Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

majestic

Started cycling about two months now - mainly to and from work, but will get out on the odd evening for a longer spin. I was just wondering if anyone had some decent routes for the belfast area. Use the towpath most days in and out of work from Shaws down to the docks, and then out towards lisburn. I've also been out as far as Jordanstown in the opposite direction. Any Suggestions welcome.

JimStynes

Head up ligoniel hill and then onto Divis. Nice wee easy one.

LeoMc

Couple of quick technical questions here. Was playing about with the Ribble bike builder and a few of the options had me wondering, mainly from a mechanical perspective.

1. There are a lot of options for the cassettes from 11-25, 12-26, 12-29, 11-32, etc. Why would anyone not go for the widest range possible to give you more options? Why pick a 12-27 over an 11-29?

2. Again for the chain-set I can understand the whole compact / semi / standard options but for the pedal length (170 / 172.5 / 175) would the obvious option not be the longer length to give better leverage? Why would someone pick a chain-set with the smaller pedal lengths?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: JimStynes on June 24, 2015, 04:29:44 PM
Head up ligoniel hill and then onto Divis. Nice wee easy one.

Have gone that way home (in the car) many times when the traffic has been bad on the motorway and the thought of trying that on the bike has crossed my mind several times - it's an absolute monster but would still love to give it a go from the City Centre out!

maddog

Quote from: LeoMc on June 25, 2015, 09:20:01 AM
Couple of quick technical questions here. Was playing about with the Ribble bike builder and a few of the options had me wondering, mainly from a mechanical perspective.

1. There are a lot of options for the cassettes from 11-25, 12-26, 12-29, 11-32, etc. Why would anyone not go for the widest range possible to give you more options? Why pick a 12-27 over an 11-29?

2. Again for the chain-set I can understand the whole compact / semi / standard options but for the pedal length (170 / 172.5 / 175) would the obvious option not be the longer length to give better leverage? Why would someone pick a chain-set with the smaller pedal lengths?

On question 1 its all down to the type of riding you intend to do. 11-25 i would suggest is a road racing / time trial set up with very close ratios between each gear. If you are fit enough to cope on hilly terrain with that set up then you are "fit enough" alright. If you are doing sportives etc and just general fitness then you might want to go up to a 30 on the back with a compact chainset of 34/50 or something in around that. You will cope with all types of terrain with that.

On q2 most bikes i think are 172.5, has to do with leg length, for riders with long legs a proportionately longer crank arm is an option. If you were doing criterium type racing you might not want this as it affects your ability to pedal continuously in and out of corners. As i found out a few times.

LeoMc

Quote from: maddog on June 25, 2015, 09:51:54 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 25, 2015, 09:20:01 AM

On question 1 its all down to the type of riding you intend to do. 11-25 i would suggest is a road racing / time trial set up with very close ratios between each gear. If you are fit enough to cope on hilly terrain with that set up then you are "fit enough" alright. If you are doing sportives etc and just general fitness then you might want to go up to a 30 on the back with a compact chainset of 34/50 or something in around that. You will cope with all types of terrain with that.

On q2 most bikes i think are 172.5, has to do with leg length, for riders with long legs a proportionately longer crank arm is an option. If you were doing criterium type racing you might not want this as it affects your ability to pedal continuously in and out of corners. As i found out a few times.
Cheers, makes sense.
I had seen the tighter ratio referred to as a corncob set-up on another forum. However when I searched that term I got something very different (NSFW).

JimStynes

Going to be tackling this bad boy next week!

Lacets De Montvernier

bennydorano

Bought some Ale bib shorts & top, wild dear but it's some gear. Didn't even have a sore arse after Wicklow 200! The low slung shorts are a great job as i would find when i'm under pressure i can feel very restrictred in the dermy / lower chest area. I've prob 5/6 different brands of shorts on the go - worst has to be a pair of Santini bib shorts that weren't cheap either.

JimStynes

Ive a couple pairs of santini and they're good for me but on their last legs now. Castelli ones as well would be a level above them. The best by a mile that I have are Assos. Any of the assos gear i own is far superior to the other brands I own. They're ridiculously expensive though! I must look out for deals on those Ale ones Benny.

bennydorano

Tenn Outdoors have a powerful set of bib shorts for in round £25. Best value bib shorts i've ever came across - i've 2 pairs of those (I think maddog sent me their direction a long time ago).

Orior

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2015, 08:54:11 PM
Bought some Ale bib shorts & top, wild dear but it's some gear. Didn't even have a sore arse after Wicklow 200! The low slung shorts are a great job as i would find when i'm under pressure i can feel very restrictred in the dermy / lower chest area. I've prob 5/6 different brands of shorts on the go - worst has to be a pair of Santini bib shorts that weren't cheap either.

Is this what you mean?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

LeoMc

Quote from: JimStynes on June 25, 2015, 09:09:02 PM
Ive a couple pairs of santini and they're good for me but on their last legs now. Castelli ones as well would be a level above them. The best by a mile that I have are Assos. Any of the assos gear i own is far superior to the other brands I own. They're ridiculously expensive though! I must look out for deals on those Ale ones Benny.
Was out in Majorca recently and looking round an Assos outlet, still not cheap but you would have got their bib shorts for around E110.
Had a wee rattle at a few of the hills on a rented Cannondale, great way to get a run on a Nike you couldn't afford otherwise.

bennydorano

Quote from: JimStynes on June 25, 2015, 07:48:55 PM

Lacets De Montvernier

Don't want to sicken your happiness but you know the French Air Traffic Controllers are acting the bollix again, next week too. Same shite every year.

illdecide

Guys just when you're on the topic of shorts...is there really a difference in the different brands. From I got my new bike my arse is wild sore. The shorts I'm using are just muddy fox from sports direct but I assumed shorts were shorts
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on June 27, 2015, 08:49:08 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on June 25, 2015, 07:48:55 PM

Lacets De Montvernier

Don't want to sicken your happiness but you know the French Air Traffic Controllers are acting the bollix again, next week too. Same shite every year.

Bad as French ATC are, looking at that photo I would blame gravity, and maybe fermentation ahead of them.
MWWSI 2017