Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on February 09, 2016, 06:59:08 PM
Have done the WDW sportive 3 times, great season opener. I've been puked with a niggly cold this past few weeks so i've mostly been on the turbo, the one spin I did get out for recently was unpleasantly tough,  hoping to get out 2moro afternoon tho to see where I stand.

Got out on Sunday there and only done 32 mile but it was tough in a strong wind but got it tight TBH considering the route was relatively flat but guy I was with wouldn't let up and just grinded away, i'd say if I was by myself it would have been a lot slower...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on February 09, 2016, 06:59:08 PM
Have done the WDW sportive 3 times, great season opener. I've been puked with a niggly cold this past few weeks so i've mostly been on the turbo, the one spin I did get out for recently was unpleasantly tough,  hoping to get out 2moro afternoon tho to see where I stand.

aye its a good fast opener over (usually)fairly good roads. Like yourself its been mostly turbo for me. Best bit of training advice for me after the Christmas splurge is probably ' to keep my head out of the fridge ' lol

haranguerer

Was looking at this as well, haven't got that much done over the winter so could be a rude awakening, but nonetheless, a good starting point. Have only done a couple of sportives in total, is there different groups or what way does this one work?

grounded

Last year, went off in a number of groups with the faster bunch heading off first. Was a lovely dry day so most people done the longer route.

bennydorano

It's mainly a racing mens Sportive / Reliability Trial. Plenty of non-racing groups too, but because of the time of year probably not a lot of people out for a pleasant jaunt, like you would see in a Summer sportive.

haranguerer

Cheers - it sounds perfect, I'm not looking for a leisure cycle; trying to get the base miles in the legs for a few triathlons later in the year. I'll hopefully make it, keep an eye out for a lad on a cube peleton!

grounded

Unfortunately got late call into work and missed the wdw tour. Did anyone make it?

haranguerer

Aye, I made it down to it - found it tough going! It took off at a serious pace, I got settled into a group after ten miles or so, and made good progress, but everything got a bit disjointed after rostrevor - those wiser than me pulled in to refuel there, I tried to plough on and regretted it, the climb out of rostrevor towards hilltown was tough. Made slow and painful progress back to Castlewellan, and pulled in there for food which sorted me out for the spin back to Katesbridge.

Great crowd out, and great conditions too for the time of year. Good to get it under the belt - and learnt a lot about the necessity of eating as you go!

grounded

Good man, I think there was over 300 on it which was good for this time of year. Yeah the pull up the Newtown road from rostrevor to Hilltown is deceptive and has pot holes all the way! I seen some of the lead groups heading into rostrevor and they were motoring rightly.

grounded

Lidl have a cycle 'special' next Monday http://www.lidl-ni.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?id=661  or http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?id=733

I've bought a few bits and pieces from them before and were fairly good value. The bike stand at £25/ e30 looks excellent.

bennydorano

Sky getting into their stride early this year, good day today with1st & 3rd at E3 Harelbeke & stage win in Catalunya.

gerry

Another second for poor Pete it looked like he didn't have the legs today. 
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

He slept in bigtime today, caught on the hop.

heffo

Quote from: grounded on March 02, 2016, 09:43:30 PM
The bike stand at £25/ e30 looks excellent.

Got one - they're a great yoke

bennydorano

Wahey Petey gets a win at Ghent Wevelgem