Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Combination of pirelli tan wall 28mm on the training wheels and GP 5000 on racing wheels
Look, tires need replacing regularly if you're doing big km. Especially with the crap strewn along verges on roads

Think I'm on my third set this year on the good bike.

grounded

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 11, 2023, 07:29:18 AM
Combination of pirelli tan wall 28mm on the training wheels and GP 5000 on racing wheels
Look, tires need replacing regularly if you're doing big km. Especially with the crap strewn along verges on roads

Thats a lot of tyres! Is that due to the tyres getting torn/ripped and being unusable? 

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: grounded on August 16, 2023, 08:57:31 PM

Thats a lot of tyres! Is that due to the tyres getting torn/ripped and being unusable?
10000km will do that.
I got a blowout in one tubeless tyre and because the local shop didn't have the same tyre to replace, I got a full new set.
Then I had to replace tyres on the training set as well, but I run tubes on that set of wheels. I've had to use them a few times in races so better to have them ready to go
the winter bike will have to be got ready soon, and I think that is due some tyres!

trueblue1234

Anyone here with a bit of cycling knowledge, would be willing to look at a 2nd hand bike I was thinking of buying. Can PM the link across. I'm a bit lost on what I should be looking for, so 2nd opinion would be greatly appreciated!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

grounded

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 16, 2023, 09:35:22 PM
Quote from: grounded on August 16, 2023, 08:57:31 PM

10000km will do that.
I got a blowout in one tubeless tyre and because the local shop didn't have the same tyre to replace, I got a full new set.
Then I had to replace tyres on the training set as well, but I run tubes on that set of wheels. I've had to use them a few times in races so better to have them ready to go
the winter bike will have to be got ready soon, and I think that is due some tyres!

Ah fair enough. Racing is an expensive hobby. I have a set of durano plus that are approaching 7000km with life still left in them. Slow as anything but essential for our roads summer or winter!

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 17, 2023, 01:14:39 PM
Anyone here with a bit of cycling knowledge, would be willing to look at a 2nd hand bike I was thinking of buying. Can PM the link across. I'm a bit lost on what I should be looking for, so 2nd opinion would be greatly appreciated!!
Ok. Will have a look

maddog

I see the course for the Worlds in Zurich next year has been announced. It looks like punchier classic type riders will be better suited. Each lap something like 1.9km climb at 6 or 7%. It will wear them down for sure. Will likely boil down to same guys as this year.

trueblue1234

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 18, 2023, 08:22:07 AM
Ok. Will have a look

Cheers, maddog kindly volunteered on pm and give me advice. Problem was the bike went before I could get up for if. So looked like it was a good deal!! 😞

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 18, 2023, 06:29:25 PM
Ok. Will have a look

Cheers, maddog kindly volunteered on pm and give me advice. Problem was the bike went before I could get up for if. So looked like it was a good deal!! 😞
Always the way. What sort of bike are you looking for

trueblue1234

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 18, 2023, 08:08:58 PM
Ok. Will have a look

A cheap one!! 😂 not sure if the cycling bug is going to stick so not going to fork out £12-1500 on a bike. Was looking at a reasonable 2nd hand one. I have a 20 year old Dawes Giro that's ready for pastures anew (And certainly not from being over worked as she's only been out about 10 times in 10 years). Still in ok nick but heavy and slow.
Had looked at a giant TCR 2015/16 I think. Carbon body with Ultegra group set. Was only £300 so not surprised it went quick.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 18, 2023, 10:08:01 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 18, 2023, 08:08:58 PM
Ok. Will have a look

A cheap one!! 😂 not sure if the cycling bug is going to stick so not going to fork out £12-1500 on a bike. Was looking at a reasonable 2nd hand one. I have a 20 year old Dawes Giro that's ready for pastures anew (And certainly not from being over worked as she's only been out about 10 times in 10 years). Still in ok nick but heavy and slow.
Had looked at a giant TCR 2015/16 I think. Carbon body with Ultegra group set. Was only £300 so not surprised it went quick.
A bike like that would be handy for a winter bike or turbo trainer as well. (I'm on the lookout for one(
Keep an eye on done deal or adverts. Some reasonable stuff can pop up.
The other issue is frame size

Eamonnca1

My bike is over 10 years old now. It has rim brakes and looks old.

My wife just got a more modern bike with disk brakes and I'm jealous already. It also doesn't seem to have quick-release wheels though. Seems to be some sort of Allen key needed to get the wheels off. Is that what riders are doing now? Carrying Allen keys around for when they get a flat?

bennydorano

There's normally a discreet magnetic Allen key that should be housed in the back wheel thru axle.