The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Republicans created this entire mess so I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.

J70

You'd swear these people think that making up a charge like this is akin to a child lying to his parents about some minor misdeed, with no consideration of consequences beyond the moment. They seem to have no appreciation of the problems women have historically faced when it comes to dealing with sexual assault and abuse, in all its forms.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 04:37:23 PM
You'd swear these people think that making up a charge like this is akin to a child lying to his parents about some minor misdeed, with no consideration of consequences beyond the moment. They seem to have no appreciation of the problems women have historically faced when it comes to dealing with sexual assault and abuse, in all its forms.

If allegations of this vintage, with no corrobarating witnesses and timed to specifically derail the vote on Kavanaughcame out against a Democrat, I would be equally as skeptical

If every politician, judge and public official is held to account for their actions as drunken teenagers I'm sure 90% will turfed our of office

heganboy

The issue from yesterday's discussion was why in the world would a successful woman destroy her life to become a footnote in history unless she absolutely and firmly believe that BKs actions that far back were heinous.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

heganboy

Quote from: whitey on September 24, 2018, 04:49:22 PM

If allegations of this vintage, with no corrobarating witnesses and timed to specifically derail the vote on Kavanaughcame out against a Democrat, I would be equally as skeptical

If every politician, judge and public official is held to account for their actions as drunken teenagers I'm sure 90% will turfed our of office

And are you saying that is a bad thing? Maybe we shouldn't be doing that as drunken teenagers...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

J70

I've no issue with skepticism. You said she was lying.

On the second point, I agree.

But where do you draw the line? Perhaps young people need some examples to show that actions can have serious repercussions in later life? Quite a few states in the US insist on trying teenagers of varying ages as adults.  Their lives are often, for all intents and purposes, over, depending on what they did (we'll not get into the money and racial aspects of the justice system).

Lets say that (as might happen these days) someone had a video of Kavanaugh exposing himself (as per the newer allegation). Would that merit his withdrawal, 30 years later?

whitey

Quote from: heganboy on September 24, 2018, 04:58:36 PM

And are you saying that is a bad thing? Maybe we shouldn't be doing that as drunken teenagers...

What was accepted or ignored 30 years ago is no longer accepted or ignored today. The amount of groping that used to go on at teenage discos years ago would be front page news today.

If we go back and hold everyone to account for all uncorroborated and unproven allegations against  them I think you'll be looking at a very long list of resignations

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 05:00:34 PM

But where do you draw the line? Perhaps young people need some examples to show that actions can have serious repercussions in later life? Quite a few states in the US insist on trying teenagers of varying ages as adults.  Their lives are often, for all intents and purposes, over, depending on what they did (we'll not get into the money and racial aspects of the justice system).

Lets say that (as might happen these days) someone had a video of Kavanaugh exposing himself (as per the newer allegation). Would that merit his withdrawal, 30 years later?

The timing of the accusations combined with the Democratic antics at the hearings lead me to believe this is indeed a dirty trick by the Dmocrats. They tried everything else to derail Kavanaugh and it didn't work, so they roll of allegations from 35 years ago that can neither be proven or disproven.

RedHand88

Timing is everything folks. Timing is everything...

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 24, 2018, 05:16:59 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 05:00:34 PM

The timing of the accusations combined with the Democratic antics at the hearings lead me to believe this is indeed a dirty trick by the Dmocrats. They tried everything else to derail Kavanaugh and it didn't work, so they roll of allegations from 35 years ago that can neither be proven or disproven.

Its the job of the senate to grill an appointee to a very influential lifetime post. Would you prefer the ludicrous softball approach to Kavanaugh of the GOP, posing him tough questions on coaching his daughter's basketball team? Senators are notorious for grandstanding. What else is new?

As for the timing, again, Ford wanted anonymity. The fact that she is now in hiding demonstrates why. Perhaps Feinstein could have forewarned her party and Grassley, but what difference does it make, in reality, what the timing of the release was? Were Grassley and Trump going to pull Kavanaugh back in July or August on the basis of an anonymous accuser? The Senate still hasn't voted and has the chance to look into the matter before doing so. They could spend the next two weeks questioning all the various people (including Judge) and still have a four week cushion until the mid-term, during which Trump will take this story off the front pages with three or more new lows of presidential conduct. The Rosenstein-Mueller circus is warming up as we speak...

whitey

Pardon my skepticism, but after seeing what the Clinton campaign pulled with Fusion GPS and the phony dossier, I am not willing to give Feinstein the benefit of the doubt.   Its a fvckin scam of epic proportions that they are trying to pull off here

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 24, 2018, 05:57:08 PM
Pardon my skepticism, but after seeing what the Clinton campaign pulled with Fusion GPS and the phony dossier, I am not willing to give Feinstein the benefit of the doubt.   Its a fvckin scam of epic proportions that they are trying to pull off here

How is the "scam" supposed to play out?

Is Ford a paid actress ( the dick exposee too?).

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 06:07:17 PM

Between both alleged incidents theres (something like) 10 named witnesses and NOT ONE WITNESS can corroborate any of the accusers claims. In fact, some (if not all) "witnesses" claims the gatherings in question didnt even take place.

But again, you believe what you want because it suits your agenda, and I believe what I want because it suits my agenda.

Edit: And Im not looking for all 10 to come forward. If ONE came forward that would be good enough for me

J70

Quote from: whitey on September 24, 2018, 06:16:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 24, 2018, 06:07:17 PM

Between both alleged incidents theres (something like) 10 named witnesses and NOT ONE WITNESS can corroborate any of the accusers claims. In fact, some (if not all) "witnesses" claims the gatherings in question didnt even take place.

But again, you believe what you want because it suits your agenda, and I believe what I want because it suits my agenda.

Edit: And Im not looking for all 10 to come forward. If ONE came forward that would be good enough for me

She alleges she, Kavanaugh and Judge in the room and a few more in the house. If the others in the house were oblivious to what was going on (and why wouldn't they be), especially with drinking teenagers involved, why would they have ANY recollection of what happened back then? How many parties do YOU remember specifically being at and when, especially when you were hammered?

Sorry, it's just strains credulity, to me, that a woman like Ford would make up and publicize something like this all those years later. It doesn't make any sense.

Christ, one of Kavanaugh's conservative mates, then and now, tried to pin the blame on a different lad from their class, naming him and all!

And I've no agenda here beyond questioning why anyone would make up something like this and go public under these circumstances. Kavanaugh will clearly be seated regardless, so it's not like I'm here desperately hoping otherwise.

whitey

Haha...."the others in the house" are saying no such party even took place, not that they were there and didn't see anything

It strains credulity to be that one presidential campaign would pay for and then leak a fake dossier to the FBI that was (at least in part) used to wiretap their opponents campaign........but it happened!