Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Quote from: maddog on July 26, 2023, 02:01:17 PM
Does any other sportive in Ireland charge that 20euro for non cycling Ireland members?
They all charge something for a day licence/insurance. Having the CI Licence is a good saving if you're a regular on the Sportive circuit.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 26, 2023, 10:12:13 AM
Anyone doing Lap the Lough?

Thinking of doing it this year but it's only 4 weeks away this weekend so I've left it late to start training. Typical cycle for me would be 30-60km. Never done more than 70km at a time which is just under half the distance but I'm going to train like a dog this month to get up to speed.
If you want a lumpy sportive, head down to the Leitrim Glens Sportive on August 6th

grounded

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 27, 2023, 09:49:02 AM

Thinking of doing it this year but it's only 4 weeks away this weekend so I've left it late to start training. Typical cycle for me would be 30-60km. Never done more than 70km at a time which is just under half the distance but I'm going to train like a dog this month to get up to speed.
If you want a lumpy sportive, head down to the Leitrim Glens Sportive on August 6th

If hills are your thing, have a go at the Dromara Hilly, nearly killed me.

https://www.strava.com/segments/5090691?hl=en-GB

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: grounded on July 27, 2023, 02:07:49 PM

Might do it the day after racing in Dromore in a few weeks

jcpen

322 meters of climbing over 118 km doesn't seem a lot.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

grounded

Quote from: jcpen on July 27, 2023, 08:39:55 PM

322 meters of climbing over 118 km doesn't seem a lot.

2609 metres total elevation gain.

grounded

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 27, 2023, 08:34:10 PM

Might do it the day after racing in Dromore in a few weeks

Good stuff. They usually have a stop at the Leitrim club and everyone well looked after but it is definitely a tough spin

jcpen

Looking for a cheap cycling computer. Don't need anything that fancy as don't have nor care about power meters etc.
Would like to have maps is all and then the basics like speed, distance and the usual.
Already have a pretty expensive Garmin for running so would like to stay with Garmin.
Have spotted the Edge Explore. It is 4-5 years old now at this stage but can be got for about €155 which is about what id like to spend, the new version of it is €100 more expensive.
Would it be still be worth buying despite it's age? Can still be bought brand new.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

markl121

Anybody heading over for the world championships in Glasgow? Ireland have a genuine chance this year either from distance with Ben healy or in a sprint with bennett, plus we have six riders. I'm excited

maddog

Quote from: markl121 on July 30, 2023, 07:02:46 PM
Anybody heading over for the world championships in Glasgow? Ireland have a genuine chance this year either from distance with Ben healy or in a sprint with bennett, plus we have six riders. I'm excited

Pretty punchy course around Glasgow. Will be the usual wearing down process. Was thinking Pog would go well but i remember the way he couldnt follow in last years, maybe the extreme distance doesnt suit so much. Can see him giving those ramps in Glasgow a rattle all the same. Van Aert and Van der Poel will have been targetting this all year i suspect. Ben Healy will have to just follow as doesn't have the team behind him. Mohoric at 50/1 could be good ew shout, got a tour stage and won the other day in Poland. Will they use that Crows Hill climb to shake out the sprinters or is it too early in race ?

markl121

I'd say to early but the city centre of Glasgow has quite a few really short sharp climbs. Montrose street is like 200/300m at 13%, suits the likes of MVDP down to the ground. Initially I thought the sprinters might make it but no chance, healy needs to slip into a move with the favourites and needs to get away from that alone. Mohoric could be a shout as he won't be marked and he is climbing very well
Also, if it rains mads pederson will love it, pogacar too

maddog

Quote from: markl121 on August 01, 2023, 11:42:08 AM
I'd say to early but the city centre of Glasgow has quite a few really short sharp climbs. Montrose street is like 200/300m at 13%, suits the likes of MVDP down to the ground. Initially I thought the sprinters might make it but no chance, healy needs to slip into a move with the favourites and needs to get away from that alone. Mohoric could be a shout as he won't be marked and he is climbing very well
Also, if it rains mads pederson will love it, pogacar too

I thought of Pederson as well. Was there when he won in Harrogate, friggin drowned.

maddog

Mohoric not riding it now. Non runner.........

markl121

Quote from: maddog on August 02, 2023, 10:02:53 AM
Mohoric not riding it now. Non runner.........
Balls. Pogacar is confirmed, Slovenia team looks pretty poor otherwise

redzone

Anyone see the crash involving the Colombian rider. After the crash the wheel starts to spin when the bike is lifted of the ground.