Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Very proud of the Laois hurlers last night. They showed real character to win that game. I thought our goose was cooked with the Kerry goal to level it but to score the first 3 points of extra time was the winning of it. Some great performances all over the field from a very young team who are gaining experience and maturity with every game and led by their captain who was brilliant on the night. They deserve their pints over the weekend and go into the round robin series in good shape. A tough night as a supporter but ultimately a happy one.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

You couldn't fault these lads for effort and guts. Kerry are a serious hurling team and are at least as good as us. Their pace, passing and precision is incredible. If we beat them in Tralee in May it will be very hard earned. There is no doubt that we have huge work to do in defence in particular but at least they can prepare for the championship with confidence. The young lads are gaining huge experience and they same to have great team spirit.

LOVEGAA

Great to see positives for Laois hurling for a change.   The lads couldnt have given more especially being 1 man down so early.
Their determination was evident especially when they were winning by so much, let it go to extra time and then pulled it out of the bag. Great spirit, lead by King who took his role as captain to a new level.
The first half showed how well they are capable of hurling and the 2nd half showed how determined they can be.
Well done lads

clonadmad

Am I right in saying the winners of the round robin play Offaly in the Leinster Q/F?

burdizzo

No, not necessarily. The draw won't be made until after the round-robin is over.

On another note, it was good to see young Collier back. I thought he showed great potential a couple of years ago, and he got a nice point when he came on.

Don Draper

Quote from: burdizzo on April 01, 2017, 10:31:31 PM
Just to add, and with reference to the suggestion on here that Cahir Healy ditch the hurlers for the footballers - I thought he did an enormous amount of work in defence tonight. His determination and doggedness stood out a mile, and I for one hope he sticks w/ the hurlers!
Just to clarify, again, and to say, Cahir always said he wanted to go back to the footballers due to how it ended up previously. I was merely suggesting that given his age, he'd be as well go now, rather than wait until he was 33 or 34, and do himself some justice if he so wished with the football. It wasn't a slight against the hurlers, despite many trying to make it out as such.

It was never a case of ditching the hurlers, Cahir never let Laois down a day in his life. If we had more like him, in both codes, we'd be in a lot better place.

It was a good night to be in O'Moore Park on Saturday, not so much to be beating Kerry, or staying up, but to see a new generation of Laois hurler born. They deserved that win. They deserved their few pints over the weekend. On such weekends, are teams formed. Well done lads.

redsetanta

It was very evident with every player how much it meant to them. They worked as hard as i've seen them work during a game and that set the tone. The chasing, hooking, blocking and tackling was immense and we came out of plenty of rucks with the ball. At times the standard wasn't as good as it should but we definately looked the better team. It was great to have Picky on the field and the difference primary possession makes. He caught one ball turned and put it over the bar.
Watching the likes of Willie Dunphy coming off disgusted that he had to leave the pitch and it was great to see the team smiling and upbeat afterwards. As someone else said they seem to have a great bond and nights like last Saturday will only make that stronger.
It suits us to be in the round robin this year to try and build up some momentum before we play in the quarter final and lets be honest we are good enough to come 1st or 2nd in that group.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Helix

Any word on injury list lads getting back for championship. The likes of Whelan and Mark Kavanagh back from acl injury?
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

burdizzo

Plus, I was wondering about Foyle and his eligibility after the red card.

redsetanta

Do red cards carry over to other competitions?

If so he'll miss game against Westmeath in Portlaoise.

Next two games are away to Meath and Kerry.

Unlaoised

One comfort over the weekend was the performance of the hurlers who showed character and heart to stay up.

Well done lads!
LAOIS ABÚ

Dave like the tv channel

Should beat Meath & Westmeath anyway. Kerry away will not be easy.

ROUND ROBIN (3 Rounds) -    MEATH, KERRY, LAOIS, WESMTEATH
Round 1 (Round Robin)
1.   Meath   v   Kerry   23.4.2017   Pairc Tailteann Navan   3.00pm
2.   Laois   v   Westmeath   23.4.2017   O Moore Park Portlaoise   3.00pm
Round 2 (Round Robin)
1.   Westmeath   v   Kerry   30.4.2017   TEG Cusack Park Mullingar   3.00pm
2.   Meath   v   Laois   30.4.2017   Pairc Tailteann Navan   3.00pm
Round 3 (Round Robin)
1.   Westmeath   v   Meath   14.5.2017   TEG Cusack park   3.00pm
2.   Kerry   v   Laois   14.5.2017   Austin Stack Park Tralee   3.00pm

redsetanta

Tobias

It's all very quiet on here lads with only a few days to go before championship.
Reading the hoganstand website it looks like we could be without half a team. Picky, Matthew, Cha, Podge law lor, Lennon and Leigh Bergin are all on the treatment table. I think foyle is suspended too so if all those are missing we could be in bother. A minimum requirement in the championship would be to get out of the group, anything less and the year is a disaster really. Westmeath will be no pushover and Kerry away is a tough game so we need to get off to a good start on Sunday.
I'll have a go at what I think should be the starting team assuming all are available
E Fleming
Cleere
Bergin
Palmer
Healy
Matthew
L O Connell
R King
P Purcell
P Maher
C Dwyer
C Collier
W Dunphy
N Foyle
A Dunphy
C Taylor or P Whelan to come in for foyle presuming he's out.
Any word on PJ Scully, Mark Kavanagh or Tom Delaney?

redsetanta

I like Liam O'Connell but he needs to get a bit cuter. He was blocked down clearing the ball on a good few occasions against Kerry. It's not like he was being hooked from behind where he couldn't see anyone. Kerry got scores from a couple of these. In fairness he also scored a great point himself but he needs to be more aware of that.