Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Sky's Belarussian rider Vasili Kiryienka wins the World TT title in Richmond USA. Dumoulin (5th) & Tony Martin(7th) both had poor prep listening to Eurosport.

redzone

Cheers mate bought the first set there

laoislad

I see Lidl have turbo trainers for sale today.
Has any one got one? Is it something worth having?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on September 24, 2015, 12:29:37 PM

Do you mean Aldi? I was talking to a guy who got one yesterday and was happy with it

ludermor

I wouldnt go near it unless you have tried it a few times and like it. i got one a few years ago and like the idea of using them more than the reality. i found them very boring and very messy and noisy ( they eat tyres) so you need to have them in a shed or easily cleaned room . You have to use old tyres or specials and these shed a lot of rubber so might not be suitable for the road so  you might have to change tyres any time you want to go for a spin.

bennydorano

All that is true, but they are a great job & training tool as well if used correctly. I have an extra wheel i use for turboing that cuts down on the nuisance element. When i use it i wud be watching something on a tablet / laptop, have music on the go to counter the boredom. I also have a set of dumbells i use whilst on it as well to mix it up a bit.

laoislad

Quote from: ludermor on September 25, 2015, 10:09:03 AM
I wouldnt go near it unless you have tried it a few times and like it. i got one a few years ago and like the idea of using them more than the reality. i found them very boring and very messy and noisy ( they eat tyres) so you need to have them in a shed or easily cleaned room . You have to use old tyres or specials and these shed a lot of rubber so might not be suitable for the road so  you might have to change tyres any time you want to go for a spin.
Having to change tyres for a spin wouldn't bother or affect me as I would rather go for a run than a cycle tbh.
Was just thinking it would be good for keeping the fitness up during the bad winter nights or if I can't get out for a run.
Yeah it is Aldi and not Lidl that have them.

JimStynes

I have a love hate relationship with the turbo. Great for training on in the bad weather and you can do some really focused sessions (i.e cadence, sprints etc) on a turbo. You have to be motivated to use it though as it is very tough and can be boring. I use a HRM to make sure I am pushing myself as it is easy to bluff on a turbo and I also would use the sufferfest videos quite often. As benny said, when used right they're excellent, a pool of sweat around the bike quite often! Just after getting a direct drive turbo so it saves the hassle of taking wheels off etc and it is more of a realistic feel as well.

http://www.thesufferfest.com/training-videos/cycling-training-videos/

I have them all on a hard drive if anyone wants them!

laoislad

Went to 4 different Aldi stores today and they were all sold out.
Ah well.

gerry

i went for the rollers with a hrm rather than a turbo, anybody else use rollers 
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Mayo4Sam

I do, don't find it compares to the turbo for intensity but great for handling and core stability.
Generally I use it as a speed set or recovery
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

gerry

I bought myself two steel yokes for the winter, this Peugeot was made in 1986. Only down fall its a 52 42 x 14 24 and i usually ride a compact so i may stay away from the hills.

I also bought a Raleigh grand tour but i need to get a seat sorted for it before i post up a photo

gerry

BennyCake

Anyone know where I could get solar powered and bicycle powered equipment for touring/camping?

I heard lately there are gizmos that you can power while walking too that will charge phones, and create enough electricity to power a light, boil a kettle etc. Any tips?