Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Great finish today. Tad with a great response after yesterday. 

gallsman

Unreal. Sets up a Tour for the ages

tonto1888

Just seen the highlights. Great stage. Looking forward to the rest of the tour

maddog

What a performance by Pogacar but also Wout Van Aert. I get the logic of Vingegaard and the team in that if pogacar was going to be vunerable again then try and make the race extra hard and hit him towards the end. It backfired a little on them. At that level every day they could hurt themselves as much. UAE not up to it so far in protecting Pogacar but didnt need them much yesterday as had the armchair ride behind Van Aert and Vingegaard. Have a feeling Kuss might not be 100% at height of his powers, will see as race progresses.
Rooting for Cavendish today but he will be up against it. "Disaster" Jasper will be hard beat, although think Ewan with a slice of luck will be very close as well.
Bordeaux finish almost always a bunch sprint.
Tomorrow looks like a break away day, lumpy, any GC men losing lots of time yesterday so they will be allowed in break tomorrow ? MW perhaps.

markl121

Excellent stage yesterday. I actually think it was overconfidence or maybe even arrogance from jonas and he thought he could easily drop pogacar like the day before. He genuinely looked shellshocked after the stage. Will likely see a much more cagey Jumbo visma going forward which may suit pogacar as he can sit behind them and outsprint for the time bonuses. JV will be looking to allow breaks to take stages now I'd say just in case.

oakleaflad

Quote from: maddog on July 07, 2023, 08:18:26 AM
What a performance by Pogacar but also Wout Van Aert. I get the logic of Vingegaard and the team in that if pogacar was going to be vunerable again then try and make the race extra hard and hit him towards the end. It backfired a little on them. At that level every day they could hurt themselves as much. UAE not up to it so far in protecting Pogacar but didnt need them much yesterday as had the armchair ride behind Van Aert and Vingegaard. Have a feeling Kuss might not be 100% at height of his powers, will see as race progresses.
Rooting for Cavendish today but he will be up against it. "Disaster" Jasper will be hard beat, although think Ewan with a slice of luck will be very close as well.
Tomorrow looks like a break away day, lumpy, any GC men losing lots of time yesterday so they will be allowed in break tomorrow ? MW perhaps.
I thought Kuss looked really good funnily enough and doing his job to a tee. He's sitting top 10 in GC despite not being a team leader and sacrificing himself each day.

maddog

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 07, 2023, 10:19:40 AM
Quote from: maddog on July 07, 2023, 08:18:26 AM
I thought Kuss looked really good funnily enough and doing his job to a tee. He's sitting top 10 in GC despite not being a team leader and sacrificing himself each day.

What i was getting at was i've seen him go much longer and deeper in front of Roglic and Vingegaard in the past. The stint on front seemed shorter. He has the poker face going on so hard to know how he is going until he just blows. Brilliant climber at his best. Reminds me of Andy Hampsten in his pomp. (yes showing my age)

markl121

To be fair to kuss, he did the giro too. Truely great climber

gallsman

Quote from: markl121 on July 07, 2023, 08:45:15 AM
Excellent stage yesterday. I actually think it was overconfidence or maybe even arrogance from jonas and he thought he could easily drop pogacar like the day before. He genuinely looked shellshocked after the stage. Will likely see a much more cagey Jumbo visma going forward which may suit pogacar as he can sit behind them and outsprint for the time bonuses. JV will be looking to allow breaks to take stages now I'd say just in case.

Watched the the highlights in YouTube where there overlay the team radio and the car was telling him that after the Tourmalet "unfortunately they didn't drop Pogacar but don't worry, he's on his knees". A gross miscalculation.

Not coming back from quite the same depths of the day before, but is anyone else a little uncomfortable by how much it reminded them of Floyd Landis in '06?

Rois

Going to be in the region next weekend when they hit the Alps. We will go see the finish of one stage, savour the atmosphere on a rest day, and then either catch a time trial or see the départ of a stage. The local tourist agency must have paid the Tour a fortune for it to be in the area of St Gervais/Megeve for so long.

bennydorano

No luck for Cavendish today, jumpy gears look to have denied him #35. That could be his last chance as it just opened up for him perfectly today, but he looks in good form,  hope he gets it.

Gold

Quote from: bennydorano on July 07, 2023, 08:47:29 PM
No luck for Cavendish today, jumpy gears look to have denied him #35. That could be his last chance as it just opened up for him perfectly today, but he looks in good form,  hope he gets it.

Same. Gutted for him there
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

An Watcher

Any Irish riders doing well this year?

markl121

Quote from: An Watcher on July 08, 2023, 07:45:08 AM
Any Irish riders doing well this year?
in the tour, no, there are none at it. Bennett riding in Romania at the minute and won the first stage all be it against poor opposition. Ben Healy is doing very well this year on the world tour

markl121

Cav down, looks like collarbone. Shite