Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: bennydorano on November 02, 2015, 04:33:46 PM
Invested in a set of Fulcrum Zeros, was talked out of the deep rimmed racing wheels i'd been keen on - by a man whose expertise I would trust I might add. Roll on Springtime.

What else did Bubbly have to say?   :P

JimStynes

Quote from: bennydorano on November 02, 2015, 04:33:46 PM
Invested in a set of Fulcrum Zeros, was talked out of the deep rimmed racing wheels i'd been keen on - by a man whose expertise I would trust I might add. Roll on Springtime.

What were the reasons against deep rimmed wheels?

bennydorano

He wasn't 'dissing' the deep rims as such, was saying a big fella like myself would get more benefit from the lighter Zeros, the lower rotational mass would be of more benefit, they have the ceramic barings too.

I still might buy a set of cheap carbon deep rims of Zuus next year anyway :) :)

illdecide

Guys ordered a bit of gear from ebay and TBH most of it was a pile of shite. The leggings i got were like tracing paper and when i wore them out the guy that normally is at the back of our group wasn't long until he was at the front (my arse was on full show and i didn't know it). they're all very tight too and i've actually lost 1/2 stone recently.

Can you recommend anywhere for decent winter gear as McConveys in Belfast next door to my work are very expensive...buying gear is worse than buying the bike FFS but i def need to get some winter gear sorted within the next few weeks...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

Quote from: illdecide on November 03, 2015, 11:31:21 AM
Guys ordered a bit of gear from ebay and TBH most of it was a pile of shite. The leggings i got were like tracing paper and when i wore them out the guy that normally is at the back of our group wasn't long until he was at the front (my arse was on full show and i didn't know it). they're all very tight too and i've actually lost 1/2 stone recently.

Can you recommend anywhere for decent winter gear as McConveys in Belfast next door to my work are very expensive...buying gear is worse than buying the bike FFS but i def need to get some winter gear sorted within the next few weeks...

What brand was the gear you bought ?

bennydorano

Agu winter tights of Planet X are powerful quality & value for the price(£40), very long legs on them tho, i've had to roll up the legging to get the padding in the right area - think mine were XL and i'm 6ft 2".  Speg winter tights also decent.

Bought a set of Castelli Velicissimo? for this winter, dear but top quality, XL spot on.

illdecide

Quote from: maddog on November 03, 2015, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: illdecide on November 03, 2015, 11:31:21 AM

What brand was the gear you bought ?

Chinese specialized ;)

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on November 03, 2015, 01:14:45 PM
Agu winter tights of Planet X are powerful quality & value for the price(£40), very long legs on them tho, i've had to roll up the legging to get the padding in the right area - think mine were XL and i'm 6ft 2".  Speg winter tights also decent.

Bought a set of Castelli Velicissimo? for this winter, dear but top quality, XL spot on.

I buy XL in all the gear because of 14 stone 10llb of frame, i'm 6ft but the big arse and frame doesn't help when picking this cycling gear :-[

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on November 03, 2015, 01:14:45 PM

Benny excuse my ignorance but do u buy the tights and wear your normal cycling shorts over the top of them or are they okay on their own?

bennydorano

As long as ur tights r padded shud be no need for anything else. Plenty of people do use padded shorts with paddless bib tights over the top of them - dont see the point myself. A good pair of shorts with good thermal leg warmers can do the job too, never have done it thru Winter so couldn't vouch for it.

haranguerer

Get yourself to decathlon.

I've a good pair of castelli bib shorts, wear winter gear over them (so the pad is on the inside, found its a lot more comfortable that way!), its all from decathlon, is great quality, and was cheap as chips.

laoislad

Have you tried sportsdirect.com illdecide?
I've bought tons of running gear on it anf its all been excellent.
They do cycling stuff also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

JimStynes

Assos is the only job, lovely and cheap too.

illdecide

Quote from: laoislad on November 03, 2015, 07:18:04 PM
Have you tried sportsdirect.com illdecide?
I've bought tons of running gear on it anf its all been excellent.
They do cycling stuff also.

Yes and TBH i thought the stuff from it was dirt, and i suppose it's the old saying you get what you pay for...

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on November 03, 2015, 07:58:58 PM
Assos is the only job, lovely and cheap too.

The sarcasm...They're so expensive only the rich farmers can afford them ;)