Tyrone v Kerry - All-Ireland Semi-Final, Sunday 11th August 3.30pm

Started by RedHand88, August 04, 2019, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

I think Tyrone will lose on Sunday. For me Kerry are the 2nd best team in Ireland and will probably push the Dubs hard in the final. Kerry are undefeated this year in all but the league final and a bit of a dead rubber v Mayo in the league. Theres a lot of "beal bocht" around this Kerry team by the usual Kerry mafia sources, they've been banging that drum all summer and the bad-mouthing of their full back line is just smoke and mirrors. Allied to the talent they have round the park they'll also have the fawning presence of Maurice Deegan who decidedly tips the balance in their favour. They also have 4 of the best forwards in Ireland in Geaney, Clifford, O'Shea and O'Brien, we have one defender who's among the best at what he does, this is a complete mismatch.

It's all set up for "the greatest rivals in football" to decide the fate of Dublin's drive for five.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Wildweasel74

Kerry likely have better players but no ounce of a game plan to provide cover for their full bck line. If they found a player good enough to play sweeper they be hard to beat. Not sure about Keane. If Jack O'Connor was managing this team player I have Kerry strong favourites,  he's not how ever so it's about 50:50

Redhand Santa

For all the talk of Kerry forwards I think a combination of Harte Donnelly mcshane and Mcaliskey could cause serious problems at the other end. The standout performance from Kerry was v mayo in Killarney but there's been plenty of other days over the last few years they've looked far from impressive.

It's now or never for this current Tyrone team, hopefully they're ready to deliver.

moysider

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 10, 2019, 12:00:25 AM
For all the talk of Kerry forwards I think a combination of Harte Donnelly mcshane and Mcaliskey could cause serious problems at the other end. The standout performance from Kerry was v mayo in Killarney but there's been plenty of other days over the last few years they've looked far from impressive.

It's now or never for this current Tyrone team, hopefully they're ready to deliver.

It is not now or never for Tyrone.
A last 4 slot is not something to be taken for granted.
The Killarney performance V Mayo should be taken with a pinch of salt after what happen since.
The real losers in the super8s were Donegal ( currently
better team than Tyrone) who landed in the 'wrong' group after winning Ulster.

Tyrone and Dublin ended up in a group that they could not not qualify from. Donegal would have strolled that too.
Instead they got a gimmie at home ( reward for winning Ulster) v Meath, burst their arses trying to beat Kerry in Croker, knowing that Mayo would use cannon in Castlebar if they had to.

Jayop

A last 4 slot is great and consistently getting there is great.

But consistently getting beat by kerry mayo and Dublin ain't so hot. And that's been happening since 2009.

moysider

Quote from: Jayop on August 10, 2019, 12:45:29 AM

But consistently getting beat by kerry mayo and Dublin ain't so hot. And that's been happening since 2009.

It's happening to others too!

Jayop

Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2019, 01:05:44 AM
Quote from: Jayop on August 10, 2019, 12:45:29 AM

It's happening to others too!

And? Should we not be aiming to be better than "others"?

Who's the others? Mayo? They've done much more the last ten years than us.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2019, 12:13:59 AM

The Killarney performance V Mayo should be taken with a pinch of salt after what happen since.

Tyrone and Dublin ended up in a group that they could not not qualify from. Donegal would have strolled that too.
Instead they got a gimmie at home ( reward for winning Ulster) v Meath, burst their arses trying to beat Kerry in Croker, knowing that Mayo would use cannon in Castlebar if they had to.

In terms of this particular team pushing on under Harte to the next level it is getting close to the now or never stage. The likes of McNamee, Donnelly and Harte who are all key players are late 20s and it's probably cavanaghs last year. The team have been building for about 5 years and in my opinion have did really well but now need to push on.

The team is also back boned by the u21 winners from 2015 and they're all now hitting their peak. New players could come in over the next few years and push on but it'll be a different team to this one.

Angelo

Quote from: moysider on August 10, 2019, 12:13:59 AM

The injuries put paid for Donegal. Gallagher, McGee X2 and McGrath were all effectively crocked for the Super 8s and the squad didn't really cope with that when it mattered.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

On the Kerry game, I think Kerry will rightly go on as favourites. They are unbeaten and topped the tougher group in the Super 8s. In saying that I would be disappointed if we did not beat them, when you look at this Tyrone side and the age profile it should be in its prime now. I think Tyrone badly, badly need a win over a side like Kerry in this game. Kerry on the other hand are younger and less experienced than Tyrone and we have to hone in on that and force mistakes and young lads heads to drop.

I'm not fully convinced on this Tyrone side. We need a few other guys to start stepping up to the plate now. I'm not optimistic but I'm hoping we deliver a big performance tomorrow and dictate the terms of engagement.

Deegan is another big worry for me. He has always been very favourable to Kerry anytime I have seen him referee them including the 2015 semi with us where we got an awful doing from him.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

nrico2006

Tyrone are cut open too often this year and will concede a big score and lose by a few.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Whishtup

If Deegan does act the ballix and we win, it will be good practise for the final.  I still maintain that niaivity cost us the final last year. When 5-6 points up Col Cav was remonstrating with the ref about a (Dublin trademark) 3rd man crossing type obstruction that prevented him from making a tackle in the lead up to a point.  I think the Dubs got another point when he was still out of position.  Shortly after, you had 3 of our lads disputing a Dublin mark when the Dubs were up the field scoring a goal.  This is the part of this team's psyche that will lose them the big games if it isn't addressed.  Need to stay focussed for every second no matter what the other team or the ref do.

imtommygunn

Dublin being a much better team lost you that final not naivety. No shame in it.

RedHand88

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2019, 12:55:19 PM
Dublin being a much better team lost you that final not naivety. No shame in it.

15 wides cost Tyrone dearly. Didn't Dublin have none in the second half or something ridiculous?

inroundthesquare

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 10, 2019, 01:08:21 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2019, 12:55:19 PM

15 wides cost Tyrone dearly. Didn't Dublin have none in the second half or something ridiculous?

In dontfoul stats - Kickouts and Scoring Efficiency were the main difference in last years final.
Tyrone actually turned over Dublin 23 times, whereas Dublin only turned over us 13 times.

Dublin won 29 of their 31 kickouts. Think both were lost around the 15 minute mark when Tyrone were on top.
Tyrone only won 17 of their 24.

Dublin scored 2-17 from 32 shots.
Tyrone 1-14 from 30 shots.