Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: illdecide on December 05, 2016, 11:04:18 AM
Was out on a run yesterday and had a stinker...ran out of fuel on way home and had nothing left in the legs, i held on as best i could and was only dropped 3-4 mile from home. I know this can happen from time to time and i'm sure every cyclist has done it but whats worrying me is the last 4 weeks i've been poor and struggled on the bikes. I ate my normal foods before cycle so dunno what's changed. I'm training reasonably well so should be in decent shape. (3 swims, 3 spins per week and a cycle on a Sun, even in the spin classes i seem to be down a cylinder...

any ideas?

In your case I hope it is age. Anything else would be worrying.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Maybe you are doing too much and are a little burnt out?
Take a week off doing anything and see how you are after that. The rest might do you the world of good.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

illdecide

Not sure if our Southern Brethren have the same cycle to work scheme as up in the north but i got my current bike thru the "cycle to work scheme" and apparently i saved 32% on the bike thru tax and national insurance. My last payment is due at the end of this month and the government contacted me asking for my 3 options for end of term which were...

1. Hand the bike back
2. Hire it for another 3 years with a one of payment of £70 and no other monthly payments which at the end of the 3 years they keep the £70 and then sign the bike over to me.
3. Buy the bike now for a fee of £210.

I decided to buy the bike now and paid them £210. My boss said it was a terrible way to end the term and thought it was not worth the hire as did i, he also said that i didn't have to pay them back the last monthly payment which means i had one months money off (£55) + the £70 that i would have had to pay them anyway for the further 3 years hire. So it cost me an extra £85 to buy the bike now but i would never do that again and def didn't think it was worth the hassle...It's basically an interest free loan.

Anyone else have any issues with the scheme? I would not do it again.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

gerry

i am now on my third scheme and when i am finished this one i am taking another one out for a mountain bike.  i always go for option two with the one of payment of £70 quid and the bike is yours.  dont understand why went for the £210 option
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

Mine (Public Sector) has always been 12 payments and then a 13th 'transfer of ownership payment', which has always been roughly half the cost of the 12 payments. Yours sounds a bit shit tbh illdecide. I've always thought of ir as a slightly better than interest free loan.

Orior

Why do people use cars? Here are some possible reasons:
- get to the chemist shop before it closes
- take a sick child to the doctor
- catch a train or bus
- take an old person to hospital

Valid reasons I suppose, but are they more important than a cyclist getting his training run in? If you think the training run is more important then just sit in front of cars on the towpath road between Poyntzpass and Gambles bridge. Don't pull in. Make the car crawl along behind you at 15 mph and enjoy your very important training run.

haranguerer

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on December 15, 2016, 08:11:41 AM
Mine (Public Sector) has always been 12 payments and then a 13th 'transfer of ownership payment', which has always been roughly half the cost of the 12 payments. Yours sounds a bit shit tbh illdecide. I've always thought of ir as a slightly better than interest free loan.

aye i thought mine was crap TBH. I know i prob shouldn't have paid the £210 but i had to pay them £70 anyway plus my boss cancelled my last payment of £55 so it was really only £85 extra to take ownership now instead of another 3 years.
Wouldn't do it again. It was like after paying of your mortgage your bank saying aye it's still our house for another 25 years and then we'll hand it over to you ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Orior

Quote from: haranguerer on December 15, 2016, 08:37:41 AM
::) ::) ::)

What's worse is cyclists who deliberately sit in the middle of the road and shout abuse at drivers for using 'their' cycle path. This has happened on several occasions to different drivers, and the council has set letters to the two local cycle clubs but the unsavoury incidents still happen.

haranguerer

Give out about cyclists taking up the road if you want, its an old argument that is unlikely to be solved here, but save your drama for somewhere else. (my eye rolling was at your 'why do people use cars?' for clarity)

Orior

Quote from: haranguerer on December 15, 2016, 11:33:09 AM
Give out about cyclists taking up the road if you want, its an old argument that is unlikely to be solved here, but save your drama for somewhere else. (my eye rolling was at your 'why do people use cars?' for clarity)

This is different from the normal cars versus cyclists debate.

I'm referring to a single lane road which is 3 mile long. If two cars meet, one car has to pull in to the grass verge to let the other car pass. If a tractor is holding up traffic in the same direction they would pull on to the verge to let the car past.

But some cyclists believe their rights trump those of everyone else and are very very abusive. I'm a keen cyclist too, but I'm using this forum to highlight a particular stretch of road used by some cyclists who also post here.

grounded

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/paving-the-way-for-transgender-cyclists-the-story-of-jillian-bearden/                             
     Thought this was a fascinating read on the complexities of categorizing athletes and the whole idea of taking performance DEhancing drugs in order to be allowed to compete.

stew

I watched the Armstrong documentary again and I have to say Armstrong is even more vile than I thought he was after he confessed his sons to Oprah!

No way ANY non doper could hang with a world class cyclists on roids, the advantage dopers have is immense!

Wiggins was clean in 2009, I have no doubt, I like to think he has always been clean but unlike yesteryear I am now a sceptic when it comes to anyone going well in cycling.\
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heffo

Quote from: stew on December 16, 2016, 12:12:16 AM
I watched the Armstrong documentary again

Which one?

DennistheMenace

Quote from: stew on December 16, 2016, 12:12:16 AM
I watched the Armstrong documentary again and I have to say Armstrong is even more vile than I thought he was after he confessed his sons to Oprah!

No way ANY non doper could hang with a world class cyclists on roids, the advantage dopers have is immense!

Wiggins was clean in 2009, I have no doubt, I like to think he has always been clean but unlike yesteryear I am now a sceptic when it comes to anyone going well in cycling.\

Wiggins clean? You are having a laugh