucket of balls" Miller to just stay home.

heganboy

See one of Patrick Reed's Ryder cup team mates just threw him under the bus...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

gawa316

Quote from: heganboy on October 03, 2018, 01:24:02 AM

Who was it?

brokencrossbar1

I never knew much about the dislike for Reed but having read about him and his wife there it's hard to like the man. Fair enough he is doing his own thing but to isolate your parents who were there for the first 21 yers of your life and helped him become the man he is in terms of his success is very hard to fathom. The wife seems to be a right bitch

trailer

Quote from: thebigfella on October 02, 2018, 02:03:38 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 02, 2018, 11:41:01 AM
Quote from: phpearse on October 02, 2018, 10:20:14 AM
Spectator hit with Brooks Koepka tee shot looses her eye. Pros very rarely duff their tee shots but it is a bit mad standing so close to the tee box when lads are driving golf balls at 190mph or whatever speed they leave the club face. Not long before there are exclusion zone around tee boxes and spectators around greens and fairways will be issued with hard hats.

She wasn't standing beside the tee box though she was beside the green on a driveable par 4. Horrific to think she's lost her sight I'm sure Koepka is in bad enough form about it too.

It's always a risk when you're watching golf but unfortunately these kinds of things can happen.

It was very clearly called too.... not saying in this case it happened but it always surprises me when people look up when fore is called on a golf course.

There's not a lot of golf going on. Like there's only 4 matches on the course. You'd think she would've paid a bit more attention.

screenexile

Quote from: gawa316 on October 03, 2018, 06:40:49 AM

Who was it?

Unnamed source!!

trailer

Is there an article somewhere?

Puckoon

Obviously you don't agree with the author?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Puckoon on October 11, 2018, 01:23:20 PM
Obviously you don't agree with the author?

Don't agree with Phil. Straight hitting has to be rewarded, that's the name of the game.