Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clov

Giro starts this Friday. The field is a bit underwhelming - Nibali might be the only Grand Tour winner riding.

Nibali will probably be favourite and probably has the strongest team. Valverde will be close no doubt. I'd like to see Landa do well but there might be too much TT and not enough mountain top finishes for him.

Tom Dumoulin is my outside bet .
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

grounded

Quote from: illdecide on May 02, 2016, 11:42:57 PM
Was on a run today and one of my mates came of the bike going down one of the steepest hills in the country (Rathfrisland) fractured skull, broken collarbone and dis-located  shoulder...Shocking fall which scared the shite out of me as I was right behind him and got a v lucky escape. Cycling can be so dangerous... A bad gust of wind wobbled him and he pulled the front brakes and skidded it worse and off he came, helmet split in two after hitting his head of kerb. Can't get it out of my head...

Sorry to hear about your pal, hope he makes a full recovery. A fall like that (even witnessing it) can really knock the confidence.
Which of Rathfriland 's hills were you descending. The castlewellan road has a few manhole covers and hidden bumps that nearly put me off a few times. Saying that they can all be treacherous particularly when wet.

illdecide

Quote from: grounded on May 04, 2016, 12:22:11 PM
Quote from: illdecide on May 02, 2016, 11:42:57 PM
Was on a run today and one of my mates came of the bike going down one of the steepest hills in the country (Rathfrisland) fractured skull, broken collarbone and dis-located  shoulder...Shocking fall which scared the shite out of me as I was right behind him and got a v lucky escape. Cycling can be so dangerous... A bad gust of wind wobbled him and he pulled the front brakes and skidded it worse and off he came, helmet split in two after hitting his head of kerb. Can't get it out of my head...

Sorry to hear about your pal, hope he makes a full recovery. A fall like that (even witnessing it) can really knock the confidence.
Which of Rathfriland 's hills were you descending. The castlewellan road has a few manhole covers and hidden bumps that nearly put me off a few times. Saying that they can all be treacherous particularly when wet.

It was the Banbridge side...the scary thing was i checked my Strava and we were doing 48.3mph going down hills on the Downpatrick side of Castlewellan and after what happened later on I can't believe how stupid we were going at them speeds...as you say one bump and you're in serious trouble...It certainly won't put me off cycling but it definitely will make me approach steep descents differently
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Carmen Stateside

anyone watching the Giro?
great battle on right now, Nibali going for the win on the last big climbs of the race

yellowcard

Another bad day for cycling with Nibali making a miraculous recovery after looking spent a few days ago. It's amazing what a blood refill can do.

Linkbox

Enjoyed the Giro. Some crazy crashes, especially for the Katusha rider, Zakarin.

The climb on the second last stage was awful and it was suspiciously powerful from Nibali. Really like Chavez. Would be great to see him get a tour win. Hopefully he is clean though I just watched the Pantani doc which has jaded my view of cycling again. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2966760/

bennydorano

Sort of lost track if it in the last few days but thoroughly enjoyed it. Wouldn't trust Astana as far as I could throw them but great riding by Nibali if taken at face value - multiple GT winner, so not exactly unbelievable . Impressive stuff from Kruusjik of Lotto moreso, never heard much of him before tbh. Very unlucky for Zakarin who has been making a name for himself, a big prospect, but again at a dodgy outfit. Chavez could be one for La Vuelta.

illdecide

Any of you guys doing the Gran Fonda this weekend? Dunno if i should try it or not, fitness wise I'm just okay and would like to be in better shape but I'm not lagging behind either. the problem is I've only ever done 88 miles and haven't went beyond that...a bit nervous about it TBH.

bennydorano

No, doing Wicklow the following weekend. If u can do 88m, u can do a Ton+. Was up over Slieve Croob on Saturday and it's certainly nothing to worry about, Spelga a bit tougher tho. Riding in big groups, as u tend to do in Sportives, saves on effort & energy big time, if u can do 60 /70 solo, Ton+ in a group should be no bother.

bennydorano

Great ride by Aru today at the Dauphine. Bertie looking in good nick but they haven't really got down to Business yet.

Weather looming ropey for Wicklow :-[

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on June 08, 2016, 07:09:39 PM
Great ride by Aru today at the Dauphine. Bertie looking in good nick but they haven't really got down to Business yet.

Weather looming ropey for Wicklow :-[

Benny i think u might have picked the wrong weekend

bennydorano

Froome put a few boys in their box today. Porte & Dan Martin looking in good nick. Contador and Pinaut have something to find for Le Tour by the looks of it.

Wicklow could be a pass looking at the forecast.

bennydorano

Operation Puerto: Blood bags in Spanish cycling doping case to be handed over - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36527895

I thought they were already destroyed! There'll be a few sportsmen sleeping uncomfortably for a while. Hopefully it's not just the cyclists they go after. Tennis & Soccer players were strongly rumoured to be patients of Fuentes.

JimStynes

A very famous spanish tennis player was apparently caught and it got covered up so I wonder just how far they will go to releasing the names.

JimStynes

Anyone had tendonitis. Going with illdecide (the skinny version) and I have been off the bike for a few months now with tendonitis. Went out on sunday and did a couple of hills and my knee is aching now ffs. France in 3 weeks too. Disaster