Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on May 05, 2020, 09:26:26 PM
Quote from: Orior on May 05, 2020, 08:36:35 PM
During lockdown, how far / how long are you allowed to cycle on the road in free state / UK?

5K in Ireland (free state as you put it ;)). You can cycle as long as you want just don't go beyond 5k
No limit in distance in uk (I think)

I've taken that as gospel.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

majestic

Quote from: thewobbler on May 06, 2020, 10:32:16 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 06, 2020, 10:22:30 AM
That's it, is a fella walking down the street with a Tennis racket a Tennis player? The public seem to get wound up by all types of cyclists unfortunately - cyclists and people on bikes I should say.

There's a good reason for this.

Anyone who has ever lived in a housing development will from time to time have their journey held up by family/neighbours playing football, tennis, rounders, something else, even pedestrians on the street. This is easy to tolerate given the minimal disruption and the fact that it is a communal space.

But same people do not then vacate that space and also play their game on dual carriageways with a bunch of other housing developments, or on the width of arterial routes, or on the width of country roads, thereby forcing traffic - regardless of how deep it is - to wait while their have their fun.

What if the person on a bike is heading to work? Is their journey less important than yours?

LeoMc

Quote from: maddog on May 06, 2020, 08:55:47 AM
Quote from: illdecide on May 05, 2020, 07:15:51 PM
Without this going into a melt down between cyclists and motorists we all know there are motorists who are pure ball bags and clearly there are cyclists that fit that mould too but we all have to share the road and we're going to have to tolerate each other and respect each other. Its funny how we Irish have turned into the rush rush nation and haven't the time for nothing...a few decades ago the Irish were renowned for being laid back and even lackadaisical where we took everything in our stride but we've become the metropolitan city slickers in a rush even in the towns...

Where is this going to end as the population expands and the cyclists increase too it's only going to get worse...I always look at it this way...Imagine having to go to someone's wake and funeral that you knocked off the bike, watching their wife/husband/kids in bits knowing you played a part in it. That would soon put it into perspective.

You are dead right of course, but just on the point of cyclists i assume you mean all cyclists not just the lyrca brigade. For example where do you start with a clown riding on the pavement going in the wrong direction down a one way street shouting at pedestrians to get out of his way. Saw that not that long ago in city centre. Also a guy lives on our road here is up and down all day (dont know what the hell he is at) on a mountain bike, seems to be nipping to the shops but all the way down a flippin cul de sac on the pavement. You really need to watch out for him when backing off the driveway instead of looking out for the kids playing on their bikes.
It is generally a symptom of a declining society where there is generally less respect for other people and it manifests itself through incidents on roads, in supermarkets, in pubs etc etc.

Highway Code: rule 66.

LeoMc

That's it, is a fella walking down the street with a Tennis racket a Tennis player? The public seem to get wound up by all types of cyclists unfortunately - cyclists and people on bikes I should say.

Anyone who has ever lived in a housing development will from time to time have their journey held up by family/neighbours playing football, tennis, rounders, something else, even pedestrians on the street. This is easy to tolerate given the minimal disruption and the fact that it is a communal space.

But same people do not then vacate that space and also play their game on dual carriageways with a bunch of other housing developments, or on the width of arterial routes, or on the width of country roads, thereby forcing traffic - regardless of how deep it is - to wait while their have their fun.
What if it is not a game but a commute?

LeoMc

Baseball players would have a bad rep round certain areas of Belfast.

thewobbler

Quote from: majestic on May 06, 2020, 10:36:32 AM

What if the person on a bike is heading to work? Is their journey less important than yours?

What if they aren't? If they're heading to work and set out at rush hour and their speed creates a queue of traffic on a twisty road (I'm thinking the Hillhall Road in Belfast), then they're a selfish **** (regardless of what vehicle they're in).

We could be here a while with that one.

——

The basic point is though straightforward.

Most leisure pursuits will cause sporadic or even occasional angst for motorists. Crowds attending football matches, or other popular sports, parking everywhere and crossing roads in the wrong places. Marathons, boules or motor rallies closing roads. Joggers and walkers are more frequent, but the delays caused by them are usually minimal.

But all out by itself, in terms of a leisure pursuit causing regular (in some places, constant) angst for motorists is group / club cycling. Now I know cyclists can fob a lot of this off with complaints that people shouldn't be in such a hurry. The reality is, for example, if you're a delivery driver going through the mournes on a Saturday morning, time is short and road options are few. Encountering a large and antagonistic cycling club at the foot of Spelga would put years on anyone in this situation.

This is why motorists dislike cyclists.

majestic

Quote from: thewobbler on May 06, 2020, 10:50:20 AM

What if they aren't? If they're heading to work and set out at rush hour and their speed creates a queue of traffic on a twisty road (I'm thinking the Hillhall Road in Belfast), then they're a selfish **** (regardless of what vehicle they're in).

We could be here a while with that one.

——

The basic point is though straightforward.

Most leisure pursuits will cause sporadic or even occasional angst for motorists. Crowds attending football matches, or other popular sports, parking everywhere and crossing roads in the wrong places. Marathons, boules or motor rallies closing roads. Joggers and walkers are more frequent, but the delays caused by them are usually minimal.

But all out by itself, in terms of a leisure pursuit causing regular (in some places, constant) angst for motorists is group / club cycling. Now I know cyclists can fob a lot of this off with complaints that people shouldn't be in such a hurry. The reality is, for example, if you're a delivery driver going through the mournes on a Saturday morning, time is short and road options are few. Encountering a large and antagonistic cycling club at the foot of Spelga would put years on anyone in this situation.

This is why motorists dislike cyclists.

Some may argue that the selfish **** is the person in a car. Using your example of the Hillhall road in rush hour? What happens when you reach the house of sport roundabout/Malone road, what holds you up then? Is it a queue of bicycles, or a bunch of selfish ****s that have decided to not use a sustainable method of transport cause they are too lazy to walk the 10 mins to the bus stop or it isn't conveniently located to the office of on the other side? Or indeed they lack the confidence to ride a bike because of the reputation for motorists not giving sufficient space or respect. You might be delayed by 10 mins behind a cyclist heading to work, but if there were more like that person on the bike you might actually get there a little quicker.

I am speaking from the perspective of someone who is not a member of a club or rides in a group. I understand your point of view regarding large groups and I believe respect needs to work both ways. Personally I believe motorist to lack patience and they get frustrated and this lack of patience can sometimes cause the motorist to part-take in extremely dangerous behavior, is a couple of minutes worth that?

What is your solution? Improve cycling infrastructure to keep them off the main roads?

JoG2

Quote from: Orior on May 05, 2020, 08:36:35 PM
During lockdown, how far / how long are you allowed to cycle on the road in free state / UK?

I head out a few mornings early before work and cover about 50/60kms (90% of the distance would be in Donegal). I'm right on the border, the roads are quiet. I'd say the garda / cops are manning the borders 50% of the time. They haven't batted an eyelid in my direction yet

maddog

Anyway what do you think of the revised pro calendar. Cramped to say the least. I've been to the Vuelta twice now in September in the north of Spain and have to say a few days in the mountains the weather was poor enough. I'd have my doubts about it being run late Oct early Nov. Making a massive assumption that it isn't all changed / cancelled again i'd have an opportunity to do Tour de france in September so might go down that route although booking anything is fraught with problems. So if i do it could be a driving job down to the Alps. If that doesnt happen a weekend around Tour of Flanders or Paris Roubaix might be on the cards. In the grand tours there could be some screwy results with the season so out of kilter and riders not suffering normal fatigue by July or for that matter having enough racing miles in the legs. Hope it all goes ahead on the basis this virus fecks off with itself.

-1st August: Strade Bianche (Italy)

-5-9 August: Tour de Pologne (Poland)

-8 August: Milano-Sanremo (Italy)

-12-16 August: Critérium du Dauphiné (France)

-16 August: Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic (Great Britain)

-25 August: Bretagne Classic - Ouest-France (France)

-29 August -20 September : Tour de France (France)

-7-14 September: Tirreno-Adriatico (Italy)

-11 September: Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec (Canada)

-13 September: Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal (Canada)

-29 September -3 October: BinckBank Tour

-30 September: La Flèche Wallonne (Belgium)

-3-25 October: Giro d'Italia (Italy)

-4 October: Liège-Bastogne-Liège (Belgium)

-10 October: Amstel Gold Race (the Netherlands)

-11 October: Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields (Belgium)

-14 October: A Travers la Flandre (Belgium)

-15-20 October: Gree - Tour of Guangxi (China)

-18 October: Tour des Flandres (Belgium)

-20 October - 8 November: Vuelta Ciclista a España (Spain)

-21 October: Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (Belgium)

-25 October: Paris-Roubaix (France)

-31 October: Il Lombardia (Italy)

Tyrdub

I'm one of them who has taking to the cycling since lockdown. Had an old mountain bike but got a hybrid bike on te Cycle to Work Scheme. Luckily I'm ten minute ride from cycle paths along the loughshore in Belfast, not overly confident yet about road cycling but I'll get there

illdecide

Quote from: maddog on May 06, 2020, 11:45:36 AM
Anyway what do you think of the revised pro calendar. Cramped to say the least. I've been to the Vuelta twice now in September in the north of Spain and have to say a few days in the mountains the weather was poor enough. I'd have my doubts about it being run late Oct early Nov. Making a massive assumption that it isn't all changed / cancelled again i'd have an opportunity to do Tour de france in September so might go down that route although booking anything is fraught with problems. So if i do it could be a driving job down to the Alps. If that doesnt happen a weekend around Tour of Flanders or Paris Roubaix might be on the cards. In the grand tours there could be some screwy results with the season so out of kilter and riders not suffering normal fatigue by July or for that matter having enough racing miles in the legs. Hope it all goes ahead on the basis this virus fecks off with itself.

-1st August: Strade Bianche (Italy)

-5-9 August: Tour de Pologne (Poland)

-8 August: Milano-Sanremo (Italy)

-12-16 August: Critérium du Dauphiné (France)

-16 August: Prudential RideLondon-Surrey Classic (Great Britain)

-25 August: Bretagne Classic - Ouest-France (France)

-29 August -20 September : Tour de France (France)

-7-14 September: Tirreno-Adriatico (Italy)

-11 September: Grand Prix Cycliste de Québec (Canada)

-13 September: Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal (Canada)

-29 September -3 October: BinckBank Tour

-30 September: La Flèche Wallonne (Belgium)

-3-25 October: Giro d'Italia (Italy)

-4 October: Liège-Bastogne-Liège (Belgium)

-10 October: Amstel Gold Race (the Netherlands)

-11 October: Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields (Belgium)

-14 October: A Travers la Flandre (Belgium)

-15-20 October: Gree - Tour of Guangxi (China)

-18 October: Tour des Flandres (Belgium)

-20 October - 8 November: Vuelta Ciclista a España (Spain)

-21 October: Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne (Belgium)

-25 October: Paris-Roubaix (France)

-31 October: Il Lombardia (Italy)

Would be nice to see it back, some calendar crammed in there. Some biggies quite late in the year, just hope the weather is good for them
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Eamonnca1

Quote from: trailer on May 05, 2020, 12:17:43 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 05, 2020, 11:59:28 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 11:12:28 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 04, 2020, 11:05:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 10:56:50 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 04, 2020, 10:52:57 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 10:43:55 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on May 04, 2020, 10:39:41 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on May 03, 2020, 03:44:53 PM
When I'm driving, cyclists go two wide and I have to pull out.  When I'm walking in two's they'd cycle  over the top of you.  Which is it?

That old chestnut again? You also have to pull out when they're riding single file. Riding abreast makes it easier to get past because it shortens the group. It's not the width of the group that makes it hard to get past, it's the length.

Except you have to pull out further when cyclists are riding abreast, leaving a potential collision more likely.

What i find strange is that its more dangerous for everyone its exponentially so the cyclists so you would think they would want to ride safer so for them to deliberately create that situation is somewhat mind boggling.

How far do you pull out when they are single file?
Are the roads around Lough wide enough to allow 2m for a cyclist and still overtake into oncoming traffic?

what lough?
Loughmcrory

???

Mixing you up with Omagh Gael. :-[

Anyway as per the Highway Code.

Rule 66
You should never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

You showing me or Eammon?
There is a bit in it for everyone.  8)

Rule 64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Rule 69
You MUST obey all traffic signs and traffic light signals.

Rule 71
You MUST NOT cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. Some junctions have an advanced stop line to enable you to wait and position yourself ahead of other traffic.

Rule 79
Do not ride across equestrian crossings, as they are for horse riders only. Do not ride across a pelican, puffin or zebra crossing. Dismount and wheel your cycle across.

Rule 80
Toucan crossings. These are light-controlled crossings which allow cyclists and pedestrians to share crossing space and cross at the same time

Rule 163
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. Give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car

Rule 212
When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room. If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

Rule 213
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

Have to say this one gets me. Cyclists do think that this rule doesn't apply to them.

Gets me too. Drivers act like this rule doesn't apply to them. A light turning red means "stand by for at least three more cars to go through." When a light turns green it means "keep playing with your phone until somebody behind blows their horn."

The day when motorists start obeying the traffic laws will be the day when I start listening to their sanctimonious lectures about the rules of the road. Put the phone down. Slow down to the speed limit for a change. Come to an actual stop at stop signs. Yield when you're supposed to. Obey the light as soon as it goes red. Go when it turns green. Stop killing thousands of people every year with your reckless behaviour, and get your own houses in order first, you sanctimonious whinging shower of apes!

Eamonnca1

Haven't you heard? When someone gets into a car for whatever reason, their's is the most important journey ever undertaken, and the concerns of all other road users are secondary. A cyclist is an illegitimate road user if he gets in the way of Cletus on the way to the liquor store in his pickup truck to pick up a six pack of Coors and a tub of Pringles.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 10:22:58 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 07:58:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on May 03, 2020, 03:44:53 PM
When I'm driving, cyclists go two wide and I have to pull out.  When I'm walking in two's they'd cycle  over the top of you.  Which is it?

That old chestnut again? You also have to pull out when they're riding single file. Riding abreast makes it easier to get past because it shortens the group. It's not the width of the group that makes it hard to get past, it's the length.

Except you have to pull out further when cyclists are riding abreast, leaving a potential collision more likely.

What i find strange is that its more dangerous for everyone its exponentially so the cyclists so you would think they would want to ride safer so for them to deliberately create that situation is somewhat mind boggling.

Riders riding single file: You have to cross the centre line to get past them, crossing within the lane is too dangerous because it doesn't leave enough room. So you have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic before you can overtake.

Riders riding abreast: You have to cross the centre line to get past them, crossing within the lane is too dangerous because it doesn't leave enough room. So you have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic before you can overtake.

The only difference is the length of the group, and a wider but short group is easier to get past because you don't need such a long gap in oncoming traffic.

;D ;D ;D
Yeah cos when you come across a group of cyclists they are always riding in such a uniform manner, they are strung out over the road and your passing one group of them then stuck behind the next part of the group. We are talking about real life scenarios here not idealised ones that suit your argument.

In the scenario where you are conducting a large group cycle on a regional/B road in Ireland where it is a tight squeeze for 2 vehicles and a cyclist to pass this may be correct. However might I add it would be most inconsiderate to conduct a large scale cycle of 9+ cyclists on a road like this especially when others are available.

However for main roads, minor roads etc this is not the case, and virtually all roads in California are large enough for multiple vehicle to pass abreast.

When there are 2 or 3 cyclists riding in single file it is quite easy to pass them safely insteady of them riding abreast

If your riding 2/3 a breast its a ticking time bomb for a scenario arising where you get knocked down, alls it takes is for one driver to come around a corner too fast and be confronted with the option of hitting the cyclists or getting in a head on collision with an on coming lorry.

Incorrect. It's the length of the group that makes them hard to pass, not the width.

omaghjoe

I gotta laugh at all these rules tho too

Most cyclists you encounter in California are either on the footpath or coming at you the wrong way up the street, and Im talking about a 50mph road