Child Abuse on the streets

Started by Evil Genius, April 13, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

As NI's children's commissioner Koulla Yiasouma said recently, the behaviour of those adults who encouraged young children to join in the recent street violence in Northern Ireland amounts to child abuse:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56708430

And she is entirely correct, there is absolutely no excuse for such outrageous abuse, such that the adults should be put in jail and if parents themselves, their children taken away from them for being entirely unfit.

But these recent episodes brought back to mind something which I had previously wondered about, namely the grooming of children towards violence and extremism on earlier occasions in NI. Indeed, at its worst, this exploitation has been positively glorified:

Which leads on, of course, to the whole issue eg of Na Fianna Éireann and their involvement with the Provisionals etc, or their "Loyalist" counterparts, such as the Tartan Gangs.

Or is child abuse only wrong when it is eg for sexual gratification or financial gain, but not when it's serving a particular "cause"?

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2016/11/14/news/headline-781683/

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

As Mary McAleese said, some people bring up their children to hate others.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2021, 05:20:00 PM
Indeed.

But I'm just wondering how the rest of us should react.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Franko

Quote from: Evil Genius on April 13, 2021, 05:34:57 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 13, 2021, 05:20:00 PM
Indeed.

But I'm just wondering how the rest of us should react.

I'd suggest you/we should react in the same way you did in your opening post...

"there is absolutely no excuse for such outrageous abuse, such that the adults should be put in jail and if parents themselves, their children taken away from them for being entirely unfit."

Next.

Milltown Row2

Was normal growing up throwing stones/bricks then we moved on and got a job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 13, 2021, 05:58:55 PM
Not everyone does though and I think that is a real problem in working class Loyalist areas. "The boys" get their claws into these lads when they are young and encourage them to hate, that there is money in crime etc. and they never experience life beyond their own area. There is no incentive for the DUP to increase the prospects of these young people as they often need a readily mobilised army of corner boys in exchange for  "community engagement funds" as we have seen through the years with Dee Stitt etc. 

pbat

The minute an under 18 is arrested for rioting he should be removed from the home by social services, no if or buts.

Eamonnca1

Is the purpose of this thread to find a solution? Or is it whataboutery? Just wondering before I proceed...

Main Street

charlieTully

Main Street

The sunglasses are a cool add on.
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 13, 2021, 06:31:38 PM
Not everyone does though and I think that is a real problem in working class Loyalist areas. "The boys" get their claws into these lads when they are young and encourage them to hate, that there is money in crime etc. and they never experience life beyond their own area. There is no incentive for the DUP to increase the prospects of these young people as they often need a readily mobilised army of corner boys in exchange for  "community engagement funds" as we have seen through the years with Dee Stitt etc. 
Still you gotta credit MR2 for turning his back on the brick and the bottle at the age of 26 and getting himself a job.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on April 13, 2021, 10:20:15 PM
The sunglasses are a cool add on.
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 13, 2021, 06:31:38 PM
Still you gotta credit MR2 for turning his back on the brick and the bottle at the age of 26 and getting himself a job.

You'd be a good guy to have during the day, we always needed a slow fat kid to have nearby when getting chased by the army!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Evil Genius

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 13, 2021, 09:41:39 PM
Is the purpose of this thread to find a solution? Or is it whataboutery? Just wondering before I proceed...

Quote from: Main Street on April 13, 2021, 10:06:54 PM
Classic EG whataboutery.
Two more people who use the term without understanding what it means... ::)

For information, "Whataboutery" is where someone seeks to excuse his own wrongdoing by reference to that of another eg: "You can't blame me for stealing £5, when him over there stole £10"

I am not excusing anyone in this abomination, they're all equally to blame for being child abusers.

What I am doing is highlighting double standards, whereby one set of people who encourage children to throw petrol bombs at the police eg in Sandy Row are (quite rightly) condemned, while others who encouraged it eg in the Bogside get to "celebrate" it with a tourist attraction.  ::)

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Milltown Row2

So just condemn it as it is at the time and move on, drawing parallels will only bring out the exact thing you say what you are trying to avoid.

Start a thread about celebrating the bogside battles and leave it at that.

Snapchap

A quick google search could also have found you images of murals and flags "celebrating" the YCV and Ulster Young Militants

Maybe your Google isn't working correctly and didn't show any such images when you searched for them. You should contact Google to report the problem.