Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: Orior on December 15, 2016, 12:25:02 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on December 15, 2016, 11:33:09 AM
Give out about cyclists taking up the road if you want, its an old argument that is unlikely to be solved here, but save your drama for somewhere else. (my eye rolling was at your 'why do people use cars?' for clarity)

This is different from the normal cars versus cyclists debate.

I'm referring to a single lane road which is 3 mile long. If two cars meet, one car has to pull in to the grass verge to let the other car pass. If a tractor is holding up traffic in the same direction they would pull on to the verge to let the car past.

But some cyclists believe their rights trump those of everyone else and are very very abusive. I'm a keen cyclist too, but I'm using this forum to highlight a particular stretch of road used by some cyclists who also post here.

I'm afraid like drivers there are some good and bad cyclists. Unfortunately the truth of the matter is when there is an accident involving a cyclist and a vehicle ,it's the cyclist who invariably comes off worse.
   Interstingly I see  EU funding has been made available for the green way between omeath and newry. http://talkofthetown.ie/e3-46m-funding-approved-for-carlingford-lough-greenway-from-carlingford-to-newry/
  The completion of this may lead to vehicle free path (apart from your 3 mile section) the entire way to portadown.

muppet

Quote from: grounded on December 16, 2016, 01:35:25 PM
Give out about cyclists taking up the road if you want, its an old argument that is unlikely to be solved here, but save your drama for somewhere else. (my eye rolling was at your 'why do people use cars?' for clarity)

I'm referring to a single lane road which is 3 mile long. If two cars meet, one car has to pull in to the grass verge to let the other car pass. If a tractor is holding up traffic in the same direction they would pull on to the verge to let the car past.

But some cyclists believe their rights trump those of everyone else and are very very abusive. I'm a keen cyclist too, but I'm using this forum to highlight a particular stretch of road used by some cyclists who also post here.

I'm afraid like drivers there are some good and bad cyclists. Unfortunately the truth of the matter is when there is an accident involving a cyclist and a vehicle ,it's the cyclist who invariably comes off worse.
   Interstingly I see  EU funding has been made available for the green way between omeath and newry. http://talkofthetown.ie/e3-46m-funding-approved-for-carlingford-lough-greenway-from-carlingford-to-newry/
  The completion of this may lead to vehicle free path (apart from your 3 mile section) the entire way to portadown.

I'm guessing it will be one-way.  :D
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Anyone got a Charge Fitbit watch? Think Santa is bringing me one, can you Sync with Garmin / Strava? I have a HRM but only really wear it on the Turbo as it makes me gag when cycling outdoors.

grounded

Quote from: muppet on December 16, 2016, 01:47:41 PM

Or another?

Orior

Quote from: grounded on December 16, 2016, 02:39:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 16, 2016, 01:47:41 PM

Or another?

There is room on the towpath on either side to build a dedicated cycle path. Better if it was the other side from the road. Arlene can afford it I'm sure.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2016, 02:18:47 PM
Anyone got a Charge Fitbit watch? Think Santa is bringing me one, can you Sync with Garmin / Strava? I have a HRM but only really wear it on the Turbo as it makes me gag when cycling outdoors.

I have the Fitbit Surge,,,have it about a year now. Good job and does everything a Garmin can do accept tell you your cadence  but gives you heart rate, speeds hi, low and average. I use it a lot for gym too so getting the usage out of it. It doesn't like boxing though, the constant impact on your wrist seems to knock it off at times. As long as your not on the boxing pads it's a great job.

Just check the model you're getting has GPS for running cycling etc...I think only the dearer models have GPS built in
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Any big plans / challenges for next year?? Wouldn't mind something different.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on December 16, 2016, 08:54:23 PM

I have the Fitbit Surge,,,have it about a year now. Good job and does everything a Garmin can do accept tell you your cadence  but gives you heart rate, speeds hi, low and average. I use it a lot for gym too so getting the usage out of it. It doesn't like boxing though, the constant impact on your wrist seems to knock it off at times. As long as your not on the boxing pads it's a great job.

Just check the model you're getting has GPS for running cycling etc...I think only the dearer models have GPS built in

Waterproof??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

I'm hoping to invest in a bike in 2017

budget of about €1500.
any suggestions?

illdecide

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 30, 2016, 10:04:21 PM
Quote from: illdecide on December 16, 2016, 08:54:23 PM

Waterproof??

Well u can wear it if its raining but you can't swim with it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

grounded

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on December 30, 2016, 10:28:38 PM

budget of about €1500.
any suggestions?

Is it for the road or mountain do you want to commute to work with it or just leisure?

redzone

Quote from: grounded on January 01, 2017, 11:24:14 AM

budget of about €1500.
any suggestions?

Is it for the road or mountain do you want to commute to work with it or just leisure?

Have a look on DoneDeal. Loads of bikes second hand in Leinster. I'm sure somebody here will tell u if u are getting a good deal . For 1500 new ud get the same for a grand second hand

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: grounded on January 01, 2017, 11:24:14 AM

budget of about €1500.
any suggestions?

Road
For leisure and training
I have to drive to work

bennydorano

See Planet X have multiple deals on & if you can build a bike that comes boxed you can save an extra £200. The Viner Settanta looks an absolute stunner http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/viner-settanta
Can get it with Shimano 105 for £1,000 (1200 built)

There are any gods amount of deals about, saw a great deal on Hargroves Cycles for a Cube Litening with full Ultegra, Fulcrum Quattro wheels for £1,500 (size 56 only).

manfromdelmonte