EU budget co-ordination plans

Started by Zapatista, May 14, 2010, 08:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Earlier, the Foreign Affairs Minister Micheál Martin accused Fine Gael of 'recklessly undermining' the national interest and future jobs.

He was responding to claims by Fine Gael Finance Spokesman Richard Bruton that proposals which would give the European Commission a veto over Irish budgets could jeopardise this country's low rate of corporation tax and see the introduction of new taxes.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0513/eurozone.html

This is a pretty big deal for the Goernment and main opposition to be disagreeing on. Either the EU will have a veto on our budgets or they won't?

Ulick

Nah can't be true. Sure they told us pre-Lisbon there would be no threat to national sovereignty or control over tax rate. They did didn't they?

Zapatista

Quote from: Ulick on May 14, 2010, 09:23:34 AM
Nah can't be true. Sure they told us pre-Lisbon there would be no threat to national sovereignty or control over tax rate. They did didn't they?
They also told us it would bring jobs.

Either way my point is that they disagree on it. Maybe FF are right and it won't give them a veto but then again maybe FG are right?

no mo do yakamo

A recipe for revolution if the govt allow the eu to dictate our budget strategy.
It wasn't even kennedy in the car.

Pangurban

Its the logical and intended outworking of the Lisbon Treaty, despite any Government claims to the contrary. They have always known and accepted that this was the destination, the trick was persuading the populace to get on board. Enjoy the ride folks.

Zapatista

Quote from: Pangurban on May 14, 2010, 07:05:24 PM
Its the logical and intended outworking of the Lisbon Treaty, despite any Government claims to the contrary. They have always known and accepted that this was the destination, the trick was persuading the populace to get on board. Enjoy the ride folks.

I agree as most people do. It was known before the referendum and it's still known. The problem is that they will never admit to it (the people I mean not the Government).

Is this the end of any economic sovereignty we have? If the economics are taken from us we might as well hand over everything else. Our resources and our people. Or, are FF right and that it's not an issue?

Rossfan

Quote from: no mo do yakamo on May 14, 2010, 06:09:53 PM
A recipe for revolution if the govt allow the eu to dictate our budget strategy.
As Germ the EU will be bailing us out of the FF/Banker/Developer Traitors mess for many years to come I think he who pays the piper will be calling the tune.
Pity they werent in charge of our Finances since the start of the € in 2002.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zapatista

Quote from: Rossfan on May 14, 2010, 09:08:51 PM
Quote from: no mo do yakamo on May 14, 2010, 06:09:53 PM
As Germ the EU will be bailing us out of the FF/Banker/Developer Traitors mess for many years to come I think he who pays the piper will be calling the tune.
Pity they werent in charge of our Finances since the start of the € in 2002.

No one is bailing me out , the Irish tax payer will be picking up the bill for FF/Banker/Developer Traitors  and no one else.

Rossfan

Only for we're in the EU we'd be totally fuked as the Bankers wouldnt lend the Govt the money to run the Country.
They'd lend them the money to pay off the failed Bankers alright.
It can only be a  good thing that Germany/EU will stop us going down the arsehole McCreevy route again as our so called leaders are totally unable to grasp the concept of running a Country/Economy/Budget etc.
They still havent out grown the Ballymagash Council mentality of " I'm elected to look after my mates"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM