Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

Quote from: bennydorano on April 19, 2021, 03:04:17 PM
Welcome to the world of cycling, prepare to say bye bye to your hard earned, it's never ending! I honest to God have 5 different sets of long fingers gloves for different wintery conditions,  then there's the fingerless mitts for summer!

Lidl Winter gloves are as good a pair of Winter gloves as you'll get for under a £10er. Planet X & Carnac (wool effect) are good spring/autumn gloves exactly what you need at the minute.

Gloves are £2.99 atm, ridiculous price, my favourite gloves!
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCGC/carnac-gripper-gloves

Cheers Benny! I'll have a nosey through that site.

tonto1888

Quote from: grounded on April 20, 2021, 08:15:24 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 19, 2021, 10:46:24 PM
Quote from: grounded on April 19, 2021, 10:04:17 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 19, 2021, 09:03:04 PM
Any mountain bikers here? Just got myself a good old hard tail

Yep. Still do quite a bit of mountain biking though prob on the roadbike more frequently nowadays.

Any tips for a beginner

I suppose depends what you want to do?
Where are you based? Do you intend to go to the trail centres such as Rostrevor, Castlewellan, Davagh etc. ?
      What bike do you have. Its a hard tail  i know but has it disc brakes.front suspension. Will it take you safely around these trails?

Hope to do those trails alright.

It's this one

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fuji-nevada-29-19-hardtail-bike-2021

grounded

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 20, 2021, 01:39:37 PM
Quote from: grounded on April 20, 2021, 08:15:24 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 19, 2021, 10:46:24 PM
Quote from: grounded on April 19, 2021, 10:04:17 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 19, 2021, 09:03:04 PM
Any mountain bikers here? Just got myself a good old hard tail

Yep. Still do quite a bit of mountain biking though prob on the roadbike more frequently nowadays.

Any tips for a beginner

I suppose depends what you want to do?
Where are you based? Do you intend to go to the trail centres such as Rostrevor, Castlewellan, Davagh etc. ?
      What bike do you have. Its a hard tail  i know but has it disc brakes.front suspension. Will it take you safely around these trails?

Hope to do those trails alright.

It's this one

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/fuji-nevada-29-19-hardtail-bike-2021

Nice, great deal. 29er definitely the way to go. You'll find it easier to roll over the obstacles rather than find away around.
         You may have some of these things but here is a Shopping list for you!
      1. Get a decent pair of waterproof cycling shoes. There are shoes for both platform pedals or clipless.
     2. Get a few decent pair of padded cycling shorts/bibs and padded gloves.
    3. Get a cycling pump and spare tube/levers and know how to use them. Nothing worse than having to walk 4 or 5 mile home. You can pop these in a saddle bag.
     If you are going out on some of the trails particularly Rostrevor it would be great if someone could take you around as can be tricky enough.
     Castlewellan is great to get you started with some good beginner trails mixed with some red/blacks. I've only been to Davagh once and from memory wasnt too bad(you can divert around some.of the bigger drops).
       I think there is some beginner trails in Gosford park as well?

grounded

https://www.trailbadger.com/trails/

This may be a bit outdated but gives some of the trails around Ireland.

tonto1888

Cheers mate. I live in Lurgan. There's a simple trail around craigavon lakes which I'm gonna do a few times to start with

GJL

I'm MTBing for about 5 years now. Recently changed from a 27.5 hard tail to a 29 full-sus. Love it.

If you are going to the likes of Davagh or Rostrevor I'd advise a full face helmet and proper body armour. A fall can be very sore without it.

It is a great sport for both fitness and also a good adrenalin rush but be prepared for the bumps and bruises.

tonto1888

Quote from: GJL on April 20, 2021, 05:45:41 PM
I'm MTBing for about 5 years now. Recently changed from a 27.5 hard tail to a 29 full-sus. Love it.

If you are going to the likes of Davagh or Rostrevor I'd advise a full face helmet and proper body armour. A fall can be very sore without it.

It is a great sport for both fitness and also a good adrenalin rush but be prepared for the bumps and bruises.

Yeah I think a full face helmet is the way to go. A bit more expensive maybe but worth it

GJL

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 20, 2021, 05:59:12 PM

Yeah I think a full face helmet is the way to go. A bit more expensive maybe but worth it

Got mine for less than £100. That would not go far in a dentist if you land on your face.

tonto1888

Quote from: GJL on April 20, 2021, 06:22:09 PM

Got mine for less than £100. That would not go far in a dentist if you land on your face.

Where did you get that? Have to add I have a rather large dome with a 62cm circumference. I'm guessing I'd need a 63cm helmet?

GJL

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 20, 2021, 06:44:58 PM
Quote from: GJL on April 20, 2021, 06:22:09 PM

Where did you get that? Have to add I have a rather large dome with a 62cm circumference. I'm guessing I'd need a 63cm helmet?

Type 'O Neal full face MTB Helmet' into eBay. Loads of options.

lurganblue

Slowly but surely getting into this now.  Weather has been good and home working has helped me to get out a minimum of twice a week.  Gradually getting the average speed up too but it's a long oul process.  Amazed at some of the times people I know put in on Strava.

I was worried at the start as a person who really hasn't been on a bike since my teenage years and thus opted for a gravel bike with 40mm tires. now i'm getting a bit more confident i'm thinking I should have been a little braver...

grounded

Quote from: lurganblue on April 28, 2021, 01:07:36 PM
Slowly but surely getting into this now.  Weather has been good and home working has helped me to get out a minimum of twice a week.  Gradually getting the average speed up too but it's a long oul process.  Amazed at some of the times people I know put in on Strava.

I was worried at the start as a person who really hasn't been on a bike since my teenage years and thus opted for a gravel bike with 40mm tires. now i'm getting a bit more confident i'm thinking I should have been a little braver...

Good for you. After a while you'll be thinking of buying a new bike!

Orior

Question regarding the height of the handle bars. I know that the seat height is designed to maximise pedal power, but what is the recommended height for the handle bars?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Eamonnca1

lurganblue

Quote from: Orior on May 24, 2021, 10:56:37 PM
Question regarding the height of the handle bars. I know that the seat height is designed to maximise pedal power, but what is the recommended height for the handle bars?

I keep seeing all these clips on youtube with lads having a high saddle and low handle bars, that give them this lovely looking aerodynamic shape.

Now I am unfortunately vertically challenged so I have no choice but to have the saddle at its lowest which has it in line with the bars :)

No idea what's right but I do think I have the saddle adjusted correctly for me....