TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFS

Quote from: screenexile on June 07, 2012, 09:41:05 AM
Quote from: AFS on June 07, 2012, 02:02:14 AM
Just over half way through Homeland. Not really getting why it was bummed up so much. Watchable enough but nothing special. Claire Danes ruins every scene she appears in with her absurd attempts at acting. If it weren't for Damian Lewis holding the thing together I'd probably have given up by now. Plenty of boobs though, which is nice.

Finished The Bridge a couple of weeks ago. Very good, although I think I enjoyed The Killing more. Might try this Borgen show next, the Danes haven't let me down yet.

??

I really should have caught that one.

Canalman

Have The Bridge and Sebastian Bergman UPC+ed so hope to start them shortly.

As for the Killing it was good but imho was around 5 to 7 episodes too long. I thought that it sagged quiet a bit as the series went on and maybe it is me but 20 episodes is just too long for the one series.

Watching a fair bit of Modern Family recently and is a gem of a show. A character in it called Phil Dunphy who is stealing the show in it.

laoislad

Quote from: Canalman on June 07, 2012, 05:29:45 PM

Watching a fair bit of Modern Family recently and is a gem of a show. A character in it called Phil Dunphy who is stealing the show in it.

Modern Family is excellent.
Claire and Gloria are both gems.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Forever Green

Quote from: gallsman on June 07, 2012, 02:43:00 PM
Quote from: Forever Green on June 06, 2012, 06:28:25 PM
Friday Night Lights is a show and a half

Later seasons are very poor and cliché-ridden. First two were excellent though.

Hate that. Aye, I`ve really enjoyed the first series so far. Favourite character has to be the Riggins or maybe even Buddy Garritty  ;D

AFS

As for the Killing it was good but imho was around 5 to 7 episodes too long. I thought that it sagged quiet a bit as the series went on and maybe it is me but 20 episodes is just too long for the one series.

Thought the same thing alright. Really good show, but it did go round in circles a bit for about 5 or 6 episodes in the middle.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AFS on June 08, 2012, 01:46:25 AM

The makers seemed to realise that alright - the second series is 10 episodes long, and while it lacks the depth of the first, it is definitely punchier. 

Thought the same thing alright. Really good show, but it did go round in circles a bit for about 5 or 6 episodes in the middle.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

Quote from: Take Your Points on June 07, 2012, 09:06:47 PM
Spiral returns to BBC4 with a new series on Saturday 9th June.

21:00 – 21:50
Spiral
Series 2, Episode 1
1/8 A charred corpse leads Berthaud's police team to the door of lawyer Josephine Karlsson. (R)
21:50 – 22:45
Spiral
Series 2, Episode 2
2/8 Judge Roban uses his usual cunning in investigating a strange rape allegation. (R)

If you missed the last series, this is a French detective series as gritty as The Wire/The Shield.

Very good series of a very good programme.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

clarshack

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 07, 2012, 04:29:13 PM
Watched the end of Alcatraz, got really good the past 3 or 4 episodes therefore annoyed and it's cancellation.

liked alcatraz too.

with the ending that was provided, it seemed like the writers were told at the last minute that it would be cancelled.

why do they keep cancelling decent shows like this after just 1 season?

nrico2006

Quote from: clarshack on June 08, 2012, 12:08:33 PM
Watched the end of Alcatraz, got really good the past 3 or 4 episodes therefore annoyed and it's cancellation.

liked alcatraz too.

with the ending that was provided, it seemed like the writers were told at the last minute that it would be cancelled.

It seems that shows now cannot have any kind of build up.  Alcatraz started slowly and obviously lost viewers, but as mentioned it picked up towards the end and its a shame it is over.  I liked Flash Forward too.  Your doll Jones in Alcatraz made it easier to watch every week too, Hurley really was wasted in the show though.  I was surprised to see Tommy Madsen stick the knife in her at the end, I thought that the last episode was showing us that everything about him was not what it seemed (the partner being corrupt etc).  They were starting to really link it to the fella who was released early from Alcatraz too which was looking like an interesting turn.  Found it a bit silly that Sam Neill was supposed to be 70+ though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gazzler

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 08, 2012, 01:43:19 PM

liked alcatraz too.

It seems that shows now cannot have any kind of build up.  Alcatraz started slowly and obviously lost viewers, but as mentioned it picked up towards the end and its a shame it is over.  I liked Flash Forward too.  Your doll Jones in Alcatraz made it easier to watch every week too, Hurley really was wasted in the show though.  I was surprised to see Tommy Madsen stick the knife in her at the end, I thought that the last episode was showing us that everything about him was not what it seemed (the partner being corrupt etc).  They were starting to really link it to the fella who was released early from Alcatraz too which was looking like an interesting turn.  Found it a bit silly that Sam Neill was supposed to be 70+ though.
Good man way to ruin it for anyone still watching the show. ::)

nrico2006

Quote from: Gazzler on June 08, 2012, 01:51:56 PM

liked alcatraz too.

You're welcome.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

clarshack

liked alcatraz too.

It seems that shows now cannot have any kind of build up.  Alcatraz started slowly and obviously lost viewers, but as mentioned it picked up towards the end and its a shame it is over.  I liked Flash Forward too. 

The Event was another half decent show cancelled after just 1 season.

nrico2006

Quote from: clarshack on June 08, 2012, 03:13:47 PM

liked alcatraz too.

It seems that shows now cannot have any kind of build up.  Alcatraz started slowly and obviously lost viewers, but as mentioned it picked up towards the end and its a shame it is over.  I liked Flash Forward too. 

The Event was another half decent show cancelled after just 1 season.

Aye, watched that too.  Definitely had potential.  You would imagine in today's climate that the like of The Soprano's or Lost wouldn't be given much of a chance.  At least The Walking Dead hasn't been given the boot yet. 

Armaghgeddon

New season of true blood starts soon - Oh f**k.

Gazzler

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 08, 2012, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: Gazzler on June 08, 2012, 01:51:56 PM

liked alcatraz too.

You're welcome.
#idiot