Tyrone v Kerry - All-Ireland Semi-Final, Sunday 11th August 3.30pm

Started by RedHand88, August 04, 2019, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Unfortunately this Tyrone team / squad are mentally weak on the really big days in Croke Park.  Seeing them up close, that is not a great Kerry team, not yet anyway, they are still young but Tyrone's experience really should have seen them prevail through this.  I see people meanting fitness, S&C, Maurice Deegan as reasons for the defeat but no, this was once again an implosion by Tyrone.  After a very comfortable first half, they went completely into their shell 2nd half and looked like they played with fear.  A fear of going ahead and actually winning the match against Kerry. 

Some bizarre calls on the line as well yesterday I felt and I am a Mickey Harte fan.  Peter Harte was getting a lot of abuse and wasn't getting into the game.  Just move him into the full forward line and then you have a normal defender against a normal forward situation.  I thought that was a pretty simple / obvious move.  Peter Harte didn't touch the ball for the first 19-20 minutes of the game as I remember his first touch and thinking that's the first time I've seen him.  Our best player and we cant get him into the match.  You have to do  / change something to get him on the ball and to start affecting the play.

Matty Donnelly & Frank Burns were going really well first half but faded out of it second half.  We still lack forwards with real scoring firepower.  McShane done well yesterday but bar him, we didn't have another cutting edge forward.  McAliskey on his day could possibly bring that to Tyrone but he doesn't seem to be trusted to start by the management.  Still need another few though, the likes of Kerry have O'Shea, Clifford, Geaney and O'Brien who can cause damage.  All Dublins forwards and their subs can tear defences to shreds.  Tyrone lack the firepower up front to really put manners on the top 2 or 3 teams.  We probably depending on the likes of Canavan and a couple from the under 20's to come through to give us some more options up front.  You wont win an all Ireland without 4-5 top forwards tbh. 

screenexile

Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2019, 10:08:29 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 12, 2019, 07:55:56 AM
the ref ....... consistently failed to protect Peter Harte from getting dogs abuse
Conor Cox's ribs and every part of Enda Smith will have wry smiles at that

Waaa waaa waaa poor Tyrone the mean Kerry lads wouldn't allow them to play football!!

You couldn't make it up! Peter Harte has been around long enough at this stage to be able to handle that, it's not new and certainly Tyrone have been more than good at doing it to other teams in years gone by. I would have thought bringing him out to half back would have made a difference but obviously the management team didn't feel that way.

Mickey Harte should be stepping down to be fair, All Irelands are what matter to Tyrone and they haven't won one or looked close to it in over 10 years. He won't though he wants that job until he dies it'll take an almighty coup from the County Board and it'll be messy as hell.

Can't wait :)

The Bearded One

I don't think anyone from Derry can say a thing about County Boards and messes!
It is what it is. Presumably.

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on August 12, 2019, 10:38:02 AM
the ref ....... consistently failed to protect Peter Harte from getting dogs abuse

Waaa waaa waaa poor Tyrone the mean Kerry lads wouldn't allow them to play football!!

You couldn't make it up! Peter Harte has been around long enough at this stage to be able to handle that, it's not new and certainly Tyrone have been more than good at doing it to other teams in years gone by. I would have thought bringing him out to half back would have made a difference but obviously the management team didn't feel that way.

Mickey Harte should be stepping down to be fair, All Irelands are what matter to Tyrone and they haven't won one or looked close to it in over 10 years. He won't though he wants that job until he dies it'll take an almighty coup from the County Board and it'll be messy as hell.

Can't wait :)

It's about all there is to look forward to in Derry. Sad for such a proud football county.
That was never a square ball!!

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 11, 2019, 09:28:13 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 06, 2019, 11:54:36 AM
Quote from: Angelo on August 06, 2019, 11:44:23 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 06, 2019, 10:38:23 AM
Quote from: Angelo on August 06, 2019, 09:20:31 AM
I'd probably be looking along the lines of Hampsey picking up Sean O'Shea, McNamee on Clifford, HP on Geaney and Meyler on O'Brien.

That has early yellow/black card all over it. Let's hope for McNamee sake he has one of those games this weekend. If not Clifford will destroy him.

McNamee has arguably been the best defender in the country to this point. He has seen off the likes of McBrearty, Cox and Hurley well at this point. Clifford is a tough assignment for any defender but McMenamin dealt with very well for Donegal at Croke Park. Who would you suggest?

Rory Brennan probably has the best profile, doesn't tend to get involved in the niggle McNamee does either concentrating on the task at hand. McNamee superior physicality probably best served marking Geaney who could overpower Brennan.

Just my opinion on the match ups. We'll see what Harte does.

That said, McNamee best defender in country to this point? Absolutely no.

Cleaned by Tommy Walsh.

That's the end of that.

Odd as it was Hampsey who picked him up.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

thejuice

Speaking as a Meath man with experience of this, don't go changing management for the sake of change. Wait till you have a clear successor and a plan to take things to the next level before getting rid of a manager who has consistently kept you in the top tier for the last decade. If MH can keep you in the top four for another year or two while you get someone with a proven track record of success lined you'd be better off than going with some familiar name who's not won anything of note.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Angelo

The same Enda Smith who should have got the line in the first minute?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Christmas Lights

Quote from: thejuice on August 12, 2019, 11:09:26 AM
Speaking as a Meath man with experience of this, don't go changing management for the sake of change. Wait till you have a clear successor and a plan to take things to the next level before getting rid of a manager who has consistently kept you in the top tier for the last decade. If MH can keep you in the top four for another year or two while you get someone with a proven track record of success lined you'd be better off than going with some familiar name who's not won anything of note.

Id agree with this.  Malachi O'Rourke would be a good fit for Tyrone I feel

johnnycool

Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 12, 2019, 11:22:35 AM

Id agree with this.  Malachi O'Rourke would be a good fit for Tyrone I feel

How would that ever work out?

Unless he's related to Micky.

t_mac

There is no top 4 there is Dublin that's it, all Ulster, Munster and Connacht teams can hope for is a provincial title at best.  Is Rory Gallagher free, him and Ricey could do a great job?

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Shamrock Shore

QuoteIs Rory Gallagher free

Oh sweet Jesus - I would rather see the late great guitarist in line as a replacement instead of the living version.
But then, not being from Tyrone, can I have a view.

I do think Mickey's time is well up at this stage and, while I do see juice's point that change for change sake is not a good enough reason, I do think there must be a dream team out of there of former AI winners that could improve things.

t_mac

Quote from: thejuice on August 12, 2019, 12:13:24 PM
Top 4 = semifinalists obviously.

Not with the qualifier system, Tyrone had a handy run and a handy group - Donegal hammered them in the Ulster Semi.

tonto1888

Quote from: t_mac on August 12, 2019, 12:20:18 PM
Quote from: thejuice on August 12, 2019, 12:13:24 PM
Top 4 = semifinalists obviously.

Not with the qualifier system, Tyrone had a handy run and a handy group - Donegal hammered them in the Ulster Semi.

Which team who didn't get to the semi finals are better

Rossfan

1 Dublin (or Kerry)

2 Kerry (or Dublin)
3 Mayowestros (won NFL)
4 Tyrone
5 Donegal ( 3 pts in QF Group)
6 Ros.
7 to 10 in some order Cavan,  Cork, Meath, Galway
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM