Tyrone v Kerry - All-Ireland Semi-Final, Sunday 11th August 3.30pm

Started by RedHand88, August 04, 2019, 09:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 06, 2019, 05:55:01 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 06, 2019, 05:12:01 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 06, 2019, 01:43:59 PM
Jaysus has anyone seen Hartes latest comments on Sky/Rte? Couldn't like them Tyrones huers if ye reared them.

He's absolutely 100% right, apart from the bit about the black card being because of a TV rant.
So everyone shouldn't have the right to watch our national sport on our national broadcaster without having to be shafted by skys prices? Hmm.. Harte being a tool again me thinks.

When has everyone had the right to watch the games? Even before sky there would have been people couldn't afford a tele. What did they do?

Angelo

RTE had one live football game before the provincial finals came around. There were a few very good live matches missed out on in - Cavan-Monaghan, Cavan-Armagh x2, Down-Armagh, Derry-Tyrone, Roscommon-Mayo were all missing to these people in hospitals and nursing homes. In that time RTE must have shown 9 or 10 live hurling games so Brolly has some neck to complain about these people missing out on it due to Sky.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

delgany

Only paid up members of the GAA  are entitled to moan about the SKY deal. They are the only people who can force a change but it is unlikely to happen.
Free to air matches are ring fenced in broadcasting legislation and therefore  the GAA are free to sell their rights to whoever.
Sky coverage had raised the analysis and it is slowly been recognised at RTE.

BennyHarp

Last Saturday was a bit of an anomaly and happens maybe once a year but Sky mostly shows games that would never have been shown on RTE. RTE would never give over 10 hours of coverage to GAA over a weekend to show the games they currently show and those that Sky show. They have also shown their distain for football with their early season schedule of hurling match after hurling match too. Inequality about those who get to see games is nothing new, In the past some people could afford TVs and others couldn't, some people could afford to go to games and others couldn't, I know of many fans in Tyrone who just couldn't afford to bring their family to 5 games in a row - thank god Sky was there to show those matches (because RTE was nowhere to be seen) or those kids would have missed them altogether. I suspect Joe envisaged himself on Sky Sports and then getting a gig on soccer AM and being a major star on the platform but alas he was overlooked.
That was never a square ball!!

WhoDat

Quote from: Angelo on August 06, 2019, 07:50:31 PM
Brolly is a poisonous individual who seems to be going through a midlife crisis. I think it's disgraceful that he is let get away with some of the stuff he has come out with.

The agenda he was driving against McGeeney a few years ago was disgraceful and Jamie Clarke had to come out and refute a lot of the stuff he was saying as it was completely without foundation despite all the unnamed players he claimed to have spoken to.

brolly seems to just use his platform on rte to settle scores and carry out personal agendas against particular individuals he doesn't like. his targeting and singling out of individuals is actually pretty shameful and the fact that he gets away with it time and again and often gets a little wink for doing it speaks to how ugly the discourse around gaelic football is at the moment. it's pure poison and it is being primarly fuelled by joe brolly. the man holds way too much influence for a man who never seems to actually know what he's talking about when it comes to the ins and outs of the game and who doesn't seem to truly believe in anything given how swiftly he changes his mind on everything. he rarely gets called out on any of it either. i think colm parkinson is the only gaa commentator who i've heard actually challenge anything brolly comes out with.

on mickey harte's comments....they're being wilfully misunderstood to my mind. i dont particularly like the man, but he clearly means that all the people up in arms about people in hospitals and nursing homes not being able to watch the games dont care about them at any other time. what's controversial about that? i would agree with him. people in hospitals, etc are being used as convenient accessories to bolster the anti-sky agenda. now i'm not pro sky and believe all games should be available for everyone to watch from home for free, but i also believe that tomas o'se and friends dont care that much about people sitting in nursing homes and hospitals either.

Dire Ear

Pubs in Belfast centre to watch this please?  Cheers 🍻

thewobbler

I would normally say the Garrick, but with Man Red kicking off their season at the same time, you'd probably be better heading west.

Dire Ear

Quote from: thewobbler on August 06, 2019, 09:49:06 PM
I would normally say the Garrick, but with Man Red kicking off their season at the same time, you'd probably be better heading west.
How far..... Lurgan  :D ;D

tyrone08

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 06, 2019, 09:45:55 PM

The parador in ormeau road normally shows it. It's down past the errigle inn. Theres a place next door call The Shed does a great lunch on a Sunday.

trileacman

As previously stated pretty much all of Hartes comments were correct bar the "black card/tv rant" one. The criticism of him that he shouldn't be commenting at all on the matter are also unfair. He was asked by a journalist at a press day what his opinions were on the Sunday game analysis regarding sky, he simply noted the apparent conflict of interest, the hypocrisy of pretending to care about people in hospital and old folks home and the improved quality of sky's analysis. There were no overtly personal or humiliating attacks on anyone which stands in contrast to how RTE have treated Harte down the years.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

blanketattack

The anti-Sky comments are parochial.
Up to 1990, the semi-finals and All Ireland final were the only live games, yet nobody gave out about the other games not being on rte or the cost that it resulted in.
Now a 2nd round qualifier gets shown on Sky that would never have been on Rte to begin with and people are up in arms against Sky.
Poor old farmer Joe with his €2000 50" LCD can't afford satellite TV, and sure the only game he'll go to is the All Ireland final.

Taylor

I personally wish there was no deal done with Sky but how many games would RTE realistically show if no deal had been done with Sky??

Dire Ear

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 06, 2019, 10:06:34 PM
Quote from: Dire Ear on August 06, 2019, 09:45:55 PM

The parador in ormeau road normally shows it. It's down past the errigle inn. Theres a place next door call The Shed does a great lunch on a Sunday.
Would there be anywhere closer to the Europa? Cheers

lenny

Quote from: Taylor on August 07, 2019, 08:21:15 AM
I personally wish there was no deal done with Sky but how many games would RTE realistically show if no deal had been done with Sky??

They would certainly show all the super 8 games anyway. Matches must be free to air at the business end of the season. Micky Harte sticking up for sky is just a petty, vindictive dig at rte.