Ryder Cup 2018

Started by Boycey, September 26, 2018, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Everybody loves the actual golf aspect of it.

It's the bollocks from Sky and the likes of Poulter or Monty who try to play it up as mattering/meaning as much as a Major or WGC or even some of the prestige events on either tour that drives me up the wall. No surprise from Monty when he describes himself as a major winner for his exploits in the seniors tour.

quit yo jibbajabba

Just saw the odds. Usa 10/11 with pp. Is that not good value? Far from an expert but the quality of player they have v the europeans this time, even given home soil, should it not be a formality or am i missing something?

thewobbler

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on September 26, 2018, 11:55:07 PM
Just saw the odds. Usa 10/11 with pp. Is that not good value? Far from an expert but the quality of player they have v the europeans this time, even given home soil, should it not be a formality or am i missing something?

It's matchplay golf. Everyone reacts differently to this form of golf, and as everyone involved is in the world's top 50 strokeplay golfers, they're all capable of mullering anyone else who is slightly off his game.

Hound

Supposedly its a course that negates the use of the driver, which is America's main advantage. A lot of water on the course, and usually across fairways where a long drive would land.

Although I do agree the odds on the yanks seem very generous

quit yo jibbajabba

thanks men, food for thought. still think that's where a bit of value lies tho I hate the thought of having to root for them all weekend over the sake of a few pound

screenexile

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2018, 07:23:55 AM
Supposedly its a course that negates the use of the driver, which is America's main advantage. A lot of water on the course, and usually across fairways where a long drive would land.

A lot of the yanks not in great form either though. Spieth/Mickelson/Watson/Reed even Koepka & DeChambeau had poor weeks last week so it's far from a formality.

Along with that I think the course is being set up totally to negate all the American's advantages so I don't think it's as one sided as many would think and the betting is probably about right!

trailer

Quote from: screenexile on September 27, 2018, 10:06:21 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2018, 07:23:55 AM

A lot of the yanks not in great form either though. Spieth/Mickelson/Watson/Reed even Koepka & DeChambeau had poor weeks last week so it's far from a formality.

Along with that I think the course is being set up totally to negate all the American's advantages so I don't think it's as one sided as many would think and the betting is probably about right!

It's 18 hole match play. Also when it is in the states the US usually set the course up with pins in the middle of the greens and make it a putting competition. That won't happen in Paris. USA still should have enough to get it done, but you never know.

Orior

Personally, and I hope I'm wrong, though I rarely am, I think the USA will win easily.

Europe 10 USA 18
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bord na Mona man

Of course its overblown, but the format of it is superb.
The last day drama, when there are so many plates spinning and you're trying to work out where the points will land is gripping.
He's safe, he should hold on, might get a half there, he needs to pull it out of the bag, he needs a miracle, still need a point from somewhere. 20 minutes later it's all on its head.

And while an attachment to a Europe team isn't a natural affinity, as soon as you hear the hordes of fat assed, loud mouthed, oafs bellowing "U-S-A, U-S-A" you're on board!

Boycey

Ex captains match LIVE today  8)

ziggy90

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 27, 2018, 01:06:40 PM
Of course its overblown, but the format of it is superb.
The last day drama, when there are so many plates spinning and you're trying to work out where the points will land is gripping.
He's safe, he should hold on, might get a half there, he needs to pull it out of the bag, he needs a miracle, still need a point from somewhere. 20 minutes later it's all on its head.

And while an attachment to a Europe team isn't a natural affinity, as soon as you hear the hordes of fat assed, loud mouthed, oafs bellowing "U-S-A, U-S-A" you're on board!
I wonder if Donald will make it over?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Hound

Woods and Reed looking a likely partnership. Going to be hard looking at that pair high fiving  :-\

sid waddell

I feel very European today, so much so that if you cut me, I would likely bleed blue blood with yellow stars in it. Medically that would be a sure sign of serious illness, but I do have a fever - Ryder Cup fever.

As I waited for the traffic to pass at a busy predestrian crossing in Galway this morning, I had to stop for a moment, compose myself, and take a fresh air swing, imagining I was the late, great Christy O'Connor Junior hitting that famous 2 iron at the Belfry in '89, complete with Peter Alliss's "huh huh huh hoooo" playing in my mind.

As I finished that swing, I saw a car flying a European flag from the window. The driver honked his horn and I saluted back. He knew, I  knew. We all know.

The Ryder Cup was special then and it's special now. It's part of what we are as Europeans. Pride in our place, pride in our continent.

On the hopes of the 12 men, our Great Dane captain and assorted vice-captains, do the hopes of the 12 stars rest.

Forget the doubting Thomases, European golf will be Bjorn Again this weekend.

From Iceland to Istanbul, from Finland to Faro, the whole of the continent is behind our boys.

Come on EU boys in blue.

#BelieveInBlue

seafoid

The Ryder Cup has more credibility these days than gaelic football has
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU