Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt Jabsco

Benny
Check out Cotswold Outdoors.com They have 2 stores in Belfast (Boucher and City Centre)

laoislad

After missing out on buying one of those turbo trainers in Aldi I started looking to buy one online.
Found out you can actually buy virtual trainers that let you 'ride' any route in the world by inputting the GPS data or by pre made videos and the turbo trainer automatically adjusts the resistance to simulate going up hills etc. You can have virtual races against other riders who have the same software also. I think that's pretty f**king cool to be honest!
As someone who loves their gadgets I took the plunge and ordered one yesterday!
This is the one I ordered
http://www.bkool.com/
It's expensive on the site but I got it for around €200 less on eBay brand new from a store in Italy.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Linkbox

Quote from: laoislad on October 04, 2015, 10:17:10 PM
After missing out on buying one of those turbo trainers in Aldi I started looking to buy one online.
Found out you can actually buy virtual trainers that let you 'ride' any route in the world by inputting the GPS data or by pre made videos and the turbo trainer automatically adjusts the resistance to simulate going up hills etc. You can have virtual races against other riders who have the same software also. I think that's pretty f**king cool to be honest!
As someone who loves their gadgets I took the plunge and ordered one yesterday!
This is the one I ordered
http://www.bkool.com/
It's expensive on the site but I got it for around €200 less on eBay brand new from a store in Italy.

Looks class! Enjoy.

JimStynes

Looking like we are heading back to the Alps or maybe even Pyrenees next year for 4 or 5 nights. Has anyone ever been and could they recommend a good place to base ourselves? Thinking of staying in Bourg d'Oisans in an apartment but not sure if that is good or not. 4 or 5 fellas from the club are going so should be good craic.

illdecide

Was going to buy a new bike for winter, r any of you men selling anything shortly?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Take a look on the Facebook cycling buy & sell page, there's always a good volume of traffic thru it. I've sold 2 bikes & various bits and pieces on it very quickly.

Clov

Quote from: JimStynes on October 05, 2015, 07:12:54 PM
Looking like we are heading back to the Alps or maybe even Pyrenees next year for 4 or 5 nights. Has anyone ever been and could they recommend a good place to base ourselves? Thinking of staying in Bourg d'Oisans in an apartment but not sure if that is good or not. 4 or 5 fellas from the club are going so should be good craic.

If you're considering the Pyrenees then I'd recommend Argeles Gazost. Very nice village with great access to lots of fantastic climbs - Col du Solour, Col d'Aubisque, Hautacam, Col du Tourmalet, Gavarnie etc.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

JimStynes

Sounds perfect! Do you have the name of any B and Bs?

illdecide

Quote from: bennydorano on October 06, 2015, 05:58:07 PM
Take a look on the Facebook cycling buy & sell page, there's always a good volume of traffic thru it. I've sold 2 bikes & various bits and pieces on it very quickly.

Well Benny...yes Jim Stynes put me onto that site on Facebook. It's good alright. I was in McConveys yesterday on Ormeau Rd and they've a new Specialized bike (Aluminium) for £480 i was thinking of buying it for the winter bike, a friend of mine works there and he's kinda looking after me but the problem is I've a decent bike and good shoes but i need a clatter of cycling clothes which are expensive too.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Clov

Quote from: JimStynes on October 06, 2015, 10:55:37 PM

We did AirB&B when we there but there but there were plenty of small hotels and guest houses about. This one was just across the street from us and looked grand http://www.au-primerose-hotel.com/
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Main Street

Quote from: illdecide on October 07, 2015, 08:49:17 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on October 06, 2015, 05:58:07 PM

Well Benny...yes Jim Stynes put me onto that site on Facebook. It's good alright. I was in McConveys yesterday on Ormeau Rd and they've a new Specialized bike (Aluminium) for £480 i was thinking of buying it for the winter bike, a friend of mine works there and he's kinda looking after me but the problem is I've a decent bike and good shoes but i need a clatter of cycling clothes which are expensive too.
I did a bit of bike related shopping  when I was back in Ireland recently for a visit. Personally, being of sterner fearless mtb, hard ass stature, I wouldn't go near those cycling tights with the ass cushion, but check out Lidl and Aldi for cycle clothing,  some pieces, a dirt cheap good quality  gilet (Crane?) look stronger in Aldi and Lidl (Crivit) do better in others  - excellent gloves and socks at Lidl also  2 types of their cycling jackets and their crivit hiking trousers did me grand. Then again I don't machine such stuff, just soak and hand wash.
Some of their other pieces I wouldn't go near.
I also couldn't resist buying a Voodoo Hoodoo mtb for 400eur at Halfords, which is stunningly good value.

JimStynes

Quote from: Clov on October 07, 2015, 09:45:17 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on October 06, 2015, 10:55:37 PM

We did AirB&B when we there but there but there were plenty of small hotels and guest houses about. This one was just across the street from us and looked grand http://www.au-primerose-hotel.com/

Will check it out. Looking at bike hire here and it is bloody expensive! Didn't want to bring my own but might have to. Also where did you fly into?

Clov

Yeah bike hire, especially for a decent bike, is very expensive.
I live in England so we went on the Eurostar and train as far as Lourdes and cycled it out from there. It meant we could take our own bikes.

Hereiam

Done 50 mile yesterday at 16mph avg. I hear guys on about drinking a chocolate milk shake to aid recovery after. Legs are sore today and could be doing with something.