TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloodybreakball

aye dinny, theres a good few more moments like that, them two brothers are great characters, really good. has gustav fring came into it yet. he's a brilliant character

Puckoon

Quote from: laoislad on September 07, 2012, 07:03:21 PM
New show starting on RTE tonight called Hell on Wheels with Colm Meaney.
Looks good.

Hell on Wheels is an American Western television series created and produced by Joe and Tony Gayton. Set in 1865, the series centers on the settlement that accompanied the construction of the first transcontinental railroad, referred to as "Hell on Wheels" by the company men, surveyors, support workers, laborers, prostitutes, mercenaries and others who make the mobile encampment their home. It stars Anson Mount as Cullen Bohannon, a former Confederate soldier who works as a foreman on the railroad as he tries to track down the Union soldiers who murdered his wife and young son.

I actually just came on here to post about this. Finished season one and working my way through season two. It's a little like deadwood - deadwood light. Not as graphic, but I am really into it now. Meany is good in it as is Anson Mount and there's a few other memorable characters.

Id recommend watching it for sure.

Harold Disgracey

The Thick of it back tonight. I can't wait.

Minder

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on September 08, 2012, 12:59:01 PM

Yeah should be good, it's a great show.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Been working my way through Dexter and Breaking Bad and slow-burning the first season of the Sopranos and the fifth season of Mad Men. All excellent in their own ways.

Mad Men wants to batter you over the head with its brilliance (the.. drip-drip episode this season almost becoming too obvious, yet still somehow maddeningly satisfying) while Breaking Bad grabs you by drawing you into a very naturalistic world where its greatness is almost always under-stated. Mad Men would still probably be my favourite show of all, but the more.

Didn't like how tidy they made the ending of season 2 of Dexter, but for the most part it's a fantastic mixture of character study, police procedural and.. well, serial killer-ing. Alot of the characters besides Dexter feel a little like furniture to fill out the set, if not for integer Dexter offers them most would be at home in a show like NCIS or Criminal Minds. His sister tending to cross the line into annoying the most, yet she's also the most capable of swing the other way. Michael C. Hall's performance remains absolutely exceptional throughout. The most 'fun' of the lot.

The Sopranos is another wonderfully grey show and one that's aged very well. Perhaps my biggest problem is entirely minor - so many of the characters are movie buffs and it makes them sound like mouth-pieces for the writers at times, though part of the reason is to show the mob eating its own tail by lapping up gangster movies, something that's rife in real-life. Tony's mother steals every scene she's in.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2012, 12:19:53 AM
Been working my way through Dexter and Breaking Bad and slow-burning the first season of the Sopranos and the fifth season of Mad Men. All excellent in their own ways.

Mad Men wants to batter you over the head with its brilliance (the.. drip-drip episode this season almost becoming too obvious, yet still somehow maddeningly satisfying) while Breaking Bad grabs you by drawing you into a very naturalistic world where its greatness is almost always under-stated. Mad Men would still probably be my favourite show of all, but the more.

Didn't like how tidy they made the ending of season 2 of Dexter, but for the most part it's a fantastic mixture of character study, police procedural and.. well, serial killer-ing. Alot of the characters besides Dexter feel a little like furniture to fill out the set, if not for integer Dexter offers them most would be at home in a show like NCIS or Criminal Minds. His sister tending to cross the line into annoying the most, yet she's also the most capable of swing the other way. Michael C. Hall's performance remains absolutely exceptional throughout. The most 'fun' of the lot.

The Sopranos is another wonderfully grey show and one that's aged very well. Perhaps my biggest problem is entirely minor - so many of the characters are movie buffs and it makes them sound like mouth-pieces for the writers at times, though part of the reason is to show the mob eating its own tail by lapping up gangster movies, something that's rife in real-life. Tony's mother steals every scene she's in.

I would stay with Dexter if you can. Season 4 is probably the best series of a TV Show I've seen. John Lithgow's performance is just birlliant and the best performance I've seen from any of these shows.

I'm halfway through the first series of Breaking Bad and it's not going so well. I know there is much better to come but at the minute it's not holding my attention too well!

LeoMc

Quote from: Minder on September 08, 2012, 01:05:45 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on September 08, 2012, 12:59:01 PM

Yeah should be good, it's a great show.

Only got round to watching it last night, took a while to figure out the split in the coalition but I think that should add a whole new dimension.
I see from next weeks trailer that Tucker is back. It should be good to see how he reacts to being in opposition.

Aristo 60

The Wire - Season One
The Wire - Season Two
The Wire - Season Three
The Wire - Season Four
The Wire - Season Five

Best DVD set ever.

Canalman

Finished series two of Breaking Bad some weeks ago and waiting on the boxset for S3. S2 not as good as S1 imvho but can see that it is setting up the scene very nicely for the next few series.

Spiral season 1 is average enough, nothing to write home about.

Have Braquo (sic) at home and am saving it for winter viewing.

Watched some episodes of Wilfred recently and just didn't get into it.

Really haven't seen any tv series that have matched Dexter Seasons 1 to 5.

theskull1

Got a dvd of Modern Family from a work colleague. Said it was a great show. Watched 15 minutes of episode 1 and had to switch it off. Should I stick with it?

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

tbrick18

Breaking Bad is one of the best shows ever.
I'm currently on Season 5....and it gets darker by the episode.

I've seen the first 2 seasons of The Wire and keep meaning to get back to it as I thought they were great too.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: theskull1 on September 12, 2012, 12:57:44 PM
Got a dvd of Modern Family from a work colleague. Said it was a great show. Watched 15 minutes of episode 1 and had to switch it off. Should I stick with it?

I think it's a great wee show

Milltown Row2

I see Good cop has been axed tonight, rightly so considering whats happened lately
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Anybody watched Moone Boy? I think it's great. Good light hearted bit of craic. I'm looking forward to tonights episode as well.

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on September 21, 2012, 02:42:31 PM
Anybody watched Moone Boy? I think it's great. Good light hearted bit of craic. I'm looking forward to tonights episode as well.

The Rosies are very multi-talented, aren't they?