Learning to drive

Started by Boycey, August 10, 2017, 09:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t_mac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 31, 2019, 11:34:32 PM
Not my fault if drivers can't get it into their heads that a shorter group takes less time to pass than a longer group.

And in Republic

Under Article 47 of the 1997 Regulations (as substituted by the 2012 Regulations), you must not cycle more than 2 abreast, except when overtaking and it does not endanger or obstruct other traffic. You can overtake a vehicle on the left where the vehicles to your right are stationary or are moving slower than you, except when the vehicle to be overtaken:

Has signalled an intention to turn to the left and will execute the movement to the left before you overtake it
Is stationary for the purpose of allowing a passenger to alight or board the vehicle
Is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading

Good man keep everyone safe as you know better, most roads around my area on a Saturday or Sunday are 4 or 5 deep.

Eamonnca1

I was driving from Yerba Buena Island to Oakland a couple of weeks ago on the Bay Bridge. I drove at the speed limit. By the time I got to the other end of the bridge I'd been overtaken by 67 cars. That's in the space of about two miles.

The day when motorists start obeying the traffic laws will be the day when I start listening to their sanctimonious lectures about the rules of the road. Slow down to the speed limit for a change. Put the phone down. Stop applying make-up in the rear view mirror. Indicate before you change lanes. Stop when the light turns red, it doesn't mean "three more cars can go on through." Go when the light turns green, it doesn't mean "keep playing with your phone until you hear the horn from behind." Stop encroaching on the bike lanes. Stop parking in bike lanes. Come to an actual stop at stop signs. Yield when you're supposed to. Learn the rules about who has right of way at traffic lights.

Above all, stop killing more people than wars, and get your own houses in order first, you whingeing shower of apes!

Eamonnca1

65 was the speed limit. Just about every other driver on the road seems to think speed limits are a suggestion. I feel like a snail driving at the speed limit.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: t_mac on August 01, 2019, 03:15:13 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 31, 2019, 11:34:32 PM
Not my fault if drivers can't get it into their heads that a shorter group takes less time to pass than a longer group.

And in Republic

Under Article 47 of the 1997 Regulations (as substituted by the 2012 Regulations), you must not cycle more than 2 abreast, except when overtaking and it does not endanger or obstruct other traffic. You can overtake a vehicle on the left where the vehicles to your right are stationary or are moving slower than you, except when the vehicle to be overtaken:

Has signalled an intention to turn to the left and will execute the movement to the left before you overtake it
Is stationary for the purpose of allowing a passenger to alight or board the vehicle
Is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading

Good man keep everyone safe as you know better, most roads around my area on a Saturday or Sunday are 4 or 5 deep.

Indeed. Car drivers get bent out of shape about cyclists cutting through traffic when they're legally allowed to do so.

Puckoon

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2019, 05:52:33 PM
65 was the speed limit. Just about every other driver on the road seems to think speed limits are a suggestion. I feel like a snail driving at the speed limit.

You're using the Californian freeway speed limit to make a point? That's a cracker!

Fair play to you being able to get it up to 65 on the Bay Bridge. Must have been 1am.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2019, 05:38:01 PM
I was driving from Yerba Buena Island to Oakland a couple of weeks ago on the Bay Bridge. I drove at the speed limit. By the time I got to the other end of the bridge I'd been overtaken by 67 cars. That's in the space of about two miles.

The day when motorists start obeying the traffic laws will be the day when I start listening to their sanctimonious lectures about the rules of the road. Slow down to the speed limit for a change. Put the phone down. Stop applying make-up in the rear view mirror. Indicate before you change lanes. Stop when the light turns red, it doesn't mean "three more cars can go on through." Go when the light turns green, it doesn't mean "keep playing with your phone until you hear the horn from behind." Stop encroaching on the bike lanes. Stop parking in bike lanes. Come to an actual stop at stop signs. Yield when you're supposed to. Learn the rules about who has right of way at traffic lights.

Above all, stop killing more people than wars, and get your own houses in order first, you whingeing shower of apes!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D You count the cars that overtake you ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Nice to have time on your hands Eammon

For whats its worth I obey all enforced speed limits in California...

Pay tax and you might have a point that someone might take seriously.... otherwise your health and life are your responsibility.. even in that scenario I dont play chicken with tax paying lorries

Cycling tax could pay for your very own cycle path network..... imagine instead of stealing lanes that motor vehicle owners have paid for you could get your very own path!

t_mac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2019, 05:38:01 PM

Laughed out loud at this one, stop mounting the kerbs when you can't be bothered waiting to pass an obstruction, stop just turning without any signalling whatsoever and then blame the poor sod who has to slam on the breaks or worse, stop taking up more road than a HGV so you call all have a good chat, stop chatting, stop riding with no hands to have a nice stretch or drink pull over for a drink, stop being the victim when you are mostly the aggressor, stop acting like a wab because you decided to push the fat into some Lycra and  own the roads, stop doing all off the above without the fear or penalty points, fines or the loss of your licence.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 01, 2019, 09:06:51 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D You count the cars that overtake you ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Nice to have time on your hands Eammon

For whats its worth I obey all enforced speed limits in California...

Pay tax and you might have a point that someone might take seriously.... otherwise your health and life are your responsibility.. even in that scenario I dont play chicken with tax paying lorries

Cycling tax could pay for your very own cycle path network..... imagine instead of stealing lanes that motor vehicle owners have paid for you could get your very own path!

Good man, Joe! I was hoping somebody would bring up that old chestnut!

There's a myth going around that car drivers fund the roads for everyone else. If petrol taxes and vehicle registration fees covered the cost of motoring you'd be paying over $8/gallon at the pump like they are in Europe. Car travel in the US is heavily subsidised by the federal income tax, which is paid by people on bikes.

More here (It's for Oregon, but the numbers for CA are probably similar):

Keep her lit!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: t_mac on August 01, 2019, 10:01:48 PM

Laughed out loud at this one, stop mounting the kerbs when you can't be bothered waiting to pass an obstruction, stop just turning without any signalling whatsoever and then blame the poor sod who has to slam on the breaks or worse, stop taking up more road than a HGV so you call all have a good chat, stop chatting, stop riding with no hands to have a nice stretch or drink pull over for a drink, stop being the victim when you are mostly the aggressor, stop acting like a wab because you decided to push the fat into some Lycra and  own the roads, stop doing all off the above without the fear or penalty points, fines or the loss of your licence.

Oh and I forgot to mention: Cut out the drunk driving.

omaghjoe

Who said that vehicle registration only pays for the road network Eammon?....thanks for the perfect straw man example

Roads are funded in multiple ways but they partly pay for themselves as they fuel (if you pardon the pun) commerce, hence create jobs and pay wages, further removed but you'd also have to factor in the increased opportunity they create also.

Try seeing how the economy does if there was no roads, it makes sense that income/corporate tax pays their share.

But when all is said and done income/corporation/sales/property tax all contribute infinitly more than cyclists who pay nawhin... but it is your right to be there and above all it is never your fault.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2019, 10:31:37 PM
Quote from: t_mac on August 01, 2019, 10:01:48 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention: Cut out the drunk driving.

Eamon have a f**king cop on. Everything you've said about drivers can be said about cyclists, if you don't think so then you've lost the argument.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 01, 2019, 11:20:33 PM
Who said that vehicle registration only pays for the road network Eammon?....thanks for the perfect straw man example

Roads are funded in multiple ways but they partly pay for themselves as they fuel (if you pardon the pun) commerce, hence create jobs and pay wages, further removed but you'd also have to factor in the increased opportunity they create also.

Try seeing how the economy does if there was no roads, it makes sense that income/corporate tax pays their share.

But when all is said and done income/corporation/sales/property tax all contribute infinitly more than cyclists who pay nawhin... but it is your right to be there and above all it is never your fault.

Cyclists pay income tax. Roads would not exist without income tax. My conscience is clear. Which is more than I can say for the bimbo behind the wheel who nearly knocked me and my daughter down at a crosswalk this morning because she was more interested in her phone than what she was doing.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2019, 11:31:51 PM
Eamon have a f**king cop on. Everything you've said about drivers can be said about cyclists, if you don't think so then you've lost the argument.

Motorists turn cities into congested hell holes, spew greenhouse gases and all sorts of poison into the atmosphere, kill millions of people, and mow down innocent pedestrians in vast numbers every year.

Try saying that about cyclists and I'll have a good laugh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2019, 11:42:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2019, 11:31:51 PM

Motorists turn cities into congested hell holes, spew greenhouse gases and all sorts of poison into the atmosphere, kill millions of people, and mow down innocent pedestrians in vast numbers every year.

Try saying that about cyclists and I'll have a good laugh.

Been home lately?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2019, 11:40:41 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 01, 2019, 11:20:33 PM

Cyclists pay income tax. Roads would not exist without income tax. My conscience is clear. Which is more than I can say for the bimbo behind the wheel who nearly knocked me and my daughter down at a crosswalk this morning because she was more interested in her phone than what she was doing.

Yes you pay income tax the same as everyone else who are not cyclists, so why should you be allowed special treatment and allowed to use the road without paying additional tax like other road users.

Also theres a healthy percentage of cyclists around SoCal who dont pay any type of income tax at all, dont imagine its any different around you.